Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
New home screen limited to four books?

It has been my habit for many decades to be reading multiple books concurrently - I read a chapter here and a chapter there.

The old home screen, as I recall, could have at least seven books displayed. The new one seems restricted to four, which is too few for my purposes.

Is there any way to get around this limitation of four? At the moment half of the home screen is occupied with crap which I can't dismiss and in which I have no interest.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, that's how it works. The top row will show the four most recently opened and not finished books. There has been a LOT of discussion about the new home screen for the last few months.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2017, 03:53 AM   #3
lightbulbjim
Enthusiast
lightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five wordslightbulbjim can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo
Hamburger menu -> My Books -> Sort by recent
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you hate it that much, you always have the choice to go back to older firmware to get the old home screen back. I'm on 4.2.8110 and will probably never update again because of the new home screen. It's not a problem for me since I never sync books with Kobo, I only sideload books to my readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just to add to lightbulbjim's suggestion, if you set the options to "sort by recent" and "cover view" you should get more book covers (with progress/completion info) on the books page than you did on the old home screen. You can navigate back-and-forth between book and books page without ever visiting the homescreen.

It is probably better on the larger screen, but even on my old Glo (fw 4.5.9587) I get eight book covers with progress and/or completion status per page with cover view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GloCoverView.png
Views:	297
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	159116  
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader has added "Display mode" settings, that include such images for its "File Browser" and its "History" listing. The attached screenshots:

Luck;
Ken

Sorry, I could have set it up with better examples, this is just using my current files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FileManager_2017-Sep-22_082302.png
Views:	233
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	159122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_2017-Sep-22_075537.png
Views:	293
Size:	772.3 KB
ID:	159123  
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Hamburger menu -> My Books -> Sort by recent
That sorts by most recent books added to the device, not most recently read. It's probably a decent replacement for some usage patterns, but not if you sync a large library to the device and then read at your leisure.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
That sorts by most recent books added to the device, not most recently read. It's probably a decent replacement for some usage patterns, but not if you sync a large library to the device and then read at your leisure.
The "Date added" option sorts by the date added to the device; the "Recent" option sorts by the date of the most recent action on the book: sideloading, downloading, opening, reading, finishing, etc.

I.e. "Recent" sorts in exactly the same way that the old tiled home screen did, except that you can't dismiss individual books like you could dismiss individual tiles. (But for the OP who has many books on the go, the "Reading" filter could be used to exclude the finished and unread books.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
It has been my habit for many decades to be reading multiple books concurrently - I read a chapter here and a chapter there.

The old home screen, as I recall, could have at least seven books displayed. The new one seems restricted to four, which is too few for my purposes.

Is there any way to get around this limitation of four? At the moment half of the home screen is occupied with crap which I can't dismiss and in which I have no interest.
Best fix is to go back to a previous version and don't turn wifi on again, or connect to the desktop app. That way you avoid updates. You can download your Kobo books to your PC and side load to your device. I have one of my devices on the new screen. Can't say I like it all that much.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Best fix is to go back to a previous version and don't turn wifi on again, or connect to the desktop app. That way you avoid updates. You can download your Kobo books to your PC and side load to your device. I have one of my devices on the new screen. Can't say I like it all that much.
This is my solution for both my Kobo Aura One and my Aura HD.

Might not be available though to people who purchase newer Kobos that come with a firmware with the "new" homescreen.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Might not be available though to people who purchase newer Kobos that come with a firmware with the "new" homescreen.
For future devices, yes. From what I've read here, all of the newest can run an older than current version of the FW.

There are things I like about the newest FW, it's just the home screen that is ok, but I like it less than the previous one. I like having 6 or 7 book covers showing. I also think the latest FW is slightly slower, in responsiveness, than previous versions.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hmm, I find the new menu system much more efficient than the old one (which I didn't have any problem with either).

I also read several books at a time. I simple press the "meny" buttom, "my books" and it shows the books I read last (sort: recent). Can it be simpler?

Practically no reason to go to the home screen anymore.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Hmm, I find the new menu system much more efficient than the old one (which I didn't have any problem with either).

I also read several books at a time. I simple press the "meny" buttom, "my books" and it shows the books I read last (sort: recent). Can it be simpler?

Practically no reason to go to the home screen anymore.
Yes, works fine, until you add a bunch of books.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #14
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I add books all the time. Still works fine. Still easy.

Could it be better? Sure.

For me, the new menu system is a big improvement in way of ease.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I add books all the time. Still works fine. Still easy.

Could it be better? Sure.

For me, the new menu system is a big improvement in way of ease.
Your opened books are still at the top of the list? Maybe I need to check my settings.

You must have Show: Reading Sort: Recent. I'll keep it like that for awhile!

Last edited by booklover6; 09-25-2017 at 12:27 PM.