Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Join Audible.co.uk from USA?

Does Audible.co.uk allow a U.S. resident to purchase audiobooks? I see some titles there that are not available in the U.S.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would hazard a guess that there's probably some contractual reason which prevents them from being allowed to sell audiobooks to someone outside the UK in cases where the publisher has UK-only rights, just as is the case with ebooks. But all I can really suggest is "try it and see"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would hazard a guess that there's probably some contractual reason which prevents them from being allowed to sell audiobooks to someone outside the UK in cases where the publisher has UK-only rights, just as is the case with ebooks. But all I can really suggest is "try it and see"!
I am just hesitant to go through a sign-up process and give them my credit card number in advance if I'm not allowed to buy, though. I can't find anything through Google--seems like more often it's non-U.S. people trying to buy from the U.S. site, rather than U.S. people wanting to buy from the UK site.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest sending an email to "support@audible.co.uk" and asking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I can't get the audiobook I was most interested in. I went through the Amazon UK site and opened an account there, but when I tried to buy the audiobook, it was not allowed. Phooey.
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
To make it work, I think you need to:
1.) Create an account there. (you've done that)
2.) Associate your Kindle with that account. Alternately, use Kindle for PC/Mac, but then you'll definitely need a VPN connection (see item #4)
3.) Set your Kindle have a country of UK.
4.) Create a VPN connection to a server in the UK. (This may not be required. For US buyers, it isn't. But it may well be required to allow you to change your country. )
5.) You should now be able to buy your book. I'd strongly suggest removing the DRM since you're unlikely to want to stay permanently associated with a UK account.

Note that when you do all this, you'll no longer be able to buy books from the US store until you change back to a US account and a country setting of the US.

In the past, Amazon has let one do this changing of countries without complaining for several times, but then at some point they start getting a bit crook about it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
To make it work, I think you need to:
1.) Create an account there. (you've done that)
2.) Associate your Kindle with that account. Alternately, use Kindle for PC/Mac, but then you'll definitely need a VPN connection (see item #4)
3.) Set your Kindle have a country of UK.
4.) Create a VPN connection to a server in the UK. (This may not be required. For US buyers, it isn't. But it may well be required to allow you to change your country. )
5.) You should now be able to buy your book. I'd strongly suggest removing the DRM since you're unlikely to want to stay permanently associated with a UK account.

Note that when you do all this, you'll no longer be able to buy books from the US store until you change back to a US account and a country setting of the US.

In the past, Amazon has let one do this changing of countries without complaining for several times, but then at some point they start getting a bit crook about it.
Thanks, but I was wanting to buy an audio book, not an e-book; I don't own a Kindle.

I've seen the term VPN, but I have no clue ...

Now that I created the UK account, I can't even see the audiobook at the UK site anymore.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For an Audible book, try one of the free "proxy" servers. Or a VPN, using something likehttp://www.hidemyass.com
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
OK, this is what you do
One: Find a UK address. It needs to be a real one, but nothing will ever go there.
Two: Email address. Gmail or hotmail will be fine
Three: Find a friend with a UK CC. There may be an equivalent of Usunlocked. The CC billing adress does not need to be in UK. You travel, right? If the friend wll let you use their billing address in step one, so much the better.
Four: Get a VPN This means virtual private network. Tunnelbear free version will be fine for this. This makes the person at the other end think your ISP (Internet service provider) is in another country
Five: Using the VPN, sign up for an account. Do not try to link this account with anything else.
Six: Using the VPN, buy the audiobook and download it. Authorise your audible account on your PC.
Seven: Burn it to CD. A CD image on the hard drive is fine.
Eight: Rip the CD to MP3
Nine: If not too tired, listen to the book.

Alternatively, read something else or wait till it becomes available in your country. Seven and eight are optional, but you might not want to keep the account for ever. You could try asking audible if there will be a release in your country. Use a different email address if you do this.

Yeah, mega hassle, I know.
Good luck! PM me if you need more help.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

CRussel and Piperclassique, thanks but I think this is way, way beyond me. I am probably better off just waiting for a U.S. release! But I appreciate the effort!