Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #1156
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
BirdBrains

and we shall count the birds in December
that coldest of all the months
they move more slowly then they say
making them easy to count

but why why why in December
my frozen toes call out
and again Frank asks, “Is that a variegated,
or just a common brown?”

I think next time I’ll ask the Audubon
to check with the government first
they’ve got all those satellites
thanks to me, and with them they can see
to count the birds of December

and my toes most certainly agree

Kenny A. Chaffin – 12/27/2011
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #1157
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

History Lesson

Sometimes I torture the past
bring out the red-hot pokers
and threaten to use them

I know that my life will
be better if I can just get
a confession out of the past

I know it wasn’t my fault
how could it have been
I was just a kid

Kenny A. Chaffin – 12/31/2011
Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #1158
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Nice poem, Kenny. It's frightening to contemplate what might have inspired it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #1159
kennyc

Thanks Tom.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #1160
kennyc

Parts is Parts

Everybody wants
a piece of me

The Bank of America
wants a percentage

My daughter
wants my time

The cat wants
something to eat

Jesus
wants my soul

but it’ll take

the Devil himself
to get it

Kenny A. Chaffin – 6/24/2011

Last edited by kennyc; 01-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #1161
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
WOW

This is a great thread, I've been browsing through the pages but havnt found any recommendations on good poetry/creative writing online corses. Can anyone recommend me some?
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #1162
kennyc

Not sure about classes, but there are a few forums and places.

you might like: http://www.thepoetryforum.co.uk/forum.php
(Geoff and myself participate there)

also http://wildpoetryforum.com/phpBB3/index.php but they seem to be being picky about letting new members in (as Geoff will attest).

also you might check out the Poetry group at Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/233._POETRY_

I could also recommend a few instructional poetry books if you like.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #1163
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I would suggest that there is no shortcut for spending a lot of time in a dictionary and a thesaurus.
If you are writing metric verse you will need that to compose lines that do not compromise on the trifecta of meaning, number of sylables, and rhyme.

Spelling is optional.

(Or I'm making excuses.)
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #1164
bookdragon
bookdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The Walking Wounded

We are the walking wounded,
mother less children in grown bodies
can not help but limp.
We wander along life's pathways.
Never stumbling, holding on;
to each other, to a memory,
to a mother's love.

We, the walking wounded,
are determined to fight;
are determined to win.
When we are triumphant
no more shall you wound.
No more shall innocent children
watch their mothers die.
NO MORE!
For we, the walking wounded,
shall wrest you from the shadows
and slay you.
So that all children
may rest their heads
upon a mother’s healthy breast.
bookdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #1165
kennyc

Mushrooming

The word is popping out of headlines
like its namesake from the ground.
Whether it’s a rising - ‘technology mushrooming’
or disastrous nuclear winter
it’s popping like penguins everywhere -
everywhere I look

Or maybe it’s just the old reference
to being in the dark
and yes being fed shit,
and why should we
why would we anyway

I consider canned mushrooms
because when I buy them fresh
they always seem to turn to
the dark side before I use them

Which makes me wonder if Luke
raised mushrooms on Tatooine
on his uncle’s farm

I check wookipedia and find --YES!
They did. Mushrooms grew near
the base of the moisture vaporators

Damn Tusken raiders anyway!
They should be mushroom vaporated!

Kenny A. Chaffin – 5/5/2012
Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #1166
kennyc

Boy is this thread dead or what?

Here's one I wrote recently, published in the August issue of Red River Review - [Promotional link deleted - MODERAT0R]

House Keeping

It’s a way of cleaning,
the rearranging of furniture
cleaning away the dust-bunnies
that have gathered over the winter

like examined memories
turned from side to side
end to end. Moving them
from place to place
clearing the cobwebs,
refining the past

I move the memory of my brother
from the Huffy bicycle he rode to
the stone that bears his name

I see the glistening water of Lake Texhoma
its dead-carp smell in the bright summer sun
remembered through a buzz of alcohol

I cry for my sister’s two black eyes
the two cars totaled,
the blame all mine

I smell the rich black Oklahoma earth
turned and planted with cotton seed

I feel the sting of cotton bolls
on my back as I lie, a boy
in the harvest trailer
the crisp autumn-leaf smell
of cotton flung from the harvester’s
snout onto my chest burying me

I sweep away the regret of never
really knowing my father, try
not to blame my mother, after
all they were young,
so very very young.

Kenny A. Chaffin - 2/5/2012

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #1167
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Wonderful poem, Kenny.

I'm slowly making my way through this thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's poems.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #1168
kennyc

Take your time, lots here, predates me.....well....being as old as dirt....that's not exactly what I mean, but it predates my participation here.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #1169
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Not dead, just in need of a little housekeeping ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #1170
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Boy is this thread dead or what?

Here's one I wrote recently, published in the August issue of Red River Review - [Promotional link deleted - MODERAT0R]

House Keeping

It’s a way of cleaning,
---
I sweep away the regret of never
really knowing my father, try
not to blame my mother, after
all they were young,
so very very young.

Kenny A. Chaffin - 2/5/2012
Strange just a little while ago, I was cleaning, well really tossing. I am resting now. Big election day. Lots of sorting, cleaning. Company coming tonight. Blessed grandchildren!

Anyway ---

Lost Calls

Tonight 14 cell phones were tossed,
only 3 remain
how much money was lost
on all those calls in vain

Did she ever see the ID
did she ever see my name
Perhaps she did see,
but trembled with some foolish shame.

Hell she could have been my number 4
now she only has herself to blame.