Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
Kefi
Kefi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Duokan Switcher for Kindle Touch

Hi.

Duokan Switcher is a KUAL extension that can toggle Duokan autostart on boot and helps you switch to Duokan system from the... framework? faster.
Currently, this extension is only tested on KT and it will not run on other devices by design. You may modify the code (i.e. bin/dkswitcher.sh) to remove the limitation and see if it would work on your device.

NiLuJe's code helped a lot. Many thanks!

GitHub page here.
Download version 0.1 here:
Attached Files
File Type: zip DKSwitcher-v0.1.zip (4.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Kefi; 02-15-2020 at 05:36 AM. Reason: i forgot to mention NiLuJe :(
Kefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Wrong forum?

You probably wanted the Kindle Dev subforum (where you'll get thrown rotten tomatoes because Duokan, fair warning).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Duokan.com looks a little bit Chinese to me. Book store and reading app in one? Targeted at jailbroken Kindles? Sounds like a risky business model.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Frenzie: Yep, add to that a long and varied history of being grade-A pricks.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
Kefi
Kefi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Wrong forum?

You probably wanted the Kindle Dev subforum (where you'll get thrown rotten tomatoes because Duokan, fair warning).
Yup, I posted this to the wrong forum. I was looking for the latest KOReader build, then I smoothly switched to this tab when I decided to release this tool... And I even managed to edit this thread once without realizing I did it wrong. Now I cannot edit even delete this thread anymore.
The only reason that I still have Duokan installed is that the only book I bought on it is DRM protected... but you can read it offline once it's downloaded onto your Kindle Maybe that's a clue.
BTW, in China, business models like Duokan are quite common.
Kefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the surface it doesn't sound like a morally wrong business model or anything. You buy a piece of hardware, you can do with it whatever you want. (So says the law, here in most of Europe anyway; maybe not in America.) Someone else wants to sell stuff for your piece of hardware that you can do with whatever you want? Sure, why not.

But risky because:

a. There might still be legal countermeasures available to Amazon. Duokan isn't the owner of my hypothetical Kindle, so maybe they wouldn't technically be allowed to sell stuff for jailbroken Kindles if Amazon doesn't want them to, even if I'm perfectly free to jailbreak my Kindle.
b. How popular can jailbroken Kindles possibly be? (Maybe the answer is millions upon millions in China… :P)

Last edited by Frenzie; 02-17-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Frenzie: They massively broke the ToS by bypassing 3G restrictions at one point in time. Among various other extremely shady stuff.

You could possibly lay a large part of the blame in Amazon getting increasingly finicky with protecting Kindles at their feet.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #8
Frenzie
Guru

I assume you mean making Amazon pay for transferring Duokan content to Kindles over 3G, rather than something like breaking a SIM-lock restriction?