Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can I clone a micro sd card. How?

I'm running Cyanogenmod 7 from an 8GB micro sd card. I'd like to be able to clone the card so I don't have to go through setup, settings, etc., with a new installation if this card fails. I tried the backup in Clockworkmod but it failed to complete (not enough space!).
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
What you want to do is create an image of the SD card. The exact details depend on your computer operating system. You fire up some software, point it at the card, and make an image which you store on your computer. Then you can write that image back to a card later.

You may already have such software on your computer (e.g. some Nero products often come preinstalled), or for some operating systems you can use the command line. This is a Windows one that they mention at XDA.
http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12

Just be careful at the time you write the image back. If you designated the wrong drive to write to, obviously it would be a big disaster.

Last edited by Mujokan; 06-18-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Simple task if you are going to run from an SD card. Simply pop card in a USB reader and using Win32diskimager simply use read and copy the image to your hard drive. Then use write to put it on each SD card. It will make an identical copy.

Whether it will run when you place the card and boot in a different Nook is something I haven't tried but it should be fine. I use this method to back up mine to different SD cards when I want to try out a different ROM.

Last edited by goldberry; 06-18-2012 at 09:44 PM.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for both replies. I'm still trying to get the cloned card to boot past the initial Team-B splash screen. If I'm successful I'll post my "how to".
Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I copied my card a few weeks ago and put it in a brand new Nook Color. First bootup took a very long time, but the one after that was the same as in my regular Nook Color.
It was just like having my own Nook. Apps and Google Play working flawless.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I used WinImage.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
fredlave
Connoisseur

I d/led HDDGURU's HDD Raw Copy Tool (http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/) and it worked great. In fact, I'm running my NT off the cloned microSD card now. I did a direct card to card copy. The Raw Copy Tool is a bit rough around the edges but it works. Mujokin's advice to be cautious when using it is well founded. It does not list your disk drives as A:, B:, C:, etc. and it's easy to mistake the target drive for the source and erase your precious microSD card. What I did was to put my source card into an SD adapter and then write protect it with the little slider on the left edge of the adapter. This saved me on my first attempt to clone and my second attempt was successful. Thanks for the great advice, guys.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
Mujokin's advice to be cautious when using it is well founded. It does not list your disk drives as A:, B:, C:, etc. and it's easy to mistake the target drive for the source and erase your precious microSD card.
There are worse accidents than erasing one's original microsSD card image: some folks have accidentally overwritten their Nook internal drive or even their PC/Laptop C: home drive
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
OldSeaDog
OldSeaDog began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Cloning a micro sd card

I found the simplest way to clone a micro sd card, was to use two USB card readers and MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro v7.5. Use the "copy disk wizard" to make an exact copy of the original micro sd card onto the new card. Be patient if you have a lot of data on the original sd card.
If copying a 16gb to a 32gb sd card, you will see a large "unallocated partition" left over. Use the "Move/Resize Partion" to expand to the full 32gb and you're done.
Dave
OldSeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
One thing I learned from cloning cards is that cards of the same nominal size (e.g., "8GB", "16GB", etc.) don't necessarily have the precisely same capacity, especially if they are from different manufacturers -- so the cloning happens to be from one card to another tiny-bit smaller card it would un-variably fail.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
fredlave
Connoisseur

See my post from 6/20/13 for the cloning "how to". I have copied several μSD cards using the method I outlined above. Though time consuming ( a 16 GB card can take about an hour to complete) the technique makes perfect copies as long as the cards are identical in brand and capacity. Yesterday, I cloned a card before I upgraded to a newer build of succulent's CM 10.1 ROM "just in case" something didn't work right.