Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hoping Kobo haven't forgotten the Vox

I can't find the thread/post but I was lead to believe that Kobo would not be dropping the Vox. So can Vox owners expect any updates in the near future?
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
There isn't really much they can do to update the Vox, given its specs. Best you can do is hope that minimum specs (and hardware component requirements, like GPS) & Android versions required don't go up too much as various apps on the Play Store get updated... (hell, the Arc is already getting hit that way - Google Chrome, for instance, can't be updated to the latest version)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Sadly given the lack of recent input from the UX rep and the developer they've already forgotten the arc never mind the vox. Not holding my breath for the jellybean update either. In hind site perhaps from a support standpoint the nexus7 would have been a wiser choice.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if they just gave us a vanilla android and left it to us to do as we wish beyond that.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sadly that won't serve their purposes of selling their products. the interferrence by kobo is atleast minimal compared to some. i disabled everything kobo and all the social butterfly apps. installed nova launcher and sideloaded my purchased apps via dropbox and have to say its a good working bit of kit. adobe flash is installed and updated to the latest version. has become my general browsing and entertainment center as i had hoped,if the developers(if they really exist)do manage to get JellyBean i would like to see OTG enabled.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
suedenim
Connoisseur

1 month on and no comment - looks like the Vox has been abandoned for the Arc.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
stevov
Groupie

Pretty sure the arc's been abandoned too.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Pretty sure the arc's been abandoned too.
Doubtful, given the 280MB update a couple of weeks back.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
stevov
Groupie

The update was a month ago.That update would have been in the works a few weeks before its release. IIRC an update was rushed out just before the release to deal with issues. If you remember the first thing the tablet did when you turned it on was update. Robin's last post was dec24, although he logged in a couple days ago for the first time in a while.the developer has gone awol, no explanation for the update which imho has made the tablet worse.just how long is it going to taketo release the JB update that they said was coming even before the tablet was released with ICS.a single thread on XDA and this forum is it forthe internet presence of the Kobo arc.

Last edited by stevov; 02-19-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Seriously, I doubt support for the Arc is being forsaken, although it would be much more professional of Kobo if there were info regarding updates (or anything worthwhile) on their website.

Obviously the company does not feel any pressing need to provide much in the way of information.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Doubtful, given the 280MB update a couple of weeks back.

Did Kobo even mention in any detail what the update was? 280MB is fairly large. I'd like to know what it actually did because just from observation it wasn't a whole lot.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
stevov
Groupie

We need to remember Kobo isn't really Kobo anymore. Just a part of a much bigger whole, probably purchased for its catalogue not its technology. Part of a global strategy. In one of these threads you'll find a link to an article I posted on Rakuten.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
mumsews
mumsews began at the beginning.

I don't mind working on an older version of Android as I have a phone that is up to date. What I DO mind is having an older build of the Kobo app on the Vox than is on my phone. The fact that the Kobo app is not up to date makes me shake my head. I am not technical, is the app limited by the OS version?
mumsews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsews View Post
I don't mind working on an older version of Android as I have a phone that is up to date. What I DO mind is having an older build of the Kobo app on the Vox than is on my phone. The fact that the Kobo app is not up to date makes me shake my head. I am not technical, is the app limited by the OS version?
Yes. Sometimes apps are updated and are only compatible with a certain OS version. It's usually listed in the info for the app.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsews View Post
It seems that the Kobo app is just restricted from being installed on the Vox. I downloaded it to another tablet with the same Android version and then installed it to the Vox and it works fine. This is after I removed the internal memory card and deleted the original Kobo app, though, so I don't know if the update would succeed otherwise.

If it's worth the hassle to you, you can install something like appSaver to your phone and use it make a backup of the Kobo app. Then you can try sideloading the updated Kobo app to the Vox.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote