Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
comics

Hi all,

I noticed that I could get a cybook from finland for 280€, a prs505 would be 250€ + post from england, so the difference isn't that bad. Anyway my question is this: which one is more suited for comics or are they about the same? Also is there a command line unix tool for converting comics for the cybook? comics2lrf did a good job, but lrf's don't work with the cybook.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Showing them - screen and clarity - you get the same.

The diference is the formats used to see your comics.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Different opinion here. I find the Sony PRS to react much slower than the Cybook when turning a page, especially when it is graphics as with comics.

So, I would rather advise you to buy the Cybook - if the missing folder option wasn't such a pain in the butt till now! Since you can't collect your comics into folders, you have a laaaarge list of pages in the library, each page as one file.

You may convert your files into one pdf, but pdf aren't the fastest on the Cybook either if they aren't optimized.

Still, the rather open format of the Cybook is THE major argument for me.

K-Thom
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Does it sort by folders now? Having single pages as images sounds like a pain in the .. But being able to drop files in to folders and have them sort like that sounds like its doable.
Especially if the comics are converted to pdf by je-comics.

Openness is a major factor to me as well, but calibre is a really nice solution as well. Maybe they will come up with epub soon and then we'd get best of both worlds.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Yes, files can be sorted by folders and if you put your books into main main memory and the comics on an SD-card books will be listed first (sorted by folder) then the Comics (also sorted by folder).

Also keep in mind that the Cybook-devteam at least promised to be working on folder and zip support for the library. I strongly believe that foldersupport on the Cybook is not far away.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert