Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #16
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
"Storm Front" is Urban Fantasy.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #17
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
I would like to nominate "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis.

Available here.

This one doesn't seem to be available in Australia..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I would like to nominate "Risen" by our own MR member, Jan Strnad.

blurb:
Terror has come to the small town of Anderson, Kansas, where Death has gone on holiday and the recently deceased are returning to life, not as shambling zombies, but seemingly as good as new. Are the resurrections a miracle, or something far more sinister? Previously published by Pinnacle Books under the pseudonym of J. Knight. Revised in 2010.

C'mon, do I have a second?

Yep... I second Risen. I have wanted to read it for ages.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #19
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Thanks, recluse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
This one doesn't seem to be available in Australia..
lene, did you check using the links from post #4?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #20
Mercury
Enthusiast
Mercury doesn't litterMercury doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505, iPad
I'm going to third Risen. It's been on my to be read list for a while.

I love horror, am sure i will take part, no matter what is chosen!
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #21
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Thanks, recluse.

lene, did you check using the links from post #4?
Yes... I checked them all..
Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #22
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
I'm going to third Risen. It's been on my to be read list for a while.

I love horror, am sure i will take part, no matter what is chosen!
I was always too afraid to read horror, but now that my favourite genre, when I'm on nightshifts....
Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #23
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I was always too afraid to read horror, but now that my favourite genre, when I'm on nightshifts....
it sure will keep you awake!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #24
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I recently read *Risen* by MR member and self-publishing indie author Jan Strnad in the US, and can't recommend it highly enough for October's Book Club choice.

This book, when I downloaded it, I didn't think would appeal to me. Its convenient genre tag (maybe 'horror') ain't a favourite of mine, but -- wow! -- did I change my mind. I guess there must be a huge difference between a 'horror story' and a story that can horrify.

Strnad takes a small anytown and creates it brick by brick, just as cleverly and subtly as he builds his every-day characters and his intricate interlocking story lines.

Then, just when you tihnk you're living in that town and know its population so well that you can pop round to borrow the morning paper and share a cup o' joe ... Strnad hits you with epidemic murder, mayhem, and a spernatural element that doesn't require further suspension of disbelief. It arises as naturally and acceptably as a round of 'flu or an infestation of insects in the garden shed. It's just so darned for-real.

Strnad is a master of the creeping macabre. In my book, he succeeds where King so often fails.

Try it.

*Risen* for the October pick. The very book for a long, dark winter night by a flickering hearth fire (or fancy clip-on sidelight for your reader, of course). I just hope you don't feel the need to hide from your neighbours the following morning.

Happy reading. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Urban Fantasy.. just a really dumb category. It's Fantasy with an undead twist. But as for being horror, not at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #26
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
I'd like to nominate "Darkly Dreaming Dexter," by Jeft Lindsey. Wikipedia describes the book as: "The novel's protagonist, Dexter Morgan, works for the Miami-Dade Police Department as a forensic blood spatter pattern analyst. In his spare time, Dexter is a serial killer with a catch: he only kills murderers that he believes have escaped judicial punishment." Lindsey has a series of 4 books starring Dexter Morgan. A great read and even made into a TV series.
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayw1pi View Post
I'd like to nominate "Darkly Dreaming Dexter," by Jeft Lindsey. Wikipedia describes the book as: "The novel's protagonist, Dexter Morgan, works for the Miami-Dade Police Department as a forensic blood spatter pattern analyst. In his spare time, Dexter is a serial killer with a catch: he only kills murderers that he believes have escaped judicial punishment." Lindsey has a series of 4 books starring Dexter Morgan. A great read and even made into a TV series.
For those trying to look up the author, the correct spelling is Jeff Lindsay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #28
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
*Risen* for the October pick. The very book for a long, dark winter night by a flickering hearth fire (or fancy clip-on sidelight for your reader, of course). I just hope you don't feel the need to hide from your neighbours the following morning.
I will second this one. It sounds great.

I just checked it out at Smashwords and I see there is a free companion book of short stories.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I strongly recommend "Risen," by J. Strnad.

The writing is superior.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #30
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Look, Agnes!
It's a cult!
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote