Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
Where to buy a 360 (or plus)

Yesterday I ordered a PB360+ from shop.pocketbookreader.com. I got an email confirming the order, with a link on their page to an invoice. The cost of the order was pulled from my credit card.

Then, today I get an email from them telling me that the order was cancelled. The money was returned to my credit card, so I'm not out anything, except a reader that I really wanted to get.

I haven't been able to get ahold of them to find out why the order was cancelled.

So, is there another source?
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
These guys are running out of inventory, but their website still shows the 360+ as being available: http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/store. You can probably send them an E-mail to find out if they have any left. PocketBook are pulling out of the North American market, so the pickings are getting slim.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Thanks, I put an order in there, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and send them an email as well.

Pity that Pocketbook is abandoning the market. The 360 (not the plus) is about the ideal ereader for me. The 360+ is an OK second choice. All the new readers are going the wrong way (except for Pearl -- a 360 with Pearl would be the *perfect* ereader.) I don't need or want a touch screen or WiFi.

I'm only looking for a new one because I dinged the corner of the screen on the 360 and now it's got streaks on the edges.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg View Post
Thanks, I put an order in there, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and send them an email as well.

Pity that Pocketbook is abandoning the market. The 360 (not the plus) is about the ideal ereader for me. The 360+ is an OK second choice. All the new readers are going the wrong way (except for Pearl -- a 360 with Pearl would be the *perfect* ereader.) I don't need or want a touch screen or WiFi.

I'm only looking for a new one because I dinged the corner of the screen on the 360 and now it's got streaks on the edges.
Not sure I understand this statement to be honest. Most of today's touch screen readers ALSO have page turn buttons, so, you don't HAVE to use the touch screen and, in no way whatsoever (and please do NOT say that screen contrast is affected) does the touch screen negatively affect the reader.

By the way, I own a PB360 and it just doesn't compare to the Sony X50 series readers that I own as well, or the Nook STR that my wife owns. Just not in the same league.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast

No, I understand that current touchscreen technology doesn't hurt the contrast, and as far as that goes, a Pearl screen with touch enabled is still better contrast than I have on the PB360. The readers you mention all have Pearl screens (which would be great) but other than the nicer screens (and the touch interface which I view as a neg) what advantages do they have over the PB360?

My problem with touchscreen is that touching the screen (which I do sometimes indavertantly) affects what's on the screen. I don't care for touchpads on laptops for the same reason. I'd rather explicitly touch a control than have the software interpret a touch as a click.

A criticism I've seen of the PB360 is that the buttons are so stiff. That's one of the things I like about it. A page doesn't get turned unless I make an effort to turn it.

Now, if you could disable the touch interface, that would be fine, but since all other navigation controls have been eliminated, you'd still need touch for them.

Last edited by unkilbeeg; 10-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
jedd
Enthusiast
jedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketboot 360
For the record ...

I have a 360. My other half has the 360+. Given a choice I'd go for the 360+ simply because it runs substantially faster - navigating the directory structure, opening books, and (less of a concern) page turns.

I have a 912, which is a touch-screen model, but you must use a stylus - touching the screen with your finger doesn't make any matter, other than you need to clean your screen later :)

The wifi feature in both the 360+ and the 912 are turned off all the time - the feature just isn't interesting.

The 360+ is the same price - perhaps even slightly cheaper - here in UK / EU than the 360 is (or rather, was).

The only complication for me is that the 360 and the 360+ aren't running the same variant of the OS, so it makes the (not particularly heady) task of maintaining both systems slightly more complicated. But it's not a slight against either.

As an aside - the touch screen on the 912 is about as useful as I thought it would be - read: not very much. I've played with it, and it's slightly faster when navigating to specific pages, or doing searches on words, but those are irregular things, and the time saved is minuscule at best. It's nice to be able to circle text, and highlight it, but for very small values of nice. Obviously others have different use patterns, and I could see some situations where all these features would be very handy for some people. But, OTOH, if you don't want to use them, then just ignore them. I got the 912 because it was around the same price as the 902 and 903, but a slightly better product, and they seemed to be dropping the 90x range at the time.

So - to address your concerns - the 360+ isn't a touch interface, and you disable it by basically not waving the stylus around.

And 'all the other navigation controls have been eliminated' is not an accurate assertion.
jedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast

I agree about the wifi's lack of interest value. My new 360+ just showed up a couple of days ago, so I haven't had a chance to test its speed, but that will be a pleasant upgrade. I must have just gotten under the wire for North American purchases. The second vendor I tried completed the sale and I have it in my hands, but their site no longer has a 'buy' button on any Pocketbook products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedd View Post
And 'all the other navigation controls have been eliminated' is not an accurate assertion.
Well, not for all (or even most) touchscreens. Now. But it appears that the newer models are becoming more and more 'touch only" so that does seem to be where the trend is heading.

Sony still has physical controls. Kobo has a home button, everything else is touch. Most Kindles still have controls, but the newest one, the Kindle Paperwhite, is all touch. The Nook Simple Touch still has page turn buttons as well as a home button, but no other navigation controls. Pocketbook is no longer in our market, so for me they don't count...

So it looks to me that touch only is the ideal they are working towards.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg View Post
I agree about the wifi's lack of interest value. My new 360+ just showed up a couple of days ago, so I haven't had a chance to test its speed, but that will be a pleasant upgrade. I must have just gotten under the wire for North American purchases. The second vendor I tried completed the sale and I have it in my hands, but their site no longer has a 'buy' button on any Pocketbook products.
Yes, I noticed that the Store link disappeared soon after you said you contacted them. I was a bit worried that I had lead you to more aggravation, so I'm relieved that you were able to get the device after all.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote