Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
DanielS
DanielS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Calibre recognizes the wrong device

I have a Kindle 2 and an iPhone. I do *not* use the iPhone as an e-reader. I will soon start using a Kindle PW in addition to my Kindle 2.

My question is: how can I set up Calibre to simply recognize the reader that is plugged in, and to ignore my iPhone? Right now, this does not work, and I have to resort to annoying workarounds.

In Calibre's preferences menu, I have set Calibre to ignore the iPhone, and I have Kindle format as the default output format. I'd expect that as a result, Calibre would ignore the iPhone, and communicate with the Kindle when it is plugged in.

However, when both devices are connected to my computer, Calibre will only recognize the device that was connected first.

'Ejecting' the iPhone through the Calibre menu will make it go away, but it will not cause Calibre to recognize the Kindle, which is still connected.

Physically disconnecting the iPhone leads to the same result: Calibre believes that the Kindle is not connected.

Dis- and reconnecting the Kindle helps sometimes, but usually it does not.

Effectively, this means that I can only stop Calibre from recognizing the iPhone when the Kindle is connected first, and if I ever charge or synch my iPhone without the Kindle being connected, Calibre will not recognize my Kindle anymore, until I quite Calibre and restart it.

DanielS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielS View Post
I have a Kindle 2 and an iPhone. I do *not* use the iPhone as an e-reader. I will soon start using a Kindle PW in addition to my Kindle 2.

My question is: how can I set up Calibre to simply recognize the reader that is plugged in, and to ignore my iPhone? Right now, this does not work, and I have to resort to annoying workarounds.

In Calibre's preferences menu, I have set Calibre to ignore the iPhone, and I have Kindle format as the default output format. I'd expect that as a result, Calibre would ignore the iPhone, and communicate with the Kindle when it is plugged in.

However, when both devices are connected to my computer, Calibre will only recognize the device that was connected first.

'Ejecting' the iPhone through the Calibre menu will make it go away, but it will not cause Calibre to recognize the Kindle, which is still connected.

Physically disconnecting the iPhone leads to the same result: Calibre believes that the Kindle is not connected.

Dis- and reconnecting the Kindle helps sometimes, but usually it does not.

Effectively, this means that I can only stop Calibre from recognizing the iPhone when the Kindle is connected first, and if I ever charge or synch my iPhone without the Kindle being connected, Calibre will not recognize my Kindle anymore, until I quite Calibre and restart it.

You can only have 1 USB (possible book reader) device connected at a time.
Calibre only detects devices upon insertion, and then, only if no other device is recognized.

Are you only charging the i-Phone?
Do you have the I-tunes Device plugin still enabled?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
DanielS

Thanks, TheDucks!
1 USB device at a time, with recognition upon insertion, would be excellent. The problem is: (1) the iPhone continues to be recognized even though it is set to be ignored, and (2) once it has been recognized, even after ejection, something continues to prevent Calibre for recognizing the Kindle.

What plugin do you mean? I'm not aware of having enabled any plugin, and many calibre versions ago, when Calibre first recognized the iPhone, I instructed it to ignore it. What should I be disabling?

And as to only charging: I may be synching the iPhone too, and iTunes may be playing music... Is that a problem>
Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
DanielS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre only detects devices upon insertion
This is not correct, BTW. If a device is connected while Calibre is switched off entirely, and Calibre is THEN turned on, it will recognize it as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe try changing the drive letters assigned by Windows to each device to ensure the iPhone has a higher drive letter?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The answer is not to have both plugged into the computer. Jus plug in the Kindle without the iPhone being plugged in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
DanielS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Maybe try changing the drive letters assigned by Windows to each device to ensure the iPhone has a higher drive letter?
Interesting. My Kindle is I, my iPhone has no letter assigned to it.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielS View Post
Thanks, TheDucks!
1 USB device at a time, with recognition upon insertion, would be excellent. The problem is: (1) the iPhone continues to be recognized even though it is set to be ignored, and (2) once it has been recognized, even after ejection, something continues to prevent Calibre for recognizing the Kindle.

What plugin do you mean? I'm not aware of having enabled any plugin, and many calibre versions ago, when Calibre first recognized the iPhone, I instructed it to ignore it. What should I be disabling?

And as to only charging: I may be synching the iPhone too, and iTunes may be playing music... Is that a problem>
Device Driver Plugins are enabled by Default.
Calibre now only uses (connects to) I-tunes (there may be a remnant of the old way getting in the way. Only the Devs can tell)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
From the Calibre + iDevices sticky:

I don't want calibre to recognize my iDevice
If you would prefer that calibre ignore any connected iDevices, disable the Apple device interface in Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins.
G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
DanielS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Device Driver Plugins are enabled by Default.
Calibre now only uses (connects to) I-tunes (there may be a remnant of the old way getting in the way. Only the Devs can tell)
So what does that mean? That it is impossible for Calibre to properly to recognize a device when iTunes is running? Or that it is impossible for Calibre to ignore a device that iTunes will continue recognizing?

I like having both iTunes and Calibre on. One to collect podcasts and to play music, the other to collect News feeds and to send them to the Kindle when I plug it in. Is there no easy way for each program to recognize just the relevant device?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
DanielS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

If you would prefer that calibre ignore any connected iDevices, disable the Apple device interface in Preferences|Plugins|Device Interface plugins.
G
Ah, I hadn't seen those! If that is a more fundamental block than just the 'ignore' instruction, this may do the trick. Checking it out.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
DanielS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

G
I think your solution works:

- I disabled the Apple plugin
- I disconnected the Kindle, and immediately Calibre recognized the iPhone. Yikes!
- I checked in Preferences again, and the Apple plugin was indeed disabled.
- I disconnected and reconnected the iPhone; it was still being recognized
- I left the iPhone connected, and closed Calibre entirely, then restarted it.
- The iPhone was no longer recognized.
- I disconnected and reconnected the iPhone, it still isn't recognized by Calibre, but iTunes acknowledges it
- I connected the Kindle. Calibre doesn't recognize it either. Yikes!
- I disconnected and reconnected the Kindle, now it recognizes it.
- I now have both devices plugged in, with the iPhone having been plugged in first. iTunes recognized the phone, Calibre recognizes the Kindle. That's the desired result.

Thanks!

Now I'll go and make a contribution to Calibre

Tags
calibre, iphone, kindle, recognize