Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Device: Galaxy Tab 7.7
Reader: Moon+
Desktop: 27" iMac running Mt. Lion
Calibre: 0.8.64

I was able to connect multiple times and send books in just testing the app. I was then able to import them into moon and everything looked good.

After testing with a few books I started sending a large number and managed to transfer around 176 books and then Calibre Companion force closed and will not re-open. When I try to open it again I get the message that it force closed and either hit ok or send report. I did send the report with system data so you should have a good view of what is going on, however after repeated attempts the app will not re-open.

I have not uninstalled and re-installed yet to see if that fixes things. I thought I would post the report here first to see if you had any additional suggestions.

Overall, I like where you're taking this. I prefer to use my reader for sorting, etc. so I'm importing into Moon+, but that is all working fine. I'm looking forward to further enhancements, but so far very good despite my issue.

Issue resolved with latest release. Thanks again.

Last edited by Mr. Goodbar; 08-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
g007
g007 began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
Using Calibre Companion with Mantano Lite and MoonReader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Did you tell Mantano to scan to folder, or did it do so because you opened a book located in the folder?

We won't be at all surprised if someone prefers the interface of a reader app over Calibre Companion's. It might be what the person is used to, it could be color schemes, or even something like a "wooden bookshelf" graphical view.
In both Mantano and MoonReader+, I used their built in "import" functionality. MoonReader+ offers better importing than Mantano: you can point it to a single folder to scan and import books and it won't import books twice. Mantano by default scans the entire device and presents a list of "eligible" files, from which you have to check the ones you want to import and it will import titles twice. In both readers, all the Calibre metadata, including tags, series, and description is included in the 'book details'.

Most importantly, both readers leave the actual files where they are on your device (e.g., in the folder Companion_Calibre), so you can keep all your book files (thank you Calibre Companion) in one place. Both Mantano and MoonReader include the book path as part of the book details.

I did notice that while Calibre Companion appears to launch MantanoLite when you select it in the "Choose Reader" dialog, MoonReader+ seems to open within Calibre Companion, rather than as a separate running app.

I have been tearing my hair out trying to get a bunch of books onto my device and into my reader, with metadata, without doing them one at a time with a thousand taps. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Love the app!!
g007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #33
Xyo
Xyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
See FAQ entry #13 (new entry).

Bottom line: Kindle for Android does not publish that it can open .mobi files (or any other kind of file), so Calibre Companion does not know that it exists, and it is unable pass books to it. Your choices are to use a different reader app to read mobi files (there are several) or to change CC's storage folder to the Kindle folder. If you take the latter route then you will need to open Kindle for Android yourself. K4A will automatically import any books it finds.

We recognize that storing all your books in the kindle folder is not optimal. This is one reason that we will be implementing book "format" routing, a feature that will let you select a different storage folder per book type. The feature will help when someone uses multiple reader apps.
Ah, that makes sense. I switched to FBreader and that works fine with .mobi files.

I also have a suggestion. Your app is the only one I've ever found to allow the sorting of books by series. What would be nice is if, when in that sorting mode, the app would just list the series, rather than still displaying each individual book. Then when you click on the series name, it shows you the books in that series.

Think of it like the album view on an MP3 player, where you scroll through the list of albums and only when you click on one do you see individual songs.
Xyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyo View Post
I also have a suggestion. Your app is the only one I've ever found to allow the sorting of books by series. What would be nice is if, when in that sorting mode, the app would just list the series, rather than still displaying each individual book. Then when you click on the series name, it shows you the books in that series.
Unless I'm misinterpreting you, this is exactly what it does if you click group by series.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #35
Xyo
Xyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Unless I'm misinterpreting you, this is exactly what it does if you click group by series.
Oh, my bad. Yeah, I was only sorting by series rather than grouping. Well, it's awesome that it lets you do that.

Although it doesn't seem to retrain that setting when the app restarts. If I group by series and then either close the app by swiping it out of the recent apps list in jellybean (which, as far as I'm aware, closes down the app normally rather than force closes it) or rebooting the device, the books are no longer grouped when I open the app again.

Last edited by Xyo; 08-14-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Xyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #36
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Hi folks,

Has this been tested with a Sony PRS-T1 yet? Also, is it possible to get the apk somehow instead of installing via the Google Play? I've rooted my PRS-T1 so I can install apk's directly, but haven't jumped through the hoops yet to install/enable Google Play on the T1.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #37
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Hi folks,

Has this been tested with a Sony PRS-T1 yet? Also, is it possible to get the apk somehow instead of installing via the Google Play? I've rooted my PRS-T1 so I can install apk's directly, but haven't jumped through the hoops yet to install/enable Google Play on the T1.

Cheers,
Simon.
Hi, the app is currently only available through Google Play - even if you did install it from another source, it has a Google Play license check in it. Assuming you could get Google Play to work, I've no idea whether our app would work on an e-reader. It's not something I've tried to do before
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Hi folks,

Cheers,
Simon.
Wont work Sony and Nook Touch are Anroid 2.1 only if I recall correctly and this app supports 2.3 and above only
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #39
g007
g007 began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7
Quote:
It would need to be author by series by title.
Aren't series, when used as sort key, always ordered within the list/group in series order? Not by title?
g007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyo View Post
Although it doesn't seem to retain that setting when the app restarts. [...]
That's right; we don't currently save how the user last sorted/grouped. If enough people would like this, I'll add it to our feature request list.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #41
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by g007 View Post
Aren't series, when used as sort key, always ordered within the list/group in series order? Not by title?
Yes. Dwanthy was asking for a specific kind of sort - author by series (or series within author). My response pointed out that it would need to be author by series by title so that books with no series are in a reasonable order.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #42
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes. Dwanthy was asking for a specific kind of sort - author by series (or series within author). My response pointed out that it would need to be author by series by title so that books with no series are in a reasonable order.
I knew that too, just didn't articulate it fully. After all my default sort tweak in calibre's GUI is (('authors', 0), ('series', 0), ('title', 0)).

So far I love the progress on this app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #43
FlareHeart
FlareHeart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch and Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
That's right; we don't currently save how the user last sorted/grouped. If enough people would like this, I'll add it to our feature request list.
I would like maybe a setting in the options for having it store the last used sort but also being able to have it turned off for those who don't want it.

I know that's more work programming-wise, but I think it would satisfy everyone.

Personally, I would turn it on as I do want it to remember my last used sort. I tend to sort it once and prefer that it stay that way, but I know not everyone does.
FlareHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #44
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Just purchased the companion.
Some initial reactions, and they may be peculiar to me since I have my Calibre Library in the cloud (longer response times).

After connecting, nothing happens. This seems counter intuitive. Perhaps a message telling the user it is time to send some books from Calibre to the device?

I read part of the FAQ and noticed the problem with Kindle. In a future update it would be nice to set up separate receiving folders for ePub and Mobi/AZW so I can separate books depending on what eReader software I want to use.

If the phone goes to sleep I can't reestablish my connection to Calibre. The wireles connection from the server side is still on, but the client in the device can't find it. I'm forced to go to Calibre, disconnect and restart the connection.

------------
Now, this is perhaps a bit unfair, but this is what I thought I'd be able to do.
Since my library is in the cloud, I wan't to be able to access it at any time, no matter what device I'm on. I assumed Calibre Companion would do that for me and I would stil be able to find the books I want.
I'm using Box and I can off course get to my library through the Box client for Android, but since file names aren't always intuitive I'm not always able to find what I'm looking for.

This isn't really a complaint, more a confession of my own impatience in reading explanations and pre-maturely jumping to optimistic conclusions.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #45
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
See FAQ entry #13 (new entry).

We recognize that storing all your books in the kindle folder is not optimal. This is one reason that we will be implementing book "format" routing, a feature that will let you select a different storage folder per book type. The feature will help when someone uses multiple reader apps.
Excellent, that is one of the things I'm hoping for.
Now, being able to initiate downloads from the Android app would be a godsend.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote