Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Geoff Tarrant
Geoff Tarrant began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia n800 & Samsung Q1
Question about Steve Jordan books

Hello there from a new member.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I have tried to access the Steve Jordan site (http://www.stevejordanbooks.com) to download some of his e-books only to find that the site is no longer working. Does anyone know if the books are available from anywhere else.

Congratulations on a great forum by the way.
Geoff Tarrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The site works fine for me. I just clicked the link and weent right to the site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fine for me, too.

Try doing a "tracert" to the site and see where the problem lies. Might be a routing problem local to your ISP.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
My clicking on the URL brought me to a site that says something like the domain name is expired.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

www.stevejordanbooks.com maps to 216.227.219.60 so you can put that in your hosts file or whatever it is under Linux or OS X if you don't run Windows.
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Geoff Tarrant
Geoff Tarrant began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia n800 & Samsung Q1
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried the ip address but it directed me to lunarpages.com. I emailed Steve and he has had a problem with the site recently but thought that it was now fixed. Maybe not.
Geoff Tarrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

if you run Windows, go to your hosts file and put in the mapping of that IP to that DNS and it should work.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
same problem here.
a few refresh-presses later i get a
Quote:
Bad Gateway
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Apache Server at www.stevejordanbooks.com Port 80
message, even though i don't use a proxy.

steve needs to get in touch with his webhost ... they might have screwed something up.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
same problem here.
a few refresh-presses later i get a
message, even though i don't use a proxy.

steve needs to get in touch with his webhost ... they might have screwed something up.
I just got the same error on a control-F5 refresh. But, a few refreshes later it's now working again.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have to put the IP mapping to the DNS or I get an error saying the domain has expired when I know it's good till sometime in September 2008.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm now getting error 502 - "Bad Gateway". Looks like there really is a problem with the site; it worked fine when I posted earlier.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just tried it again and it's fine. Wierd.

PS: Steve - can you drop the music? "Musical" web sites are one of my pet hates .
Old 10-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Well, I'm not getting it. I either get a Bad Gateway, or some site from Melbourne saying his site has expired. ?
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi, guys,
Melbourne is the problem here... specifically, Melbourne IT. They were my server owners, established when Earthlink, my old ISP, transferred its server functions to Melbourne IT in (you guessed it) Australia. I had nothing but problems with them, which eventually forced me to transfer my registration to Network Solutions.

However, due to Melbourne's general malaise and incompetence, some ISPs somehow haven't gotten the word to change the IP address... and it's been weeks now.

If you're having this problem, you should get in touch with your ISP. I will in turn try to get in touch with Melbourne and straighten out whatever poblem they're having. Hopefully, everyone will be able to see the site again soon. And in the meantime, I may look into the possibility of a mirror site on another ISP account.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Steve, someone seems to have hacked your site and piped in bad new age music.

At least give us a button to turn it off and not restart the music on each new page. I'm with Harry on this one.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote