Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs up Convert Books - Selecting Output Format

A while ago the list of output formats was modified so that most used formats (EPUB, MOBI) were moved to the top. It was a move in the right direction!
Now I wish that that list, besides "better" was made "smarter" - automatically determine which formats are actually most used and sort accordingly!
In my case RTF would be right there after MOBI if not above it.
I would even go as far as to add 2 or 3 check boxes (not radio buttons) to the left of the dropdown for the 2 or 3 most used formats and keep the drop down list for all the rest.
That way one could do :
1. a 1-click output format selection
2. "simultaneous" multiple output conversions

Cheers
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
A while ago the list of output formats was modified so that most used formats (EPUB, MOBI) were moved to the top. It was a move in the right direction!
Now I wish that that list, besides "better" was made "smarter" - automatically determine which formats are actually most used and sort accordingly!
In my case RTF would be right there after MOBI if not above it.
I would even go as far as to add 2 or 3 check boxes (not radio buttons) to the left of the dropdown for the 2 or 3 most used formats and keep the drop down list for all the rest.
That way one could do :
1. a 1-click output format selection
2. "simultaneous" multiple output conversions

Cheers
2: Most likely not doable as different process flows are involved.
1: you can change the output format with 1 click (on the conversion pulldown)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think its two clicks for RTF, one click to scroll the pulldown menu, another click to select RTF (and hope you don't miss)

It would be nice if the user could order the list of Output Formats to suit their use of Calibre
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
2: Most likely not doable as different process flows are involved.
1. Try and count your clicks. Unless you convert to Mobi, there are at least 2 clicks involved - one to unfold the list and another one to select an item. In case of RTF there are 3 clicks.

I am not even sure why MOBI is at the top of my list. At first i thought because i set Kindle as output device in output preferences (Preferences->Conversion->Common Options->Page Setup). I tried changing to other readers but MOBI stayed on top of the list anyway.

2. I did not mean Simultaneous as actually running two conversion jobs in parallel but Simultaneous as user interaction experience - select two output formats in one go and press Ok to start (a sequence of) 2 conversion jobs.

Minor code modification:

Code:
For each selected output format 
  Run conversion
Next

Last edited by Starko; 06-26-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
I am not even sure why MOBI is at the top of my list. At first i thought because i set Kindle as output device in output preferences (Preferences->Conversion->Common Options->Page Setup). I tried changing to other readers but MOBI stayed on top of the list anyway.
You can't change the order of the list, but you can set preferred output format in Preferences>Behavior>. Set it to RTF, and that will be pre-selected when you open up the conversion dialog
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Starko, you're right its three clicks. Actually I use the keyboard, so for me its Tab, Alt/Down, End, 5xUpArrows - I find that faster that mousing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
You can't change the order of the list, but you can set preferred output format in Preferences>Behavior>. Set it to RTF, and that will be pre-selected when you open up the conversion dialog
tilia That puts RTF as the default, but not at top of list. So If I'm converting RTF to EPUB which I do just as often as EPUB to RTF, then I have to navigate back to the top of the list.

Ordinarily I convert between 3 formats - EPUB, PDF and RTF, so I'd like them at top of list. What ever I select, EPUB, PDF or RTF I can't see all three formats without scrolling the list.

But its no big deal, its just an 'annoyance', and for me at least there are remarkably few of those in Calibre.

I often think 'I wish Calibre could do this'. And then when I look at where I think this might be; lo and behold its there.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
Starko
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Actually I use the keyboard, so for me its Tab, Alt/Down, End, 5xUpArrows - I find that faster that mousing.
Try Tab, R, R. This is 6 keypresses less

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Ordinarily I convert between 3 formats - EPUB, PDF and RTF, so I'd like them at top of list. What ever I select, EPUB, PDF or RTF I can't see all three formats without scrolling the list.
Mine favorites are EPUB, MOBI & RTF, often two at a time. That's why i wish there was a possibility to select them quickly and more than one at once

@tilia. Thanks for the tip. It seems that the general assumption is that the majority of people use only one output format. I am not so sure though... and with two favorites one has to constantly switch

I believe that implementing some intelligence here is really easy to implement

Last edited by Starko; 06-27-2012 at 03:57 AM.