Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Amazon delisting certain books?
Good for them - that pedophile book was disgusting 20 27.40%
I don't like it - that pedophile book was disgusting, but Amazon shouldn't censor 26 35.62%
It hurt my business 0 0%
It caused me to buy fewer books 1 1.37%
I could care less - I don't read those books, and don't care if Amazon sells them 27 36.99%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Censorship or Business?

I'm facinated by the threads attacking Amazon's defense of the pedophile book and the threads attacking Amazon's censorship of less "objectionable" books. And I love polls! So instead of reading through 800 posts, lets vote - is it censorship or business? For myself, I would have preferred Amazon sell it all, and not engage in any qualitative judgements about what I read. But it appears they lost that battle with the pedophile books, and so we are stuck. What do you think?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not news. Moved to "General Discussions".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
This is a bit of a one sided poll with the opinions already laid out.

They have every right to sell or not sell whatever they want as a private business, regardless of my personal opinion of the book or content being sold or removed.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
I think the choices given are far to narrow to really give a breakdown, I personally can't fit my opinion of this into one of the available choices.

Amazon is a company and as such can and will make decisions based on their judgment, for their shareholders sake I, for one, hope they make good solid money making decisions. If this means they have to give into the moral lobbyists, or what ever we are calling them this week, then it is only for the sales to show one way or another.

My choice, if it were available, would be; Amazon is only obligated to follow the letter of their contracts, anything else is irrelevant. Have they done this in the recent cases, thats for the courts to decide, our idle speculation, while mildly amusing, is worthless.

Just my 2p worth.

Cheers
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I think that Amazon deserves the criticism especially since they've designed their business model to only allow you to get Kindle content from Amazon. Yes they're a business and can do whatever they want but that doesn't put them beyond criticism. Their customers should hold them to some standards beyond deciding on a whim if they potential sales are worth more then the negative publicity. I don't want special interest groups deciding what I'm able to purchase and read.

What will they decide when the next Satanic Verses scenario comes up?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is not news. Moved to "General Discussions".
Thanks HarryT - I recognized that as soon as I posted it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I think the choices given are far to narrow to really give a breakdown, I personally can't fit my opinion of this into one of the available choices.

Amazon is a company and as such can and will make decisions based on their judgment, for their shareholders sake I, for one, hope they make good solid money making decisions. If this means they have to give into the moral lobbyists, or what ever we are calling them this week, then it is only for the sales to show one way or another.

My choice, if it were available, would be; Amazon is only obligated to follow the letter of their contracts, anything else is irrelevant. Have they done this in the recent cases, thats for the courts to decide, our idle speculation, while mildly amusing, is worthless.

Just my 2p worth.

Cheers
Sorry, I can't edit the poll. But the poll was not supposed to determine what the law or right business practice is. That is for judges and Amazon to decide. While it is mildly amusing to debate both the law and the best business practice, what really interests me is how you feel. There were some vehement posts when the pedophile book was being sold by Amazon, and Amazon was defending it. And there were some vehement posts decrying the censorship. Which do you prefer? Big Brother or Unrestricted Freedom?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You need a category for "It is not censorship, it is Amazon's private business and they can sell what they want."
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Sorry, I can't edit the poll.
Poll questions can be added or deleted by any mod.

Just ask.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I don't see myself in any of your choices. I don't have a problem with Amazon doing what they think is best for their business -- I have a problem with people pressuring businesses to adhere to their standards of morality. And with not enough others to speak up against the practice.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I think that Amazon deserves the criticism especially since they've designed their business model to only allow you to get Kindle content from Amazon.
No they haven't; you can get Kindle content from many places, including MR.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Here we go again.

I wonder if other places are removing, or refusing to sell, certain books?
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Did you choose the pedo book specifically to skew the results? Amazon's ebook burning didn't stop at the pedo book, and it is unlikely to stop at gay erotica either. A better poll question would be should Amazon bend to outside pressure and remove selected books that a small minority find objectionable. Very few books will not be objectionable to someone. I've even seen people complaining about Scooby Doo.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I couldn't care less

But yeah, as I said in the pedophile book thread, once Amazon started removing one book because of content, they'd start removing others. You can't just have a little censorship.

Still, it would be worth it if it included Piers Anthony.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Did you choose the pedo book specifically to skew the results? Amazon's ebook burning didn't stop at the pedo book, and it is unlikely to stop at gay erotica either. A better poll question would be should Amazon bend to outside pressure and remove selected books that a small minority find objectionable. Very few books will not be objectionable to someone. I've even seen people complaining about Scooby Doo.
Yes, I chose it because it presents the choice clearly - censorship or 1st amendment. Of course Amazon can do what it wants for its business, and it isn't the government, so there is no 1st amendment argument. I just wondered, if given the choice between censorship or 1st amendment, which would you choose? It is like the parents who object to violence or sex on television - do you want someone acting as Big Brother, and saving you from this, or do you want to make the choice yourself? The Pedophile book is good, because if you decide you don't want someone telling you what you can read, then you have to tolerate the pedophile book being for sale.