Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Rotating Nominations

Help us select what the MR Literary Club will read for its Rotating months!

In these months, we’ll take turns choosing the selections to be put to the vote. The idea is that everyone will take a turn at some point.

As far as who goes when, I think we’re a small enough and amenable enough group that I’d like to leave it up to us. I don’t think we need to plan too far ahead. I see something like us simply keeping a running discussion going here, and when I ask people can volunteer for an upcoming month.

Whoever’s turn it is can simply post your selections here once I ask for them on the first of the month.

The only requirements for the selections are that they are literary, that none have been the monthly selection of either book club yet and that they number at least four. That’s it, pretty simple. Any questions, just ask!

I feel like we know and respect each other so I’m confident that these rotating months will be filled with good, interesting selections. The idea is for these months to be comfortable and fun for members. I want everyone to feel like it’s simply part of the club to have a turn at some point, and no big deal since everyone will have a go, and trust that the atmosphere in the club will be to treat each person’s Rotating selections with positivity and respect.

What is literature for the purposes of this club? A superior work of lasting merit that enriches the mind. Often it is important, challenging, critically acclaimed. It may be from ancient times to today; it may be from anywhere in the world; it may be obscure or famous, short or long; it may be a story, a novel, a play, a poem, an essay or another written form.

So, the first month, August, is now approaching. I wouldn’t mind going first as the test pilot, in case anything needs adjusting, but if anyone else would like to go in August instead, I don’t mind so let me know!

Volunteers by month-

2018 June, -rest-
2018 April, -rest-
2018 February, -rest-
2017 December, sun surfer
2017 October, Bookworm_Girl
2017 August, Spinnenmonat
2017 June, Bookpossum
2017 April, bfisher
2017 February, fantasyfan
2016 December, Retrospective -reset-
2016 October, Bookworm_Girl
2016 August, sun surfer
2016 June, fantasyfan
2016 April, Spinnenmonat
2016 February, Bookpossum
2015 December, bfisher
2015 October, Retrospective -reset-
2015 August, ccowie
2015 June, caleb72
2015 April, paola
2015 February, HomeInMyShoes
2014 December, Billi
2014 October, Bookworm_Girl
2014 August, desertblues
2014 June, issybird
2014 April, Hamlet53
2014 February, BelleZora
2013 December, fantasyfan
2013 October, Bookpossum
2013 August, sun surfer

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-26-2017 at 12:02 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You have the floor.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, go for it! I am already very curious how this kind of bookfinding will be.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have a suggestion which may cause a shudder in those to whom it applies!

I know getting a nomination past the goal post involves a lot of luck in any given month. That said, perhaps one of the stalwarts who show up every month but have had bad luck in the stakes would like to go first? Billi and Bookpossum occur to me, but I may be missing out someone, no offense intended, or missed a successful nomination, for that matter.

I figure we'll all get a turn eventually, but it might shake up things a bit to have someone "new" go first.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I agree.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 07-14-2013 at 09:09 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have a suggestion which may cause a shudder in those to whom it applies!
Yes, it did! I would very much prefer it to be a "watcher" this time. I understand that the success of this new mode (partly) depends on our readiness to be "the moderator of the month" and I will do it too, but, please, not at the beginning. Let sun surfer be the first one and I'm sure he has already made up his mind which books he could propose.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes, it did! I would very much prefer it to be a "watcher" this time.
Too bad! I'm looking forward to your month.

In the spirit of Never Say Die, perhaps Bookpossum would like to go? Intending no disrespect to sun surfer, of course. I just think it would be nice for someone to go who hasn't had a shot yet.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes, it did! I would very much prefer it to be a "watcher" this time. I understand that the success of this new mode (partly) depends on our readiness to be "the moderator of the month" and I will do it too, but, please, not at the beginning. Let sun surfer be the first one and I'm sure he has already made up his mind which books he could propose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Too bad! I'm looking forward to your month.

In the spirit of Never Say Die, perhaps Bookpossum would like to go? Intending no disrespect to sun surfer, of course. I just think it would be nice for someone to go who hasn't had a shot yet.
It seems that not so long ago, or at least when the idea of a member pick was first put in place, there was competition to be that member. I'm easy with Sun Surfer or whoever else it may be. I'm sure that given the participants here and at least four books to select from that a good read will be in the cards.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've waited a few days to see if anyone else wanted to volunteer to go first instead, and seeing no takers I'll consider the matter closed for this month and I'll have my go at it in August.

I think having my turn will be enjoyable, but I didn't volunteer just for the fun of going first - for instance, I never put myself in consideration for a lottery month, not because I didn't want to but because as head of the club I wanted to give everyone else a chance first. And I might've preferred not to take my turn after a month where a nomination of mine won, and a bit controversially at that, heh. I just consider that if we encounter any unforeseen bumps in the beginning, after Bookpossum suggested I go first in the general discussion thread I thought I wouldn't mind putting myself out there to be the one dealing with them.

Billi, I definitely have not made up my mind on nominations yet! I wasn't sure if anyone else would volunteer, so I haven't even begun to consider what I'll nominate yet.

issybird, your suggestion was great, and that's one thing I really like about the idea of these Rotating months - that everyone will have a month where one of their nominations will be the winner. Though none volunteered for this first month, I'm still happy that whether first, second, tenth or whenever, those who may have been unlucky so far will take a turn.

Just to be clear, the matter of who's going in August is now settled, and I'll post nominations on August 1st.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Just to be clear, the matter of who's going in August is now settled, and I'll post nominations on August 1st.
yay!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
You have the floor.
Quote:
Yes, go for it! I am already very curious how this kind of bookfinding will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
It seems that not so long ago, or at least when the idea of a member pick was first put in place, there was competition to be that member. I'm easy with Sun Surfer or whoever else it may be. I'm sure that given the participants here and at least four books to select from that a good read will be in the cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
yay!
.......and so say all of us........

Spoiler:
Though it being summer at last in these parts, I do have little time in August. Much work and I go (yes again, Billi) cycling for a few weeks in Eastern Germany---Mecklenburger Seeenplatte.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Sorry - I have been away a few days and missed finding this thread earlier. I am very happy with the idea of sun surfer leading the way.

However, thank you to issybird for the thought about those who have "missed out" with their nominations. I'm with Billi and am comfortable to wait my turn. I really don't feel at all badly done to!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
Billi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Spoiler:
Though it being summer at last in these parts, I do have little time in August. Much work and I go (yes again, Billi) cycling for a few weeks in Eastern Germany---Mecklenburger Seeenplatte.
Spoiler:
Goede reis! I'm just awaiting my daughter back who spent a week camping and canoeing there and this seems to become a yearly tradition too. And they are speaking a mild plattdeutsch there!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I really don't feel at all badly done to!
Absolutely. It's rather the contrary - I find it much more interesting to read books that I would not have found by myself.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

And so, sometimes, when it rains, it pours.

Here are my nominations for August. I chose by what interested me, what I thought might make for good discussion and what I thought others may be interested in, but, first and foremost, since I only get one shot at this for a long while, my main criterion was which works especially interested me, and I'll be more than happy with any of these nominations winning.

This exercise of making an open-ended list of nominations for the group proved to be quite enjoyable, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when it's your turn. I'll post the vote within the day. Without further ado:

Close Range: Wyoming Stories by Annie Proulx

Selected Stories of Henry James
-The Beast in the Jungle
-The Turn of the Screw
-Daisy Miller
-The Birthplace
-Brooksmith
-A Passionate Pilgrim

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill

The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse
& Historia Calamitatum by Pierre Abélard