Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Oddly, I'll recommend Nora Roberts' Blue Smoke or Northern Lights - the latter is told from the male point of view, and works pretty well I think.

My husband is hooked on the JD Robb In Death books.

ETA: oh, yeah, Three Fates by Roberts. Also the Macaade brothers:

1. The Return of Rafe MacKade (1995)
2. The Pride of Jared MacKade (1995)
3. The Heart of Devin MacKade (1996)
4. The Fall of Shane MacKade (1996)

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 08-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #32
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have NOT read any of these, but I just came across a couple of military romantic suspense books - and definitely marketed as romance - by a male author. No clue if that means they'd be any easier to read BY a male, but hey...you can check them out and see if you're interested.

By the way, I was reading this blog entry and realized this "ML Buchanan" was a guy, not a woman publishing under her initials.

Even better, the DANL website sells the books without DRM, woo-hoo!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #33
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Another DANL author who's a guy writing under a gender-ambiguous name is Leigh Greenwood, who writes western romances with a male viewpoint, according to his blog feature post: Leigh Greenwood Talks Tough Men

I'm not normally a romance reader so I haven't read anything of his, but when he had some KDP freebies, IIRC one of the romance fans said he wrote good books?

For the record, a couple of dedicated romance novels I mostly enjoyed which had alternating male/female viewpoints: Shana Galen's Lord and Lady Spy (currently dirt-cheap on sale at DANL once you add in the discover15 discount coupon; I used one of my monthly free book credits and while it was a lighter read than I would have liked, I don't regret it), several of Roberta Gellis' assorted medieval England historical novels (quality and annoyance factor of the relationship drama varies, but very well researched and plotty; available DRM-free at Baen and Ellora's Cave which has the entire Royal Dynasty series which is one of the ones I read for just 99 cents each).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post
Two incredibly well written and beautifully romantic stories from a male perspective come to mind:

Somewhere in Time (originally published as Bid Time Return)
and
What Dreams May Come

both by Richard Matheson

Both are incredibly romantic and heartbreaking, with the hero trying to find the love of his life across time (Somewhere in Time) and from beyond death (What Dreams May Come).
Oh wow! I didn't realise What Dreams May Come was a book. I loved that movie. Heartbreaking - and I would definitely say it had more of a male-oriented romantic vibe to it.

I'm hunting down the book now to add to be TBR list. Karma for you.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #35
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Oh, and for those of us who were more captivated by the love story than the time-travel/JFK-assassination-prevention "main" plot of Stephen King's 11/22/63, I'd recommend Ken Grimwood's Replay.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #36
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I first read Replay in 1988 on the recommendation of a friend. It was very thought provoking.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #37
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Oh wow! I didn't realise What Dreams May Come was a book. I loved that movie. Heartbreaking - and I would definitely say it had more of a male-oriented romantic vibe to it.

I'm hunting down the book now to add to be TBR list. Karma for you.
The book What Dreams May Come is beautiful. The movie does not compare. There is a part in that book...that will break your heart. You probably know it, but in the book the entire build up to that moment, what he's going through emotionally...it's just terrible and sad. I actually had a beautiful hardbound edition of this book in my possession years ago and I no longer have it. But it is one of my favorite books.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #38
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
well, this one is really romantic: by a male author, with a male perspective, only snag is that it is in the first person - but I promise you, no bragging here.
An equal music, by Vikram Set
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50366.An_Equal_Music

You can look inside on amazon to see how you like the opening pages. If you really cannot stand the first person, another deeply romantic one is Spring Snow, by Yukio Mishima - you'll get the male perspective there.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62793.Spring_Snow

If you don't want to spend money, one you may find in the public domain is
The Red and the Black, by Stendhal
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..._and_the_Black
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #39
raychensmith
raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not quite sure what it means that a romance is written for guys, but I'm a guy and I found The Time Traveler's Wife very admirable. It's not overly syrupy like Nicholas Sparks's stuff. The romance is quite reality-based (yeah, I know, the guy travels through time!) and not overly out there like, say, The Bridges of Madison County. I recommend the book wholeheartedly.
raychensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #40
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Some Lindsay Sands novels that are from a male vampire's point of view.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #41
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have enjoyed the Romantic Comedy found in books by Jennifer Crusie and Janet Evanovitch. I enjoy the amusement, teasing and humor that goes with the romance.

But romances where 'tension' is created by the characters being so shallow that they have feelings for each other but can never seem to express said feelings in a conversation - too much like immature high school for me.

I just finished "Dance of the Winnebagos" by Anne Charles and it was light and fun.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #42
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
there's a early trilogy by edith layton - the books have cheesy names: love in disguise, surrender to love and the game of love. the stories switch pov, and we get into the heads of all the characters including the guys. interesting guys, at that.

i also like the idea of the spenser novels. after he meets susan early on, their relationship is a main feature of his life.

and a sort of goofy book i got as a freebie on amazon called Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook: Eddie will do whatever it takes to become her Mr. Right by Matt Dunn. not sure if it would cover the romance angle exactly - it's more like funny chicklit except from the point of view of the guy, but there is a romance with a nice conclusion.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #43
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
American Psycho
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
As a serious romance fanatic. I recommend Jennifer Crusie/Bob Mayer if you like funny romantic books. I just finished these and as a woman found Don't Look Down seriously lacking in the mushy stuff.

Bob Mayer is a great action writer but sucks when it comes to romance. The second book Agnes and the Hitman was definitely much better and I laughed the whole way through it.

I don't think of Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich as a romance but they are great books if you like funny cozy mysteries. Yes there is a love triangle but they have a little bit of everything. I am huge fan of this series! However they are written from first person who is a female but I know alot of men read the series so I am throwing it in there.

Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series is about Navy Seals finding love and has been recommended in similar threads for guys to try.

Catherine Coulter's FBI series is pretty good. It has romance in it but it's more a mystery\thriller type.

I just bought a book written by a guy who is writing a series with his wife. Nico Rosso is his name and his wife is Zoe Archer. It's a steampunk series.

I'm always interesting in guys writing romance. Not many out there but there are times I prefer a real male perspective and I found Mayer's quite macho monotone dialogue entertaining.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #45
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby? I'm a girl, so guys please chime in and say if this is a good recommendation or not.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance novels, romance stories