Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Ditched my PDA, use the Kindle

For years, have taken my PDA with me because have a lot of important info besides the Contacts' phone numbers and addresses. I often need access to my medical records, have a list of emergency contacts, and lots of other documents that often are helpful to have.

I was never really fond of the PDA as the screen was pretty small, even though could zoom in on the text. And had to mess around with the touch screen with a stylus.

So, after having the Kindle for about a week, I made .doc copies of all these documents and transferred them to the Kindle. To keep them at the top of the Home book list, I titled them such as A_PHONELIST, A_MEDICALRECORDS, etc.

Now, when I need this info, just pull out the Kindle, which take everywhere with me anyway, and all that info is quickly and easily available, in a text size that's easy to read.

Anybody want to buy an old PDA?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I still like mine for synching with my calendar but I do have my recipes and some other docs on the kindle. Way easier to work with. I put shopping lists on their and travel itineraries. Having the screen on with my smartphone wears the battery down and it goes off every 10 seconds so if I have to look at the doc for long I have to keep reactivating the screen. The Kindle is way better for stuff like that. It also fits in my cookbook holder easily so I worry about it less in the kitchen than I do my laptop. I just wish they'd implement a folder system.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If I had a calender function that would sync with my PC I'd probably ditch my PDA, too. I'd also need to enter in new calender info into the Kindle. As is I still need my PDA for calendering.

The Kindle is great for static lists.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If I had a calender function that would sync with my PC I'd probably ditch my PDA, too. I'd also need to enter in new calender info into the Kindle. As is I still need my PDA for calendering.

The Kindle is great for static lists.
I don't know if this is of any interest but here's a page on using google apps including Calender with your Kindle.

http://elgan.com/k/
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Thanks! When Google Calender was first introduced there wasn't a way to sync with or covert from a Palm. I just went looking around and found GooSync which will go just that. Plus, I could also access my Calender via my cell phone. Now, I'll have to seriously consider moving away from my beloved Palm.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't know if this is of any interest but here's a page on using google apps including Calender with your Kindle.

http://elgan.com/k/
Thanks for the link! That will be very helpful when I get my new Kindle in Dec!
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Until the Kindle has a way to password protect documents, I would forewarn against keeping anything confidential on the Kindle (in case it gets lost).

Same applies to locking your pdas and cell phone...I had a friend lose his cell phone and someone decided to use it to call people in his address book (in the middle of the night) before he realized it was missing. People were panicked that some mishap had befallen him.

Last edited by Boston; 11-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote