Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Oasis issues

~ds

I've already noticed an issue with ~ds and touchscreen on the oasis in a thread posted here

Dictionary
A second issue I'm having is, that the device isn't able to translate a word placed at the end of a sentence, followed by a period, and an Em-dash.
Selecting that word, will automatically select the last word of the sentence (the one you will want to select), together with the first word of the new sentence.

And of course, it won't find 2 words as 1 in the dictionary, nor wikipedia.

Swipe to unlock
I'm sure a lot of people find it a nuisance to swipe and unlock the device.
I would much rather be able to just leave the device unlocked, or open via buttons.

Battery life
So, on the first Oasis, they had about the same battery life (or better), and an additional battery sleeve. I wonder what got into them, for thinking the device would do fine without the extra battery life?
I want a device that has a year always on battery, and perhaps a month of continuous reading (not impossible, just use a $8, 3000mAh battery)!

Screen saver
I find the screen saver goes on too quickly.
I like small text in books, and often read a piece, to then do something small, and continue reading.
I often find 5 minutes of distraction, is enough to have to go through the annoying 'swipe to unlock' system again!

BT module, audio books, file formats
Although I don't use audiobooks, I think that the Oasis is ill equipped for audio books!
Aside from it's small SSD drive, battery life already is too small for decent playback time!
And are there any documents on what kind of formats it supports?
Nothing in the usermanual! Just "audiobooks".
No specifications, like AAC, M4A, MP3, WMA, OGG file containers?
Compatible Bitrates?
If the device supports 24kbits WMA, or 22kbits M4A, it'll be good for basic audio books.
MP3 as well. But I doubt it has a lot of exotic file support! (anyone care to test?)

I wanted to create a small thread with issues on the Oasis. Maybe (hopefully) Amazon might address some of them?
I feel like they've thrown the Oasis too hastily on the market, costing too much, and too many things not worked out yet.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-27-2017 at 06:47 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post

Swipe to unlock
I'm sure a lot of people find it a nuisance to swipe and unlock the device.
I would much rather be able to just leave the device unlocked, or open via buttons.
This one's easy. Just get rid of the ads. I've never had to swipe a Kindle in my life (international models are without ads).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Audiobook file formats: only AAC audible format is supported, nothing else. Downloading is disabled over the cell connection (I have tried and indeed it does not work) - wifi only (and sideloading which I have not tried). When downloading over wifi a partial download is playable after a small chunk is done, no need to wait for all.

Dictionary: when translating, does it work with the "translate" tab that utilizes online bing translator? I seen it is capable of translating whole sentences when wifi is on. Need to check yet if it works on cell like wikipedia.

~ds - I would not mention any problems with it to Amazon, it is not supported and possibly only still available due to an oversight
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The time out period is 10 minutes, same as all e-ink Kindles. The em-dash has always been a problem for the pop up dictionary. Swipe to unlock doesn't bother me, if it did, I'd pay to remove the sleep screen ads so the Smart Cover opening would wake the device up. $20 buys a few books, which is a better use of my money.

I don't use audible books.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any info on what bitrates the device supports with aac?
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Any info on what bitrates the device supports with aac?
Since there is no free tool to create aac files, go ahead and test it out at your hearts desire. The audiobooks I downloaded will never get listened to. Only reason I have them, because they were free from audible trials and I had to check out the BT adaptor for my stereo.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac

There are plenty of free programs that can compress audio in AAC format.
Some of them will have an audible watermark on them, or limitations in the length of the encoding.
But that would not matter for test encodings.
Unfortunately,I'm at my work right now, and can't install any programs here (no Admin privileges).