Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-30-2020, 01:02 AM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Sounds like a compilation of a serialised story.

If published as a single volume, should have all the recaps edited out.
That would be a better enhancement than bolding speech.
Might ask the writer(s) if they want that, it might make a saleable book out of it.

I think Twilight started as online fanfic...
No, Twifright started as a dream. (cough cough). 50SoG started as Twifright Fanfic.

Which just goes to show you--proof positive, Fanfic can be dangerous to your health.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No, Twifright started as a dream. (cough cough). 50SoG started as Twifright Fanfic.

Which just goes to show you--proof positive, Fanfic can be dangerous to your health.

Hitch
It also goes to show that there is no accounting for taste.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #33
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, a bunch of your people came over to America and brought the language with them and then they decided it needed improving so they improved it. Leaving the language not nearly as good back home.
As recently as when I was in college, there was an island off the North Carolina coast whose inhabitants spoke an evolved form of Elizabethan English. And the hillbillies of the Appalachians still sometimes use terms brought over by the Scots-Irish (Northern Irish Planters) such as Bodacious for "outlandish," being a corruption of Queen Boadicea.

I'm with those who hold that boldfaced conversation is about the worst idea ever advanced in self-publishing, with the possible exception of the Canadian gent who formatted his first paperback in Courier, decided the type was a bit light (which of course it was), and therefore did a Control-A and changed the whole book to boldface.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:15 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
As recently as when I was in college, there was an island off the North Carolina coast whose inhabitants spoke an evolved form of Elizabethan English. And the hillbillies of the Appalachians still sometimes use terms brought over by the Scots-Irish (Northern Irish Planters) such as Bodacious for "outlandish," being a corruption of Queen Boadicea.
NJ, when you were in college, Elizabeth I was still the Queen. :-)

Hitch
Old 01-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Elizabeth I is still the Queen in Scotland, as the English Elizabeth I was before Scotland and England had the same King,

Quote:
James VI and I (James Charles Stuart; 19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625) was King of Scotland as James VI from 24 July 1567 and King of England and Ireland as James I from the union of the Scottish and English crowns on 24 March 1603 until his death in 1625.
Quote:
Elizabeth I (7 September 1533 – 24 March 1603)[a] was Queen of England and Ireland from 17 November 1558 until her death on 24 March 1603.
That Elizabeth was never ever Queen of Scotland.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... with the possible exception of the Canadian gent who formatted his first paperback in Courier, decided the type was a bit light (which of course it was), and therefore did a Control-A and changed the whole book to boldface.
Antony Horowitz: Magpie Murders
I'm struggling. Whose stupid idea was it to have the first half of the book in something like monospace courier. Published in 2016.

I know the idea is that the first half of the book is allegedly by Alan Conway. Remind me when Agents and Publishers switched from wanting typed MSS, to Times Roman printouts or files?

Did no reviewer with an ARC say, "Nice idea, but ditch the monospace font?"
TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN PAGES of monospace font! Yet fully justified, so looks a bit like a fake monospace font, because it's not actually monospaced due to the justification varying letter spaces.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Elizabeth I is still the Queen in Scotland, as the English Elizabeth I was before Scotland and England had the same King,

That Elizabeth was never ever Queen of Scotland.
Right. I should have remembered. :-)

Hitch
Old 01-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Antony Horowitz: Magpie Murders
I'm struggling. Whose stupid idea was it to have the first half of the book in something like monospace courier. Published in 2016.

I know the idea is that the first half of the book is allegedly by Alan Conway. Remind me when Agents and Publishers switched from wanting typed MSS, to Times Roman printouts or files?

Did no reviewer with an ARC say, "Nice idea, but ditch the monospace font?"
TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN PAGES of monospace font! Yet fully justified, so looks a bit like a fake monospace font, because it's not actually monospaced due to the justification varying letter spaces.
The eBook of Magpie Murders is not in monospace.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The eBook of Magpie Murders is not in monospace.
I'm hardly going to buy the ebook as well as the paper version, but actually the paper version is so hard to read I've been tempted.

Besides even if the ebook version was ghastly, I'd know how to fix it!

Thanks for the tip, JSWolf. I'll check the price.

Edit:
Quote:
Print List Price: £8.99
Kindle Price: £5.90

Save £3.09 (34%)
includes VAT*
Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
This price was set by the publisher.
* Unlike print books, digital books are subject to VAT.
A) Why is there STILL no Kindle site/market place for Ireland?
B) I thought UK abolished VAT on ebooks?

There is apparently an option for Irish addresses to transfer their Kindle to USA Marketplace, but that might make some titles unavailable.

And indeed, if I use our Kindle registered as being in the USA:
Quote:
This title is not currently available for purchase
but clicking again on Kindle Edition:
Quote:
Print List Price: $10.00
Kindle Price: $3.99
Save $6.01 (60%)

Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
Price set by seller.
$3.99 vs £5.90!

The UK isn't in the EU either.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-03-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Price
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm hardly going to buy the ebook as well as the paper version, but actually the paper version is so hard to read I've been tempted.

Besides even if the ebook version was ghastly, I'd know how to fix it!
I did that with The Corner by David Simon. It was bloody long, and the paperback that I'd ordered was somewhere between 600 and 800 pages, if memory serves, but OMG, they must have typeset it in 9pt font. I wear progressive glasses, so that I'm not toting 3 pairs of specs around with me (reading, driving and now Telly), and trying to read the paperback was a nightmare. I was constantly moving either my head or the book, trying to keep the text crisp enough to read. After an hour of that, I'd have headaches or neck-aches or something-aches.

I finally just clicked and bought the goddamned thing in Kindle, so that I could read it without all the physical gyrations and aggravation. Worked a treat. :-)

Hitch
Old 01-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

And indeed, unlike the crazy "concept edition" paper version, the version bought for a Kindle Keyboard gen 3 is perfect. On my Kobo Libra.
I've used up a US Marketplace Gift voucher!
Old 01-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #42
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I once thought I'd aced a trivia question: "Who is the only other reigning monarch in the British Commonwealth of Nations?" I answered Elizabeth I of Scotland, but it seems that the test compilers didn't know that, because it was a wrong answer.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I once thought I'd aced a trivia question: "Who is the only other reigning monarch in the British Commonwealth of Nations?" I answered Elizabeth I of Scotland, but it seems that the test compilers didn't know that, because it was a wrong answer.
We are ever and increasingly limited, in this world, particularly online, but the Ingorami and the Illiterati.

Hitch