Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
brand new aura (2nd edition) dead, won't boot

Had it about 2 weeks now

finished 1 book, just started 2nd, and overnight it's seemingly dropped from 85% battery to completely dead

plug it back into power, and the white charge LED pops on, and screen turns on

the loading process thing, (5 white squares) turn black one at a time but stalls at 4/5 black, then it dies and screen goes black again.

won't boot again

I did install KSM version 8, and it seemed to work fine (it's lived with it for 8 or 9 days)

anything else I can do other than return it?
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Connect the device to PC with KSM, and sideload the firmware 4.4.9349 mark 6.

EDIT: Download the firmware from here, I meant firmware 4.4.9344.

Last edited by oren64; 05-19-2017 at 01:20 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Belay that. If this is Aura 2, (and not Aura One,, who comes up with this model naming scheme), it's not affected by the black screen bug, nor hsould it receive the 4.4.9349 update. (The symptom does sound remarkably similar. any other reports of Aura 2 being affected?).

Edit: I can't see any reference to the 4.4 update even being pushed to the Aura 2. But I suppose it's entirely possible for some value of affiliate code, that did happen, and the kobo reacts the same way. Sorry I can't offer any more insight.

Last edited by rashkae; 05-19-2017 at 01:36 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
It affected my 2nd ed Aura too. Was still pushing wrong update for me for most of yesterday after factory resets. I rolled back (9298?)and now it's not pushing any updates.

Last edited by tea2; 05-19-2017 at 02:24 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay then, I suppose Oren knows more about Kobo firmwares than I do Sorry for sticking my nose in. Carry on.
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't have known what to do without you all, so it's all good.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Connect the device to PC with KSM, and sideload the firmware 4.4.9349 mark 6.

EDIT: Download the firmware from here, I meant firmware 4.4.9344.
I guess I'm missing something

it doesn't turn on

how am i going to sideload firmware?

it doesn't boot to a stage where you can interact with it
Old 05-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
tea2
Zealot

If it is the result of the bad update, it's potentially still on, so you can either

a) fish around on the dark screen for the connect button (as some others on the Aura One thread did) after you plug it in to your computer
b) or power it off with a brief press and reboot into restore/factory reset, which is what I did.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the wifi update is still pushing the bad software for the Aura 2nd ed, which is why I rolled back. It was pushing the bad one on wifi update for quite awhile yesterday. Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited by tea2; 05-19-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
Tikker
Zealot

ok, so mashing the screen I got it to magically connect

black screen of stupid I guess

I have the ereader open in windows explorer now, so I guess I can put a differnt firmware in now?

Last edited by Tikker; 05-19-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
I guess I'm missing something

it doesn't turn on

how am i going to sideload firmware?

it doesn't boot to a stage where you can interact with it
You said you install KSM, When you trying to boot the device do you first get to KSM menu?

If it does't work try performing a manual factory reset.
https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...aura-edition-2
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
Tikker
Zealot

downloading the 9298 update. which folder do I dump it into?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
downloading the 9298 update. which folder do I dump it into?
If you managed to connect to PC, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...81&postcount=3
Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
rashkae
Wizard

You unzip the update file, and copy the contents into the .kobo directory.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
Tikker
Zealot

well, that seems to have fixed it

thanks!

i was about 10 minutes from returning it and finding a differnt e-reader
Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
Dan5878
Dan5878 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura edition 2
I'm having the same black screen but cannot figure out how to connect it to my pc or even charge, I've tried so many usb leads ....bot sure what else I can do as I'm a complete newbie
Dan5878 is offline   Reply With Quote