Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #61
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I totally missed that pun... until you posted this. Karma to the Sparrow punster!
- PilotBob.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #62
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i read it in french and it was a very old pocket edition called "dix petits nègres". it's been republished as "and then there were none" now. whatever the title, i'll never read it again, as i said, that's the only christie book which ever scared the pants off me, and once was already almost too much for my nerves. (i know, i know, i'm such a baby...)
It scared me too.

In English it was originally titled something that (I think) even the French title does not adequately capture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #63
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
It scared me too.
i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. i was feeling a bit embarassed.

Quote:
In English it was originally titled something that (I think) even the French title does not adequately capture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None

- Ahi
yes, i see what you mean.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #64
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

That said, if you like Agathat Christie there was a Dr. Who episode with "her" in it. It was pretty interesting... it attempted to explain why she disappeared for a short time and turned up at an institution.

Ever seen the film Agatha, starring Vanessa Redgrave as Agatha Christie, about the time she disappereared and a compeltely fictional take on what could have happened? It even includes a little Christie style "murder" mystery (and Dustin Hoffman in another of the main roles).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Ever seen the film Agatha, starring Vanessa Redgrave as Agatha Christie, about the time she disappereared and a compeltely fictional take on what could have happened? It even includes a little Christie style "murder" mystery (and Dustin Hoffman in another of the main roles).
Nope... another one I should add to my blockbuster dvd queue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #66
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Was it already called "Ten Little Indians" when you were a kid?

- Ahi
Heh, I read it in translation, and it was titled "Ten Little Negroes." At the time (and now), there was no more negative connotation, than if the title had been "Ten Little Tyroleans."

But, the title "Ten Little Indians" appears to have been used as long ago as the first staging in the US, in 1944.

"And Then There Were None" was used as the title of the first movie adaptation, in 1945.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #67
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Heh, I read it in translation, and it was titled "Ten Little Negroes." At the time (and now), there was no more negative connotation, than if the title had been "Ten Little Tyroleans."

But, the title "Ten Little Indians" appears to have been used as long ago as the first staging in the US, in 1944.

"And Then There Were None" was used as the title of the first movie adaptation, in 1945.
The original title did not use "Negroes", but rather another N-word.

But I understand what you mean. The translation I read was titled the same way.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #68
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
I saw it years ago. What little I remember about it was good, although strange in a way. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The original title did not use "Negroes", but rather another N-word.

But I understand what you mean. The translation I read was titled the same way.

- Ahi
The book has gone through a number of revisions over the years. Even though the original US title was "And Then There Were None", the island in the book was still called "Nigger Island" (and the rhyme in the book, correspondingly). Both the island and the rhyme then changed to "Indian", and finally to "Soldier".

I have both a printed UK edition from the 1980s, which has "Indian", and the current eBook edition which has "Soldier".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What's my favorite Agatha Christie?

I like pretty much any story that features Jane Marple. Remember how A.G. had two novels that she stipulated would not be released until after her death? One was Curtain featuring Hercule Poirot, and the other was Sleeping Murder featured Miss Marple. The Poirot novel was released first. I'm not going to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but it did frighten me into thinking that she had a similar fate planned for Jane. I was relieved after reading it that she chose a different path for Miss Marple.

In addition to Marple and Poirot, some of her Harley Quin short stories had their moments as well.

She was my mother's favorite author.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think there are very few bad Agatha Christies. I have her "complete works" as paperbacks (except the romances she wrote as "Mary Westmacott") and they are wonderful "comfort reading". I wish they were all available as eBooks - about 55 of her 80 or so books are available as eBooks, but there are some good ones which unfortunately aren't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #72
linou
linou began at the beginning.

Device: psr 505
Agatha Christie was a really efficient writer.

But to have a favorite, it's tough!

I loved and then there were none, but my favorite would be five little pigs or sparkling cyanide. Tough choice!
linou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #73
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think there are very few bad Agatha Christies. I have her "complete works" as paperbacks (except the romances she wrote as "Mary Westmacott") and they are wonderful "comfort reading". I wish they were all available as eBooks - about 55 of her 80 or so books are available as eBooks, but there are some good ones which unfortunately aren't.
Harry, do you remember if she wrote short story about a doll that is somehow "alive"? I keep thinking it's one of Christie's. Towards the end of the story, the doll is in a dressmakers office, and the office manager can't remember how it there, but the doll scares her. At the end, it's dropped on the street and picked up by a young girl. It's a ghost story, not a mystery and features none of the usual Christie detectives.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #74
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Harry, do you remember if she wrote short story about a doll that is somehow "alive"? I keep thinking it's one of Christie's. Towards the end of the story, the doll is in a dressmakers office, and the office manager can't remember how it there, but the doll scares her. At the end, it's dropped on the street and picked up by a young girl. It's a ghost story, not a mystery and features none of the usual Christie detectives.
Sounds like "The Dressmaker's Doll".
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #75
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Sounds like "The Dressmaker's Doll".
It's exactly that story!
It's funny that it is the "non-Poirot" and "non-Marple" stories that I remember best.