Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Keyboard preferences

I purchased a IBM Rapid Access keyboard (KB-9930, I believe Rapid Access II) recently and have hacked it so that all the multimedia keys work (the drivers to use them do not exist for Windows 7).
Are you particular about what keyboard to use with your computer?
If so, what keyboard is best?
Is the old solid keyboard best, or do you insist on new and shiny?
Are multimedia keyboards wrong, or is it a case of the more buttons the better?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I kill keyboards. Not intentionally, really. For years and years, my preference has been Logitech. However, the last two Logitechs I've had, I killed even quicker than normal, so maybe next time I'll get something else....although I have no idea what. I like multimedia keys, even though I seldom actually USE them.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I kill keyboards. Not intentionally, really. For years and years, my preference has been Logitech. However, the last two Logitechs I've had, I killed even quicker than normal, so maybe next time I'll get something else....although I have no idea what. I like multimedia keys, even though I seldom actually USE them.
I think that's why I like older keyboards: they still work.
Newer keyboards end up with broken keys, completely worn off lettering - this keyboard has somewhat worn lettering but is still perfectly legible - and generally don't have the "clack clack" of older ones.
And yes I'm a sucker for multimedia keys The audio ones are particularly useful.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I think that's why I like older keyboards: they still work.
Newer keyboards end up with broken keys, completely worn off lettering - this keyboard has somewhat worn lettering but is still perfectly legible - and generally don't have the "clack clack" of older ones.
And yes I'm a sucker for multimedia keys The audio ones are particularly useful.
I have a little app that creates the clack clack sound of old typewriters when I use the keyboard.
If anyone wants it, pm me and I'll put it up in a filesharing site for you.

My current keyboard is a multi-media Microsoft wireless. A couple of the keys have worn off lettering now but it's still working well. I find myself using the volume control buttons often as we use my monitor to watch TV and movies. I used to use Logitec but after having two of their multi-media wireless models break down on me, I switched to Microsoft.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I just go for the keyboard that comes on my mac laptop I have never really thought much about keyboards.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I only buy Logitech keyboards. I've had one Microsoft keyboard which was my favorite to type on (one of those broken/curved keyboards) but it often didn't start up quick enough when I booted the computer and Windows refused to load unless it detected a keyboard. I had an old cheap keyboard I could plug in when my MS one didn't want to wake up and when Windows had loaded I switched them.

I would love another curved keyboard but they either haven't got media keys or they're too high to fit in the keyboard drawer (I alway type with my hand in the drawer, never pulling it out).

I learned to type on an old fashioned typewriter (my year was the last, they switched to computers after) as a result my first keyboards didn't live that long because I was used to using quite some force whilst typing, LOL.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I would love another curved keyboard but they either haven't got media keys or they're too high to fit in the keyboard drawer (I alway type with my hand in the drawer, never pulling it out).
But how do you see the little letters on the keys?

Stitchawl
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
But how do you see the little letters on the keys?
Don't need to see them. When I learned to type we had to put caps over the keys so we couldn't see which letter it was. They were kind of colour coded to show which finger you should use to strike it (e.g. all blue keys you had to be striken with your index finger). When typing, especially when I'm copying something from paper, I usually know when I made a mistake without looking at the keys or the screen, this was especially handy when writing literature essays and having to copy a lot of quotes.

As long as I can find the raised bumps on the f and j I can find my way around. I only have to pull out the drawer when I need to find one of the symbol over the number like ^ and %, the ones I use most I can find blindly so I hardly ever have to pull out the drawer.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I still have an OLD ergonomic Microsoft keyboard (one of those huge, heavy white ones). I don't use it anymore, though I keep it for back-up.

What I am using now is the wireless Microsoft Comfort Keyboard 5000, which is another ergonomic keyboard. This one also came with a wireless mouse as a set and has all the nifty multifunction keys.

Truthfully, I don't care all that much about its functions - except for the wireless bit. What I like is the ergonomic keyboard style. I'm very spoiled with them and even have one at work. So much better to type with.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

The fascination with Microsoft keyboards is beyond me.
Such keyboards are definitely not classic in my opinion, the curved ones are unnatural and the purchase of one funds the evil empire.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
What I am using now is the wireless Microsoft Comfort Keyboard 5000, which is another ergonomic keyboard. This one also came with a wireless mouse as a set and has all the nifty multifunction keys.

Truthfully, I don't care all that much about its functions - except for the wireless bit. What I like is the ergonomic keyboard style. I'm very spoiled with them and even have one at work. So much better to type with.
That is the same setup I use. I found that I needed to update the drivers last year as the old ones were playing havoc with my computer. Once I updated them, all went well.

Stitchawl
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
My favorite keyboard is a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. The doc said try it, and along with two weeks of ibuprofen the pain in my wrist left and never came back. I have one at work, where I'm on it nine hours a day. Still using a straight-line keyboard at home, but I'm not on it much.

What's bugging me recently, though, is that we've picked up a contract with a large foreign based business that gave us one of their laptops so we could get into their network. Now I learned to touch type back when Ford was president; I can hit every key, including numbers and punctuation, quite reliably.

On a US layout.

This loaner laptop has a British keyboard layout.

My brain hurts to use it.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
jkeene:

I feel your pain.

Reminds me of the time I was traveling through Germany and stopped for an overnight. I decided to check my banking account, online, using the [German] hotel's system.

Heh.

At the time, I was using a password created by going diagonally down the keyboard twice - once with the shift key on, once with it off. Great random method ... on a US keyboard.

Turns out the keys on a German keyboard aren't the same. I locked myself out before I realized what was wrong (never knew keyboards were different!).

Had to wait until I got home to call my bank and reset my password. I think that's about the last time I used that method of password setting...
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
jkeene:

I feel your pain.[snip]
Turns out the keys on a German keyboard aren't the same. I locked myself out before I realized what was wrong (never knew keyboards were different!).
Try a Japanese keyboard... Lots of fun! They don't use an apostrophe in Japanese so it's hidden behind the 7. No spaces between words so the space bar is only about an inch wide...

Stitchawl
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Way back in the early 80s I worked for AES Data, then of word-processor fame... One of my tasks was to work out keyboard encodings for ALL the to-be-supported keyboards - worldwide! The German and French ones were the easy ones; there were Viet Namese, Tamil, various Indian sub-continent ones, you name it. Of course, once Word Star came out, it was pretty much game over for AES.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote