Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
What detail of which book ruined it for you?

I'll give you and example ... maybe two:

Prince of Tides. Good book, but for the fact that they have the characters walking (1) on a beach, (2) in the summer, (3) at night, (4) looking at the constellation Orion.

And ... you can't freaking see Orion in the summer sky.

Or,

Carrie. Good book, but for the fact that Mr. King compares telekinesis to classic hemophilia in it's genetic causation ... and then states that hemophilia is caused by a low platlet count. (Oh .... sooooo WRONG.)

I'm talking about books where you were really and happily sucked into the story and then one piece of crappy editing slapped you back into reality.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Any book where the psychiatrist falls in love with a "personality" of a multiple personality disordered patient. Or has an affair with any sort of patient a/o relative of same and does not get sent immediately to jail without the perquisite $200.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Excellent thread, I'll need to give it some thought, though. There are books I've thrown away, such as anything with "Dune" in the title, not written by Frank Herbert. I liked the Nantucket books by S. M. Stirling, but hate-hate-hated the others, the "Change" books. Not one detail, but all of the characters, the idea that SCA and Wiccans would rule the world and speak Elvish. Just all around stupidity.

But an otherwise good book, until you hit a certain sentence, and have to stop reading in disgust? I know it's happened, but I can't recall any specific instances at the moment.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Excellent thread, I'll need to give it some thought, though. There are books I've thrown away, such as anything with "Dune" in the title, not written by Frank Herbert. I liked the Nantucket books by S. M. Stirling, but hate-hate-hated the others, the "Change" books. Not one detail, but all of the characters, the idea that SCA and Wiccans would rule the world and speak Elvish. Just all around stupidity.

But an otherwise good book, until you hit a certain sentence, and have to stop reading in disgust? I know it's happened, but I can't recall any specific instances at the moment.
Yup .... that's the idea. You were really into a book, and then you found yourself going (nahhhh ..... wrong) and suddenly you were "out" of the book and back into reality and never could really get back into the book.

Another example .... I could swear that Frank Herbert changed the color of Fremen mourning from one book to another.

Also ... as I recall, AC Clarke's 2001 originally had them going to Saturn (and not Jupiter) but 2010 had them going to Jupiter in the first book (written, I suppose to make it gel with the movie that had come out between books one and two).

Either things you know from your own experience are just ever so wrong, would never happen, or things where either the author or an editor didn't understand or remember their own backstory ... and it just screwed it up for you.

I'll give you another example ... Stephen King again (poor SK, I love his writing, but his editors suck eggs). In "It" there's a scene where the now-adult characters go visit one of their friends in the hospital ... and a glass bottle of blood being used for a transfusion falls to the ground and breaks.

Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but they haven't used glass bottles for blood transfusions for one hell of a long time now .... and stopped long before the period in which the adult characters live.

Science wrong, law wrong, backstory wrong .... whatever it was that made you go "WTF???"
Old 06-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Books by Erich von Däniken, where he makes his theories so believable that you just know there has to be a catch...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Prince of Tides. Good book, but for the fact that they have the characters walking (1) on a beach, (2) in the summer, (3) at night, (4) looking at the constellation Orion.

And ... you can't freaking see Orion in the summer sky.
Well, you can see it in August at night. But only if you consider 5 am to be at night. I think Zelda might say that's night.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, definitely. the dead of night. sometimes it's actually just the beginning of my night.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Fremen mourning color is green, I can't recall it being anything different. This most often happens to me in movies. All through Star Wars, gravity seems exactly Earth-normal, everywhere. Even asteroids. Too many examples to mention. But books, books - I'm wracking my brain.

Da Vinci Code, a British character referred to "soccer". That's not what ruined the book for me. The book ruined the book for me.

Asimov's Foundation series had some problems, though I can't think of the details.

Something I read recently referred to tigers in Africa...

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-11-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Well, you can see it in August at night. But only if you consider 5 am to be at night. I think Zelda might say that's night.
Nope ... sorry .... that time frame will not work in the setting of the story.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Fremen mourning color is green, I can't recall it being anything different. This most often happens to me in movies. All through Star Wars, gravity seems exactly Earth-normal, everywhere. Even asteroids. Too many examples to mention. But books, books - I'm wracking my brain.
And yet .... I'll have to try and find it ... in one single solitary book ... it was yellow.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5:am is after dawn during the month of August, surely not the dead of night, ZP?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Books by Erich von Däniken, where he makes his theories so believable that you just know there has to be a catch...
Oh lordy ... don't even get me started on the holes in his "science" ... we could be here allllll day. (And, that's as defined by someone other than zeezeegoosiegoosiecutiekneeschanchenchenlien.)

Crap ... I hope I spelled that correctly.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh lordy ... don't even get me started on the holes in his "science" ... we could be here allllll day. (And, that's as defined by someone other than zeezeegoosiegoosiecutiekneeschanchenchenlien.)

Crap ... I hope I spelled that correctly.

Cee
AR
Ay
Pee,

yes I think that's spelled correctly...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Something I read recently referred to tigers in Africa...
You have got to be kidding .... tigers in Africa?? Crikey.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Cee
AR
Ay
Pee,

yes I think that's spelled correctly...
Good to hear!!!!