Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #46
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No. That chart is less then useful. The correct reading order for Discworld is the published order. Terry does not recap things. And he does reference things that happened before. So you will end up spoiling things if you follow that rather useless chart.

Read in published order for the best reading enjoyment of Discworld.
And you can find the published order here.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #47
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
No. That chart is less then useful. The correct reading order for Discworld is the published order. Terry does not recap things. And he does reference things that happened before. So you will end up spoiling things if you follow that rather useless chart.

Read in published order for the best reading enjoyment of Discworld.
Sorry Jon, but I disagree. There's no reason that you can't read the "Watch" series (for instance) and enjoy them on their own. There is *nothing* inherently serial about the Discworld books. They inhabit a common world and have common characters that live in that world. Nothing more.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #48
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
No. That chart is less then useful. The correct reading order for Discworld is the published order.
Couldn't agree more.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Sorry Jon, but I disagree. There's no reason that you can't read the "Watch" series (for instance) and enjoy them on their own. There is *nothing* inherently serial about the Discworld books. They inhabit a common world and have common characters that live in that world. Nothing more.
Terry sometimes makes references to previous books and not just in the same arc. So unless you've read the previous books, the references won't mean as much or might not mean anything. Also, you could up up with spoilers for parts of earlier books. Take Soul Music. There are huge references to previous books that if you have not read, then you won't understand the references.

Terry does not recap. So you have to have read the previous books. I like that he does not recap. That's just a waste since we should already have read in published order. Even Terry agrees that the order is the published order.

Do you want to ruin the reading experience for yourself and others by recommending a chart that is so wrong? You just enjoy reading out of order and reading spoilers and stuff you won't understand. I'll just enjoy the books as they were meant to be enjoyed and I hope others will do the same.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #50
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Well Jon, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion and in my experience, the books *can* be enjoyed by dropping into the beginning of an arc. Your mileage may vary. Enjoy them in whatever way works for you.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #51
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
I have to disagree on 'having to' read the books in order. I'm a huge fan and I've probably read 10 or so of the Discworld (and a few Tiffany Aching books) over the past decade. I haven't read any of them in a specific order, but I don't feel it's that really necessary.

Sure, there are some references to previous works in just about every novel, but they're usually in passing and not integral to the stories. I have found that every novel is very much a stand alone work (which is a refreshing break from the 10+ book series trend in the fantasy world these days.)

For what it's worth, I like the books with Death/Susan and the Witches the most, followed by the Wizards and Guards. Rincewind I find to be the least interesting character. In retrospect, I'm extremely lucky that I didn't read The Colour of Magic first! I never would have gotten into them.
Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #52
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Having orignally read the books in order (more or less) and having read all of the non juviniles, I would like to point out that Prattchett builds his world a little bit more with each book.

It is probably correct that it is not essential to read them in order, but if one does not, there are nuances and references that you will miss if you only read certain ones.

The Librarian's name, for instance.

Many characters, Death for example, are introduced in the very first book and Pratchett only expands characters. He does not rehash them.
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote