Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
do you still read paper books?

Sometimes you see this gorgeous book with beautiful hardcover in the store, or sitting on the bookshelf (my husband's books). Should I grab it and read it or not? I find it so easy with an ereader instead of this heavy book on my lap. What are your thoughts? You still read paper books or exceptions for paper books? Or just only ebooks?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Of course I still read paper books, even for fiction (perhaps especially for fiction, as the selection available for free in the library is considerably better than that available even at deep-discount sale for my e-readers), as I'm cheap and have a library card and am not afraid to use it.

And especially for certain kinds of non-fiction (as well as graphic novels), the actual books often work better in paper (or at least, not nearly so well in e-), if they're reference or artbooks or picture/chart/graph-intensive items.

That said, I'm fortunate enough not to have any sort of physical or financial issues that would preclude my reading paper books or obtaining easy access to them, and I do live in a place with some very well-stocked library systems with a high quality selection available.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Sometimes you see this gorgeous book with beautiful hardcover in the store, or sitting on the bookshelf (my husband's books). Should I grab it and read it or not? I find it so easy with an ereader instead of this heavy book on my lap. What are your thoughts? You still read paper books or exceptions for paper books? Or just only ebooks?
I do buy and borrow pbooks but read them mainly on ereaders and tablets, with pbook usually standing untouchably on the shelf or returned to a friend or library the very next day it made love with my scanner.

Last edited by markom; 11-22-2014 at 05:06 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I work outdoors. In the winter, at lunch, I like to read. Kindle can't handle 20degree weather but my paperbacks have no problem with it.

One of the main reasons I still keep paperbooks around.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll still read paper books occasionally. It has nothing to do with them looking gorgeous, or being beautiful, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Some friends keep giving me pbooks as birthday gifts, so I save them for the next holiday at the beach, where I wouldn't dare take my Sony Reader...

Anyway, I'm not an ebook fundamentalist, I love pbooks as well.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
I use e-readers almost exclusively for scientific reading. Personally, I find the e-reader one of the most useful consumer electronics I own, but I don't think it will ever convey the pleasure of reading a real paperback. Thus, fiction or anything I would like to really enjoy reading for that matter, I will always prefer in the form of real books.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It would be impossible for me to read only ebooks, because most of the books I need for my academic studies are not available as ebooks.

My recreational reading is, however, exclusively ebooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
No more pbooks for me.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
A favorite author released a graphic novel a couple of years ago related to a series she's written. I finally got around to reading ~gasp~ the hard copy version a couple of months ago. Before that it had been years since I'd read a physical book.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I only read ebooks, except for art books, craft books, etc that have lots of illustrations. I can't comfortably read paper books any more - I need the larger font of my Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would be impossible for me to read only ebooks, because most of the books I need for my academic studies are not available as ebooks.

My recreational reading is, however, exclusively ebooks.
The same for me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #13
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I strongly prefer reading ebooks, but I do still read paper-based books -- most of the reasons have already been listed. Some science-fact books rely on charts and graphs, and they usually come across more clearly in hard copy. Also, there are matters of price and availability. I shop at a local used book store for inexpensive books that aren't available as ebooks. And I go to the library when I want to read a recent release that's too expensive (I'm just not going to pay $15 for an ebook, even if the hard cover is $25.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #14
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
I sometimes miss the simplicity of reading pbooks (lol I love that term), but I've been reading ebooks almost exclusively for a few years; my ereaders are easier to hold and weigh much less. I also love the idea of letters and words appearing in e-ink or digital form. It's so sci-fi-ish to me... I'm a geek. lol

EDIT: Oh, one more thing, I love the fact that you could sideload LOTS of ebooks into an ereader!

Last edited by trichobezoar; 11-22-2014 at 08:11 PM.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I read pbooks, every Shabbos.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote