Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #196
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
The point is that everybody can buy it and return if they don't like jetBook or keep it and enjoy ebook reading if they like it .
Not if they buy it from NewEgg! They have a non-refund policy.

Yeah, I know but not everyone has a BB&B within a couple of thousand miles, and not every BB&B has JetBooks.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #197
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Not if they buy it from NewEgg! They have a non-refund policy.

Yeah, I know but not everyone has a BB&B within a couple of thousand miles, and not every BB&B has JetBooks.
They posted in PR that 900 BB&B stores will have jetBooks by the end of 2009. I'm not sure if they have stores in HI
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #198
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Kris777, you have become a very strong advocate for the jetbook and are very willing to share your knowledge.

Have you spent time on the jetbook site forums?

It seems to be very lonely over there and people have to wait a while for an answer to their questions and / or problems. I've read some of the Dear Customer and Dear Sir or Madam responses (I assume from the company) and feel that you could share some of your knowledge.

Many people with problems would be very grateful for your help in explaining the jetbook. I know that I am always anxious when I have a problem and have to wait for a response. I'm sure jetbook owners on the forum would be very happy to have someone who could respond quickly with help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #199
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Kris777, you have become a very strong advocate for the jetbook and are very willing to share your knowledge.

Have you spent time on the jetbook site forums?

It seems to be very lonely over there and people have to wait a while for an answer to their questions and / or problems. I've read some of the Dear Customer and Dear Sir or Madam responses (I assume from the company) and feel that you could share some of your knowledge.

Many people with problems would be very grateful for your help in explaining the jetbook. I know that I am always anxious when I have a problem and have to wait for a response. I'm sure jetbook owners on the forum would be very happy to have someone who could respond quickly with help.
I don't spend my time on jetbook site forum and I never visited jetBook forums yet - just don't have much time for it. I really like jetBook unit and asked several times about jetBook forum on mobileread.com website but still waiting for it (I'm not sure if it takes much time to add new section).
Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #200
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kris777, I think you would be of great help to the people on the jetbook site forum as they do not have as many knowledgeable people there to help them.

Here, on MobileRead, we have a lot of helpful people and don't have to wait long for someone to give advice.

Maybe, if you could share your knowledge by starting new threads on the jetbook site forum, you could encourage many people to join in and increase the help available to jetbook owners with problems and / or questions.

This would also allow the jetbook (ectaco) company to learn about what their customers are experiencing and / or thinking.

Also, I'm sure that you are aware that the MR site owner (Alex) has a full-time job and does this in his very spare time. He has mentioned that he has many things or changes that are being considered for this site and will get to them when he is able. We are all very grateful for the time that he does devote to this site and for making it such a great place to share ideas and to learn.
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #201
Kris777
Banned

dreams, what about your sister-in-law? Can you tell us if she likes jetBook? How it works, screen, interface etc?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #202
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
dreams, what about your sister-in-law? Can you tell us if she likes jetBook? How it works, screen, interface etc?
Kris777, Thanks for asking. I posted the below quote earlier in this thread (post #191) and in your other thread about the average jetbook user and their (our) experience. I will requote to make it easier to reread.

Quote:
O.K. The way I see it is that this is being marketed for Average People. Tech savvy people know what to check for and will mostly be O.K. as they can see problem areas. I agree that the average person will not have the background to understand when they purchase it. I posted in the below thread about an average person's experience...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...621#post436621
Quote:
OK average person: my sister-in-law ordered it for her mother and herself. Surprise! "Now, we all have readers and can share books!"she tells me.

They both like bestsellers and Harlequin Romances. My sister-in-law loved my reader but, we never really talked about formats.
She called tonight about which to download as Harlequin had 3 different ones for the book and was Mobipocket the same as MOBI?

I checked the site and they had:Adobe PDF eBook (which I found out really means ADE), Microsoft eBook, and Mobipocket eBook.

I told her "none" as they had DRM. It took me almost an hour to try to explain: no you can't buy the "kindle" book just because you have a reader, DRM means protected, ADE, PDF, etc.... you get the idea. I only have a basic knowledge myself with the Sony 505 and had to explain that yes I can get some books she can't and off again because she still didn't get it. Then, she asked about library books.. as my mom had said I could get library books too.

I was exhausted trying to explain but, I did advise her to forget them and just get Sony 505's. That way it still meets their requirements: size, bestsellers, and Harlequin Romances (plus at least I can get them started).

So were these "average people" happy? Not even close.
Was I happy? Nope. I don't mind explaining how to use something but, trying to explain the why not is exhausting.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #203
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Kris777, Thanks for asking. I posted the below quote earlier in this thread (post #191) and in your other thread about the average jetbook user and their (our) experience. I will requote to make it easier to reread.
So, they didn't read any books on jetBook unit, right?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #204
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
So, they didn't read any books on jetBook unit, right?
No. The books that they wanted had DRM and couldn't be used on the jetbook.

Most of the books that they will be reading will be Harlequin Romance and bestsellers and from the library.

The jetbook will not allow them to do this legally.

They do not want to nor do they know how to make changes and strip DRM to make them readable on the jetbook. They just want to buy a book and read it.

Last edited by dreams; 04-26-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-26-2009, 02:20 AM   #205
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
No. The books that they wanted had DRM and couldn't be used on the jetbook.

Most of the books that they will be reading will be Harlequin Romance and bestsellers and from the library.

The jetbook will not be something that they will be able to read their choice of books on.

They do not want to nor do they know how to make changes and strip DRM to make them readable on the jetbook. They just want to buy a book and read it.
They can buy more than 20,000 DRM free books from fictionwise website. I think all books will be available in DRM free format very soon.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #206
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
They can buy more than 20,000 DRM free books from fictionwise website. I think all books will be available in DRM free format very soon.
Are these books Harlequin Romance, current bestsellers, or library books? This is what they want now.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #207
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Are these books Harlequin Romance, current bestsellers, or library books? This is what they want now.
What they will do in case if they will find the book that they want on Amazon website but it will not be available on Sony website(Amazon has more DRMed books than Sony but you recommended them to buy Sony reader)?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #208
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
What they will do in case if they will find the book that they want on Amazon website but it will not be available on Sony website(Amazon has more DRMed books than Sony but you recommended them to buy Sony reader)?
They can get it from the library if they want. They read mostly Harlequin Romance and buy those from Harlequin.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #209
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Hi Dreams,

You can also refer them to eharlequin.com and have them buy books that ARE compatible with Sony e-reader.

I also love putting library books on my e-reader.

Your sister in law sounds just like me as I read bestsellers as well as Romance Novels. I feel the Sony would be best for them. I DO NOT only shop at the sony website. I have found a few different websites that I have bought books from.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:26 AM   #210
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Hi Dreams,

You can also refer them to eharlequin.com and have them buy books that ARE compatible with Sony e-reader.

I also love putting library books on my e-reader.

Your sister in law sounds just like me as I read bestsellers as well as Romance Novels. I feel the Sony would be best for them. I DO NOT only shop at the sony website. I have found a few different websites that I have bought books from.
Thank you Kelly1010. I've been trying to explain to Kris777 that the jetbook was not what they wanted once they found out that they could not get the books they like. (that was a lot of "they"s) My sis-in-law and her mother subscribe to the Harlequin pbooks monthly and thought it would save space and money if they were to use a Reader like me.