Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Mobile wifi hotspot advice, please?

In a little bit, my family and I will be traveling. Most hotels in the US charge $9.99 per day per device for connectivity - with four of us with laptops, that gets expensive really fast.

is there a pre-paid mobile gizmo that we could get that would allow the four of us to connect rather than connecting through the hotel? I'd only need it for about a week.

we all have Android smart phones, but I understand that connecting through a smartphone app would drain the phone battery incredibly. Could we plug in the phone and use the mobile wifi app that way? if so, any particular recommendations for specific apps?

Thanks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only thing I can think of is a 3G cell phone connection but that may end up being more expensive than the hotel fee for internet access.

Thought: I've been in a few hotels in Europe and Canada and more and more offer access to the net included in the price of the room, so maybe you should try to find such hotels wherever you need to go.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a family reunion and we don't have a choice in our hotel.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I mention this purely for information as I have no experience with this company. Virgin Mobile has no-contract mobile hotspot devices with unlimited data, listed here.

I think you buy the device and then buy cards at stores to refill your account. The cost may be prohibitive if you only need the hotspot for a week. I don't know about their coverage either. Again, just throwing this option out there.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

OK, it looks like the device itself is $29.99, plus a $5/day or $35/month data plan. I'll have to do some research to see whether this will be cost-effective. Thanks for letting me know about it - this is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
It is absolutely possible to have the phone connected to the charger as you use it as a hotspot. If you don't have a big enough data allotment I guess it's not a great option though. Thethered computers use a lot more data than when you use the phone itself for surfing or whatever.
Over here we have PayByTheDay prepaid data cards. Maybe ther is something similar available to you as well? Like what LoveMacs suggest.

Edit: Ooops! I see now you posted while I was writing! I'm so slooow...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Many hotels have free WiFi in the reception lounge area. Maybe you can check if your hotel offers that service?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm actually traveling out of the U.S. right now. I found an article on Lifehacker on how to to turn one laptop into a wifi hotspot. Be sure to read through the comments as some folks have had great luck with this and others not so much. If it works you'll only have to pay the daily rate for one laptop.

I'm using a free app called Connectify to connect a couple of devices to my laptop running a VPN (phone works great but Kindle Fire HD does not recognize the VPN). I am not staying in a hotel so your mileage may vary.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
OK, it looks like the device itself is $29.99, plus a $5/day or $35/month data plan. I'll have to do some research to see whether this will be cost-effective. Thanks for letting me know about it - this is exactly what I was looking for.
Also check to make sure that you have coverage where you're going--There doesn't seem to be coverage in many places. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
This won't help the OP, but I have found in Canada anyway that it is the slightly more upscale hotels that have a business clientel staying on an expense account that typically charge. Most of the more "budget" type chains will tend to have free wifi.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I have the Virgin Mobile MiFi 2200, bought last year on sale, it's been a great little device. I can still get the $10 for 10 days and $20/mo plan for 1GB, but I think new owners can't get the old plans. The $35 is not too bad though, as you get 2GB of data.

Do check the coverage map to be sure you'll be covered where you are going.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #12
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
As others have said, the more upscale the hotel, the more likely it is to charge for in-room WiFi. But as others have also said, most hotels have free WiFi in public areas like their lobby, bar, and restaurant. So here's a tip from a frequent traveler: capture an internet connection in the lobby and take it with you up to your room. As long as you don't close your browser, and unless your room is far from the lobby, you'll have a connection for the next 24 hours or so. After that, you'll probably have to renew the connection in the lobby.

This technique has worked for me on lots of trips!
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #13
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
This won't help the OP, but I have found in Canada anyway that it is the slightly more upscale hotels that have a business clientel staying on an expense account that typically charge. Most of the more "budget" type chains will tend to have free wifi.
It is the same in Australia, the more expensive and upmarket the hotel, the more they charge for WiFi access, the budget chains provide it with the room.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have often used my phone's mobile hotspot to connect in hotels. My connection allows for up to 5 computers to join. Yes, you can keep the phone plugged into the outlet while using the wifi hotspot. Paired with an unlimited data plan, this makes a good choice for me while travelling. Check you carrier for coverage, service area and cost...you could subscribe for a month and then cancel after your trip.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
What do you NEED a Cell Phone for Anyway. How about SPENDING Times With your family & Stay OFF the Phone!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote