Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #76
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
And yet, somehow, no K

JK. Glad to help. We're all in this together!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #77
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You didn't read my post correctly. 64-bit Windows will run 32-bit programs, but it will NOT run 16-bit programs.
You're right, I didn't. The answer's still the same -- you can do it. DOSBox and VirtualBox run under Windows 8. If you have a specific program you would like to run using Windows 8x64, post a follow-up or PM me and I'll try to help. If this is just mental masturbation, I think we're done.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #78
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
You're right, I didn't. The answer's still the same -- you can do it. DOSBox and VirtualBox run under Windows 8. If you have a specific program you would like to run using Windows 8x64, post a follow-up or PM me and I'll try to help. If this is just mental masturbation, I think we're done.
VirtualBox runs extremely well in my experiences. So much so that I've ditched Parallels. I run it on my Macbook Pro to run XP, I run it on my 64-bit Win7 Gateway notebook to run 16-bit apps in an XP guest under VB.

I have a ton of old "Microsoft Home" edutainment titles and niche encyclopedia discs that still work great.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #79
wizwor
Wizard

#1 is home from school this weekend. On the way home we stopped at staples to recycle some ink (double-double, you know) and upgrade his phone (chose an S3 over an iPhone -- I'm so proud). While I was transacting these, he tapped me on the shoulder, "Have you seen this?" This was a Surface Pro. "These will replace laptops in ten years." He's a business major, so I'm not sure if I should be excited that he agrees with me about the Surface or disappointed that he hasn't already played with one. I've decided to attribute his ignorance to the fact that he is absorbed in his studies. Anyway, I'm already on notice that it would make a great Christmas present.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #80
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
"These will replace laptops in ten years."
He thinks it will take 10 years?! I'd say they already started to, so make it 2-4 years.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #81
wizwor
Wizard

That is EXACTLY what I said. His response, "No. People won't remember laptops in ten years."
Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #82
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade wrote a review of the Surface Pro. He was very happy with its capabilities as a drawing and gaming machine, with some caveats. Interesting read and the videos are fun to watch:

Quote:
I guess the way to figure that out is to ask what of my other gadgets the Surface would replace? So for this trip up to the mountains I would have taken my iPad but I took the Surface instead. Not only was it a perfectly good replacement, but I was able to draw a comic strip and play some League of Legends. That’s stuff I couldn’t have done on my iPad. Honestly making a strip isn’t something I could have done even if I had brought my laptop unless I also hauled my Intuos out there with me and again the Surface fit in my wife’s purse.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/...ms-surface-pro
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #83
wizwor
Wizard

This has been my impression as well. I think it will be a great single device for just about everything.
Quote:
For me the Surface Pro is actually a great piece of hardware. For other digital artists out there looking for a portable solution or maybe a Cintiq 12WX alternative I would highly recommend it. I’m not actually sure how this review hardware stuff works. I don’t know if MS expects me to give this thing back or not. I’ve already decided that if they do want it back I’ll be making a trip down to the MS store to pick up another. Of course if they do want it back they’re going to have to pry it out of my wife’s hands. She just hit her very first golden age.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #84
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have:
1. A Dell Core i5 Desktop
2. A Samsung Galaxy Tab (original version)
3. A couple of Android phones (one on AT&T and the other on Sprint)
3. An Asus netbook which runs my home automation system.
and most recently
5. A Samsung ATIV Smart PC (Windows 8 Standard running on an Intel Atom 32 bit processor)

Before getting my ATIV, I was on my desktop daily for a minimum of an hour, and sometimes several hours a day. And the Tab for what I needed more portability. Since getting the ATIV my desktop has been having abandonment issues, it’s lucky to see a half hour of use a couple times a week. And I’m not quite sure why I still have the Tab.

One of my phones is a phone, and the other provides internet to the ATIV, since AT&T’s connectivity sucks in my workplace.

It’s just too much hassle to get up from my layback chair and walk all the way to the computer room and wait a couple of minutes to boot up instead of just grabbing the ATIV and doing whatever I need to do.

I know the ATIV is not a Surface Pro, but its larger screen is a blessing to my ancient eyeballs, and does everything I need it to. Besides, it’s about $400US cheaper, and the battery is phenomenal.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Dell XPS12 looks like an interesting alternative to the Surface Pro. Perhaps better if you plan to use it largely with a keyboard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #86
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Dell XPS12 looks like an interesting alternative to the Surface Pro. Perhaps better if you plan to use it largely with a keyboard.
Maybe...but....well...it's a Dell.....
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Maybe...but....well...it's a Dell.....
I like Dell. I currently have a Dell desktop and 3 Dell laptops, all in everyday use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #88
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Thanks everyone for the input. I was looking forward to the Pro release...but opted for an Nexus 7 instead. I put Win8 pro upgrade on both my Acer 11inch laptops. Both boot up and shutdown much faster with Win8. Now with bluestacks I no longer need the Pro.

Metro UI: I used it for two months but got tired of it as I do not have a touch screen, I mostly use the trackpad. So, I bought stardock's Start 8 for win8

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

So, It only cost me 2.50USD for Start 8 and you can configure it to mesh with the Metro UI or keep it old school like win 7. It boots to desktop just as quickly as to the metro UI.

I just find the weight of the pro and the noise factor to be a bit of a deal breaker. My two acers only weigh 1.2 and 1.3kilos with batteries. and full keyboards and 500gigs of space, i5 and i7 intel chips....etc...

Anyways...thanks for the links to the reviews they were good reads...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote