Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Still no PDF contrast update for DX-DXG?

I can't believe I spent 400 bucks on a device exclusively to read academic PDFs, and Amazon has not had the decency to roll out the K3 update that would allow me to change the contrast and other settings which are obviously not impossible to implement, since they are on the K3.
Is this what we can expect from Amazon? I'm probably going to sell my DX and get an iPad. I love the eink screen for reading books, but for a paper the ipad is probably good enough, plus I can make annotations on the file...
I'm very disappointed with Amazon - way to go serving your "DeluXe" customers...
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Amazon seems to have the attitude that once the hardware is sold, they don't need to update the software, unlike, for example, Apple...

P.S. - You would do a lot more good griping to Amazon customer service rather than here.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Recently I made some suggestions about improving PDF support on Kindle 3, and I got a response that 'PDF support is experimental'. It's just not the highest priority for Amazon (or for Kindle owners generally I suspect).

That said, I purchased my K2 (paying nearly as much as you did for your DXG) when there was no Kindle PDF support whatever. When basic PDF support arrived unexpectedly in an update months later, it was like Christmas had arrived. So it is all a matter of perspective.

You might consider a Sony reader (e.g. PRS-650, for about $220). Though it is only a 6" screen it has a very rich set of PDF viewing capabilities, including full annotation, contrast adjustment, two-column viewing mode, and PDF reflow.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
If PDF is more important than books for you, then you should definitely go with Sony (see PDF section in Kindle vs. Sony comparison). Sony was better at PDF even in PRS-600.

As far as K3 PDF features making it into KDX are concerned, my guess is that Amazon is currently working on software update that would allow to lend books. Once this software update is released, all devices starting from K2 will get 3.* software and hence identical PDF features.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
As far as K3 PDF features making it into KDX are concerned, my guess is that Amazon is currently working on software update that would allow to lend books. Once this software update is released, all devices starting from K2 will get 3.* software and hence identical PDF features.
We still hope. The update was promised for 2010. Not that many days left...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
love_guru
love_guru began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
If PDF is more important than books for you, then you should definitely go with Sony (see PDF section in Kindle vs. Sony comparison). Sony was better at PDF even in PRS-600.

I have to butt in on this. The PRS-600 has no contrast adjustment either, and the only advantage it has over the Kindle DX when it comes to PDF reading is the reflow functionality which is kinda moot with the DX's wonderful big screen.
love_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
biodu
Enthusiast
biodu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
How to adjust PDF contrast with Kindle:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93&postcount=3
biodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Why should i use alternate firmware for DXG when K3 doesn't need one for the same feature ?

It seems to me that DXG isn't the top Amazon Reader; it's Kindle 3.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote