Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #46
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Wow, that was extreme. :P *rimshot* lol.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #47
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I felt it all the way down to my extremities.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #48
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm glad you all took me extremely seriously.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #49
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
lol, it's too bad these posts don't have a thumbs up option as I'd give you an epic thumbs up for that pun.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #50
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
lol, it's too bad these posts don't have a thumbs up option as I'd give you an epic thumbs up for that pun.
We have Karma instead of thumbs.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #51
toddhicks209
Enthusiast
toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddhicks209 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Okay, I have a question that a friend of mine brought up involving the punctuation used on narration. Her comment was, "the only two punctuation points you can use in narration is the period and the question mark. No exclamation marks, shock points or anything else, period. Those should be reserved strictly for dialog." What's your thoughts on this? Myself, I kinda enjoy adding a bit of excitement into my narration with ! and !? and even italics on certain words to add some fire to the narrative. To me, anything less is too boring. I mean, when I read narration without some kind of periodical heart pumping exclamation points, and shock points (ie, !?) at the very least, and some italics'ed words as well, seems almost necessary. What do you think?
For narration punctuation, I merely use punctuation or quotation marks at the beginning and end of sentences that show the characters saying something. In some parts of my books, I create a dialogue where I display the names of the characters followed by a colon followed by the characters speaking.
toddhicks209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #52
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhicks209 View Post
For narration punctuation, I merely use punctuation or quotation marks at the beginning and end of sentences that show the characters saying something. In some parts of my books, I create a dialogue where I display the names of the characters followed by a colon followed by the characters speaking.
The sentence I highlighted above stuck me as strange. It sounds more like playscript than narrative. Under what circumstances do you do this? What made you start?

Given that I managed to write a 3300 word short story that was entirely dialogue, with no character attributions at all (and it worked), I have trouble working out why it would ever be necessary or desirable to use a colon.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #53
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The sentence I highlighted above stuck me as strange. It sounds more like playscript than narrative. Under what circumstances do you do this? What made you start?

Given that I managed to write a 3300 word short story that was entirely dialogue, with no character attributions at all (and it worked), I have trouble working out why it would ever be necessary or desirable to use a colon.
You are Ayn Rand????
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #54
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You are Ayn Rand????
I did say "short" story! It was an experiment. Practising the art of not using attributions, and - most especially - not using adverbs to explain the character's mood and emphasis. (What better way to practise avoiding adverbs than to not have the verb.) But, though it started as an experiment, I liked the result. Sort of like listening to a radio broadcast.

Last edited by gmw; 07-27-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Removing a useless adverb ;)