Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dory - An E-Ink Door Sign

Hey there,

E-Ink, the display manufacturer, is highlighting some of their newest partnerships in a recent article on their very own blog.

One of these new partners is a company called Dory, who are about to release the Dory Sign, a digital door sign using E-Inks display technology. (Pre-orders are starting now and they are supposed to be shipped in Summer of 2022.)

Quote:
The Door Sign Reinvented

We recently inked (no pun intended!) a new partnership with Dory – an elegant, modern and future-proof solution that brings a touch of style and personality to your spaces.

Dory’s door signs feature beautiful illustrations and designed templates in a wide variety of styles. You can also set up temporary messages to welcome your dinner guests – or tell the delivery guy you're back in five minutes. Say goodbye to post-it-notes!

What’s cool about Dory is that the frames feature E Ink’s low-power display technology. They hold a static image without needing any power at all and can show text and illustrations with impressive detail and clarity.

With Dory signs, you can start personalizing and getting creative with your space!

kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I would be interested in these for my store.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2022, 05:40 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Our local village supermarket is using quite large eink price labels, part red & black. They have all the stuff of the older printed labels. No battery. The cordless programming terminal powers it. The terminal can also scan printed EAN/UPC barcode on the product and also scan existing eink label and change price if needed, or barcodes don't match decide if label needs completely updated or product on wrong place.

Not sure why these "Dory" labels are news here. It's not a new thing and not an ereader
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is news because it's yet another use for eInk.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #6
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Not sure why these "Dory" labels are news here. It's not a new thing and not an ereader
I thought this is a pretty interesting product. (And E-Ink themself thought this news worthy aswell.) If you don't like it, that is fine.

It is not meant to read books, sure, yet you can call this an "e-reader". It does use an electronic screen to display text, that is read by people...

Digital supermaket labels are not quite the same, are they?
They are not a product meant for home use. (I would not even know where to by such a system.) And most people would probably not want to wire up their door to a terminal and write custom code for a door sign.

A better comparison would be the M5Paper Development Kit. That could be used for a door sign aswell, I guess, but would require some DIY.

So yeah, I think the Dory Sign is a "new" thing. It is a plug-and-play solution to a digital door sign.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:21 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
These are basically exactly the same as elabels out for years. It's just a new brand.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #8
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
These are basically exactly the same as elabels out for years. It's just a new brand.
The department store Kohl's uses some kind of eInk shelf label to show prices and the latest discounts -- just a black and white version.

They're not very bright, but the prices must be easier to update than printed labels on the shelves. And it's harder for them to get lost. (I wish certain grocery stores around here would use eInk labels.)
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #9
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
I think I've just found a new use for an old e-reader.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
One way these devices are making me happy is that they bring more revenue to the E-Ink Corporation, which increases the odds that ereader screens will continue to be developed and manufactured by them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I would be interested in these for my store.
Apache
I was thinking about slapping one up on the french doors into my office, just for S&G's. Nobody navigates those doors that isn't already "here" and knowing where they are going, but...just for fun.

De Boss.

lol

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I was thinking about slapping one up on the french doors into my office, just for S&G's. Nobody navigates those doors that isn't already "here" and knowing where they are going, but...just for fun.

De Boss.

lol

Hitch

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure why these "Dory" labels are news here. It's not a new thing and not an ereader.

Elabels are for businesses. You probably have to buy dozens of them at a time. These things are targeted at consumers. These are 129 Euros apiece (!). Frames apparently are an additional 29 or 49 Euros. I only glanced so maybe it comes with a plain white frame and those pricey ones are for fancy pants.

Last edited by hobnail; 02-27-2022 at 06:43 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #14
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just ordered a "Xiaomi Mi Multifunctional Digital Clock Electronic-INK Screen" from Walmart. Amazon offers a "Mijia Digital Hygrometer Smart Home Clock E-Ink Display" which looks similar to the Xiaomi clock.

I just received an Aqara TVOC air quality monitor from Amazon; basically a thermometer and humidity sensor also with some sort air quality monitor, also e-ink. I wanted it because it transmits its readings to a zigbee hub, which mine sends the readings to mqtt, which I'll query for a little app I'll write in wxPython (I tried pyqt and didn't like it so now wxPython gets a chance to impress me, or not).

The Aqara is strictly black and white; no grays, no antialiasing.

Anyhow, it's nice to finally see some devices for home that use e-ink.

Last edited by hobnail; 02-27-2022 at 06:55 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I just ordered a "Xiaomi Mi Multifunctional Digital Clock Electronic-INK Screen" from Walmart. Amazon offers a "Mijia Digital Hygrometer Smart Home Clock E-Ink Display" which looks similar to the Xiaomi clock.

I just received an Aqara TVOC air quality monitor from Amazon; basically a thermometer and humidity sensor also with some sort air quality monitor, also e-ink. I wanted it because it transmits its readings to a zigbee hub, which mine sends the readings to mqtt, which I'll query for a little app I'll write in wxPython (I tried pyqt and didn't like it so now wxPython gets a chance to impress me, or not).

The Aqara is strictly black and white; no grays, no antialiasing.

Anyhow, it's nice to finally see some devices for home that use e-ink.
Can you let us know about the Xiaomi when you get it? I know my use sounds silly--and it is, let's not kibitz about that--but I'm really tempted.

I mean, hell, apropos, amirite?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote