Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #46
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've stopped taking off my belt since it doesn't set off the scanner.
This gave me a very bad visual.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #47
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I saw a news report about a week ago that they were asking people to remove electronic devices from bags because they couldn't see them clearly in the x-ray machine with multiple devices on top of each other.

I have a messenger bag with a zipper that splits the bag in half. It is designed specifically for airports so you can leave everything in the bag, but spread the electronics out so that only one layer of them goes through the machine at a time. I wonder if that would be good enough.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #48
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Nobody is talking about Xray damage. They're talking about the potential for static electricity damage from the conveyor belt.
The screen is damaged it's not from static electricity either. It's very clear that's a broken screen.. again. The problem here is the assumption it was damaged by the X-ray machine/ belt. I have seen many broken screens similar to what is in the photo. The simple fact is it was probably miss handled by the original owner at some point or by rough handling of the inspector at the inspection point.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #49
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've stopped taking off my belt since it doesn't set off the scanner.
Thank god for that the mental image of your pants around your ankles was horrifying.

Jk......
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #50
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
The screen is damaged it's not from static electricity either. It's very clear that's a broken screen.. again. The problem here is the assumption it was damaged by the X-ray machine/ belt. I have seen many broken screens similar to what is in the photo. The simple fact is it was probably miss handled by the original owner at some point or by rough handling of the inspector at the inspection point.
Where exactly do you see evidence of a broken substrate (which is what I take "broken screen" or "damaged screen" as meaning) in those pictures? To me it's clearly an electronics/controller fault as all the lines I see are straight. Any broken substrate I've ever seen has at least one curved or diagonal line, and part of the screen that no longer update. I don't see either of those things evident on this screen. What I do see is STRAIGHT lines and a screen that changes over the whole thing but is messed up. That screams controller/electronic issues rather than a broken substrate. The one picture of the book cover has curved lines, but from what I can see those are from the actual picture rather than an artifact on the screen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:11 AM   #51
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
One time when I went through Manchester the guy next to me had his iPad stolen because your stuff goes through the belt faster than you can through the scanners, and it was an easy target not being inside a bag.
I always was through the scanner before my stuff was... But then, I usually need 2 or 3 trays. One for my bag, then one for my tablets and generic pocket stuff. Bag always goes first.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #52
Bobbe
Enthusiast
Bobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blueBobbe can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: sony prs 300
We took a flight back and forth in Europe a month ago. At Schiphol Airport we had to dig "everything electronical" out of the bag into a tray. Included electrical cords, toothbrush, wall charger, powerbank.

We had four kobo's with us, but I made sure they were double bagged: the readers are all in a fitted cover, but around the cover I put neoprene sleeves or a washcloth. Purely for travelling purposes; an old glo broke a couple of years ago while in a cover in a bag, so I'm really really careful now.

On the flight back (from a really small airport in the south of Europe) we had to dig everything out again! Every Kobo, every smartphone, dig around for the toothbrush again.

Anyway, I'm really careful with those screens, especially while travelling. Sometimes I read in Kobo ereader reviews: "the reader is so great, I just throw it in my bag and take it everywhere", I always hope the reviewer won't end up with a broken screen.
Bobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One of the Amazon ads showed a Kindle with no cover being put in a back pocket. Very bad idea to show that. Readers tend to break more frequently in a pocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo glo screen airport