Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur
AuthorGreg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2nd Gen, Kindle 7" Fire HD
Um, gee, how've I ignored anyone's advice?

Be nice.

Thanks, everyone!

Greg
AuthorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorGreg View Post
Um, gee, how've I ignored anyone's advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you can track down a free (or very cheap) example (even if it's DRM'ed) of an ePub where the em-dashes do display properly, I'm sure someone might be willing to "purchase" it and might be able to track down what is going on.
Just sayin'.

You don't have to go this alone. Allow more eyes to view the code in the ePubs where em-dashes ARE being displayed properly on the Nook Simple Touch ("out of the box," so to speak) and you'd be surprised out how quickly the issue could be resolved.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Not trying to be rude, just trying to point you in a constructive direction - currently the thread is a case of the blind leading the blind - we're blind because basically the lights are turned off, you're blind because you're relatively new to all this. We're just trying to point you to a light switch so we don't have to keep fumbling around in the dark.

In addition to DiapDealer's example, I asked you to try two different options regarding fonts - change the Nook preferences (six different fonts are supported), or try an embedded font using Sigil, which extremely common in retail ePubs.

PeterT pointed you in the right direction to remove the DRM on your own books.

Last edited by ldolse; 07-22-2012 at 01:10 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #34
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur
AuthorGreg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2nd Gen, Kindle 7" Fire HD
Ummmm....

I've downloaded and have used Sigil. I've sent my ePub to a couple of folks, but I can't openly post it, otherwise Amazon will penalize me and make my book free. I thought I had mentioned that.

Anyway, I'm going to experiment with a short story I have that doesn't sell at all, and I'll share the results.

I believe I also mentioned that asking a writer to compose a novel in straight HTML is more than a tad unreasonable. But when going "nuclear" on a Word doc, it might not be too much to ask. I've learned to use Word by implementing as few styles as possible. In my Word docs you won't find any extraneous page returns or too many styles, although I know that following the best practices won't prevent Word from really screwing around with a doc file. The corrupt TOC it produces, with all the hidden TOC entries, is but one example.

So yes, I've learned, and as I continue to learn, I will share with all what I have learned.

All you guys rock!

Thanks,

Greg
AuthorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
AuthorGreg ... please post a sample ePub file that has an issue with em dash on a nook. Let us have a look and see what seems to be the problem. That way, you can then hopefully make ePub that has good code under the hood for when you post it at B&N & Kobo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Greg,

Given that it's your book creation process that seems to be causing the problem, just write some arbitrary paragraph containing dashes and turn that into an eBook using your normal production process, and post that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
em dash epub calibre doc