Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why Is This Hill so Steep? by Steve Jordan

Why Is This Hill So Steep? by Steve Jordan is now available in multiple e-book formats, and (sing it with me!) No DRM.

Quote:
E-books. Electronic. Books.

Sounds like a simple concept, doesn’t it? So why has this simple concept taken so long to develop, when other forms of digital commerce and media have become modern sensations? Because of a series of events and forces acting against it that would seem too improbable to believe in a dime novel.

(Or maybe an e-book.)

If you want to know where e-books are going, it will help to know where e-books have been, and why they still seem to track mud on the floors wherever they go. This book sheds light on a perfect storm of publishers, corporations, professionals, amateurs, dogmas, movements and beliefs, all of which worked either unintentionally or deliberately to forestall the coming of the e-book for over two decades. And it details which of these elements is still going strong and continuing to hold back e-books. At last, you’ll learn how badly e-books have had the cards stacked against them, and why.
If you know of anyone in the print or publishing industry, who could use some insight as to the issues facing e-books... or someone outside of the industry, who's just curious about e-books' history... this is the book to recommend to them. Written from the perspective of a man whose career made him part of the industry, even before it was an industry!

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-04-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: formatted for frontpage
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Nice work - and so fast. Got the book on my Sony now - it just made it before I leave . It can either entertain me on the long 24 hours flight or put me to sleep (which I hope it won't).

But I will definately tell you which one of those two it was.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Oh boy! I was afraid you were taking it on vacation with you. I will start on it tomorrow for sure - since it's 23:48 right now...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
That was fast, thank you, Steve. Downloaded and in my winter break TBR folder.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Nice one Steve. Thanks.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Looks interesting, can't wait to get home.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've been looking forward to this book. I've got a book to finish for a church committee I'm on, then a short book for a discussion club, but this one is on my list immediately after that.

I can't wait to read about your experience in the industry.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dayam!

Not about the replies... I plugged the wrong cover size into the ePub version. I'll get that fixed today!

Correction: It's fixed now.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 12-04-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Someone send one to Steven Colbert...

Beau
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Hey! Let him buy his own!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Steve Jordan, you are the man who knows ebooks!

Purchased and now it's No. 1 on my HPTBR list. (High priority to be read).

Actually, I can't wait and I've opened it on my monitor *shudder* and I've started reading it now... K, bye - must stop reading and transfer to eye-saving ebook reader.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Got it! Looking forward to reading it
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Just finished the book moments ago. Great insight into the publishing industry. For a little while I was almost feeling depressed at the state of eBooks, but Steve ends the book well providing a great deal of hope and anticipation for the future. I recommend this for anyone even remotely interested in eBooks; pro or con.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I thought I was going nuts - I KNEW I had downloaded the book before I left on holidays - but it's gooooone. Don't ask me where it went, it simply isn't on my reader. Darn, damit. No worries, will get it again and start reading asap (after I finished the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo).
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-books, history, reference, steve jordan, stevejordanbooks