Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #31
ztimar
Enthusiast
ztimar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hi!
Please help, I have a problem with SSH to my Kindle Touch (firmware 5.1.0). I did the jailbrake and installed Launcher ver.1.2.1.succesfully. I got the network driver on the my desktop computer too. My IP is set to 192.168.15.1.I start the Usbnetwork from Launcher, I can ping the Kindle but if I try to connect with putty it says :Network error: Connection refused. I turned off my firewall and antivirus too. What can be the problem?
ztimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #32
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
YOu need to turn on SSH in the kindle touch. You can do that with a ;un search command, or (what I prefer) is using the launcher menu to turn SSH (USB networking) on and off. Beware that some versions of that menu label it as on when it is off, and off when on, when the menu first starts.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #33
ztimar
Enthusiast

Of course is it turned on from the launcher, and the Kindle is a network device now, not an usb drive.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your symptoms as described are USUALLY that SSH is not running in the kindle. That can happen if the dropbear files in /usr/local are missing. There are reports that a recent OTA firmware update installs a startup script that deletes these files during a restart of the kindle. You may need to reinstall simple USBnetwork again.

Can you start USBnetworking from diags (menu N U Z X) ? You can mount and examine (and repair) the main partition from there...

What is your firmware version?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #35
ztimar
Enthusiast

Thank you for your help! My firmware is 5.1.0, I tried to reinstall the Launcher but it didn't help.
When I start Usbnetwork from Diags, it says my IP,netmask,devAddr,hostAddr, ..device_NFS:mnt/gen3/factory,host_NFS:/scratchbox/nfs/factory, press x to cont, PASS

Usbnetwork running but with putty I can't connect.
I'm not a Linux guru, but I've got a friend who can do the repair. What should I do?
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #36
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztimar View Post
Thank you for your help! My firmware is 5.1.0, I tried to reinstall the Launcher but it didn't help.
When I start Usbnetwork from Diags, it says my IP,netmask,devAddr,hostAddr, ..device_NFS:mnt/gen3/factory,host_NFS:/scratchbox/nfs/factory, press x to cont, PASS

Usbnetwork running but with putty I can't connect.
I'm not a Linux guru, but I've got a friend who can do the repair. What should I do?
Did you flash the diags_ssh partition with fastboot? On diags, the dropbear files needed for SSH are missing in the factory main and diags partitions. The diags menu ACTS like it starts SSH, but there is no SSH server daemon listening on port 22 (needed to connect with SSH).
Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #37
ztimar
Enthusiast

I didn't but it seems a little hard to me, I think if I install your
Kindle touch diags partition image (mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz) with pre-installed SSH:
http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...0p2_ssh.img.gz will do?
But the given link is broken:-(
Please give me a link where to download and what to flash.
What mode should I put my Kindle Touch to fastboot? I tried from diags the USB device
mode and my windows recognise it under LinUsb-win32 devices as usb storage device (manufacturer:Lab126) - is it all right or it must be kindle?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #38
geekmaster

Quote:
I didn't but it seems a little hard to me, I think if I install your
Kindle touch diags partition image (mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz) with pre-installed SSH:
http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...0p2_ssh.img.gz will do?
But the given link is broken:-(
Please give me a link where to download and what to flash.
What mode should I put my Kindle Touch to fastboot? I tried from diags the USB device
mode and my windows recognise it under LinUsb-win32 devices as usb storage device (manufacturer:Lab126) - is it all right or it must be kindle?
That is how MR shortens the displayed link (but you can still copy the link destination correctly). Where did you get that broken link? Was the original clickable? Did you try "URL chopping" to navigate dasmoover's files?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #39
ztimar
Enthusiast

It is from this thread (Select Boot for K4 and Touch)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

and the answer:

The requested URL /~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz was not found on this server.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #40
geekmaster

Quote:
It is from this thread (Select Boot for K4 and Touch)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

and the answer:

The requested URL /~dasmoover/kindle/touch/forensic/mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz was not found on this server.
So dasmoover renamed his files to show which firmware version it was... You can find that with "URL chopping" as I suggested (just shorten the URL to not contain the filename). It gives a directory listing, where you can see the new file.

Better yet, use the good URLs in the pastebin linked from the "simple debricking" first post...

P.S. "URL chopping" is a common way of navigating filesystems on webservers, when not disabled on that web server.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #41
ztimar
Enthusiast

OK I got it , but can you explain or put a link how to flash with flashboot?
I really tried but I didn't find a short step by step description of the usage:-(
Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #42
geekmaster

Quote:
OK I got it , but can you explain or put a link how to flash with flashboot?
I really tried but I didn't find a short step by step description of the usage:-(
Master Index. Tools Index. Small debricking guide for noobs.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-13-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #43
ztimar
Enthusiast

Thank You!
After I read the "small debricking guide for noobs" I have put mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz by fastboot on the device and SSH WORKS! Thanks again!

PS. Anyway in standandart mode when I start launcher the SSH still not works but when
I reboot in diags and from there I start Usbnet it is OK. I checked two times - is it interesting, but not really important.

Last edited by ztimar; 06-13-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #44
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Looks like the symptoms I see on my Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1.0 (just bought like this): SSH does not run and connection is refused.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #45
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Looks like the symptoms I see on my Kindle Touch with firmware 5.1.0 (just bought like this): SSH does not run and connection is refused.
There is an md5 based system manifest list in 5.1.0 that might explain this behavior.
Recently commented on in posts here, but no one has (yet) had time to study if it is used and what it is used for.

The file and variable names plus the content of the file shows that it could be used to "scrub" the main system partition of any files not "authorized" by the system manifest.
Totally unknown at this time if such behavior is actually implemented.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote