Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
iPod - Say Sayonara - Dead at 21 years old

My 13 year-old unit still works, but I haven't used it in years.

Adiós, old friend.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For those of us that tend to avoid reading any news, this is what the Dr. is referring to:

Final refrain for iPod as Apple stops production

If you still want an iPod Touch (for some reason) you can buy them while supplies last.

Last edited by ApK; 05-11-2022 at 11:23 AM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Plenty of good mp3 players still made and none need Apple's Cloud software or iTunes host software to put music on them.
Even the HDD on that version had encrypted boot. You couldn't use the HDD in anything else and you had to buy an iPod compatible one if it failed.
No loss. Always walled garden and overpriced.
Also iTune's per track selling of Albums was contrary to what artists wanted and almost destroyed the concept albumn.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ipod

And loads of inaccuracies: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...after-21-years

It was the first product to make a serious profit for Apple after Steve Jobs returned. Apple nearly went bust in 1990s and was bailed out by Microsoft!
Apple's second serious profit product was the iPhone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also iTune's per track selling of Albums was contrary to what artists wanted and almost destroyed the concept albumn.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ipod
Piracy had more to do with this than anything else. People were tired of the practice of bands putting out albums with one or two singles in a batch of meh songs.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Piracy had more to do with this than anything else. People were tired of the practice of bands putting out albums with one or two singles in a batch of meh songs.
That was true for some bands. But it was deliberate Apple and Publisher policy to sell 99c / 99p per track. Last time I looked (ages ago) you had to buy all the tracks and download separately. A CD was cheaper for an Album.

The peak MP3 piracy was per track because:
1) It was piracy
2) Many people still on 19K to 56k dialup, charged at normal call rates
3) People NOT doing piracy bought & ripped CDs. Control over quality.
4) All of this was before iTunes launched on Mac which was maybe a year before the iPod was launched. The iTunes & Apple marketing made iPod quick success, not the user interface or technology or price.

I had to set up a load of Win98 computers for people that bought iPods 2001- 2002 because Apple didn't supply software. Also I think iPod initially used Firewire (which is superior to USB, esp then but was killed for domestic use by royalty costs. No royalty on USB. There later was a security issue with Firewire, but USB HID is worse!).

I still occasionally buy CDs. I had an mp3 player then Archos 4.8" pmp with 120 Gbyte or 160 Gbyte HDD. Phone made it obsolete. I got an emergency rechargeable FM-VHF/AM-MW-SW radio with torch. New for €12 two weeks ago. It plays SD card MP3s too.
I've three working phones with 32 G SD cards good for MP3. I use Musicolet as the player as it does audio books; it "remembers" last location on all files.
Christmas time we put the playlist on one of the PCs with a little FM transmitter (sold to play phone/mp3s on car radio, legal) and any FM radio works. Normally two cheap low power Sat boxes feed those.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-11-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2022, 05:18 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Apples last iPod, the iPod touch lasted this long only because it was an Apple product. If you weren't wedded to Apple's ecosystem, a $20 pre-paid Android phone was just as capable as an MP3 player and at a fraction of Apple's outrageous prices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Apples last iPod, the iPod touch lasted this long only because it was an Apple product. If you weren't wedded to Apple's ecosystem, a $20 pre-paid Android phone was just as capable as an MP3 player and at a fraction of Apple's outrageous prices.
Have to disagree on the 'only' part. One of my favorite pieces of tech is my iPod Touch. It's the 7th gen, and two years old, so I have some time left with it.

It's a small tablet. Perfect size for me, and I can slip it into a pocket, toss it in my purse, wear it on a lanyard, stick it in my bra, and push on with my day. (Depends on my mood and what I'm wearing. Most women's pants don't have pockets you could put a paperclip in.)

I even read on it, watch tv, listen to podcasts, music... It's small, works well, and can do just about anything my ipad mini's can do.

Anymore, I'm used to the stuff I actually like and use getting phased out. I'm going to be really bummed when it dies.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Isn't it just an iPhone without the phone? More or less the same iOS and everything? If I were an Apple sheep I'd just buy an iPhone.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #9
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Isn't it just an iPhone without the phone? More or less the same iOS and everything? If I were an Apple sheep I'd just buy an iPhone.
For the storage I get, it'd be more expensive. I have an iphone, but save it's storage and power for emergencies. We got my son one for Chrismas a few years ago, because he uses his iPhone for work, (as does hubby) and he had problem running the iphone battery down during the day. Now he can keep his music/podcasts running and not have to worry about his iphone lasting all day.

I have a iphone 13 now, and when it's time for a new one may keep the old one for just tablet use. But it's not nearly as easy to carry around as the touch. And by then I'd probably have to put in the extra cost to have the battery replaced.

Although, I don't think it's about being a 'sheep'. There's nothing wrong with loving something that works for you. And while I do have eInk devices I read on, there's nothing wrong with Apple.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Have to disagree on the 'only' part. One of my favorite pieces of tech is my iPod Touch. It's the 7th gen, and two years old, so I have some time left with it.

It's a small tablet. Perfect size for me, and I can slip it into a pocket, toss it in my purse, wear it on a lanyard, stick it in my bra, and push on with my day. (Depends on my mood and what I'm wearing. Most women's pants don't have pockets you could put a paperclip in.)

I even read on it, watch tv, listen to podcasts, music... It's small, works well, and can do just about anything my ipad mini's can do.

Anymore, I'm used to the stuff I actually like and use getting phased out. I'm going to be really bummed when it dies.
Cheap Android phones do the same thing.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yeah, it is.

The Android version of an iPod touch is a non-activated Android phone. Cheap and just as capable.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it is.

The Android version of an iPod touch is a non-activated Android phone. Cheap and just as capable.
If you're in the Apple/iTunes camp, the main difference is purchasing a new iPhone to use as a player is far more expensive. Probably more than the iPod Touch.
Android, you can get a capable one off the shelf at Walmart or Target for, what, $40?
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #13
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Cheap Android phones do the same thing.
I've had cheap Androids, phones and tablets. They were all 'Meh' and had their own problems.

I like what I like, or I wouldn't pay for them. I'll stick with Apple for exactly as long as they do it for me, thanks.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:49 PM   #14
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If you're in the Apple/iTunes camp, the main difference is purchasing a new iPhone to use as a player is far more expensive. Probably more than the iPod Touch.
Depends on how much storage you want, but yes, the Touch is hundreds cheaper than an iPhone. Plus, they're smaller than most iPhone models.

Starter price on the Touch was about $199.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I've had cheap Androids, phones and tablets. They were all 'Meh' and had their own problems.

I like what I like, or I wouldn't pay for them. I'll stick with Apple for exactly as long as they do it for me, thanks.
And I'll stick with low-priced devices - $100 laptops, $30 Fire Tabs, and $20 Android phones.