Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
denodan
Enthusiast
denodan doesn't litterdenodan doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story
For those in NZ and Australia were are the ebooks?

I have an iriver Story, and seems due to geo restrictions, like DVD's ebooks seem to be zoned, were do you buy your ebooks?

It is hard to find a good place? I did find this one.

http://www.ebooks.com/

The beauty of this site, is when you buy an ebook and go to pay for it, it tells you if you can buy it with a warning cannot buy this due to outside USA restrictions.

I have been to some other sites, bought ebooks only to find I go to download them and cannot because of Geo restristions and had to get refunds.

It is so frustrating many ebooks are not avaiable to us outside the USA.
denodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
lente
Enthusiast
lente is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
I have an iriver Story, and seems due to geo restrictions, like DVD's ebooks seem to be zoned, were do you buy your ebooks?

It is hard to find a good place? I did find this one.

http://www.ebooks.com/

The beauty of this site, is when you buy an ebook and go to pay for it, it tells you if you can buy it with a warning cannot buy this due to outside USA restrictions.

I have been to some other sites, bought ebooks only to find I go to download them and cannot because of Geo restristions and had to get refunds.

It is so frustrating many ebooks are not avaiable to us outside the USA.
Join the club.
lente is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
For the minimum amount of fuss due to the moronic geo restrictions you can buy from the Oz ebookstores Readwithoutpaper.com, borders.com.au(though their website search sucks at the moment), Dymocks(hopeless prices) and soon the Angus & Robertson ebookstore. Also the UK ebookstores Whsmiths and Waterstones have most ebooks available to Australia(some are restricted to UK only).
There are also many other smaller ebookstores that don't have geo restrictions.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Here are some ebook sites.

http://www.webscription.net/Default.aspx?
Baen books online store. Region and DRM free prices are superb.

https://www.fictionwise.com/
A good all round store some DRM and geographical restrictions, all multiformat books region and DRM free. Owned by Barnes and Noble

http://www.smashwords.com/
Good cheap independent online book store.

http://www.akwbooks.com/
Another independent online publisher I have read some excellent stuff from here.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/
An English store. Prices can be high but some things can be bought that are geographically restricted by the American stores. Sells paper and electronic stuff.

http://www.readwithoutpaper.com/
Australian apparently. Some good stuff. I have not bought from them yet but it is only a matter of time.

https://www.dadirect.com/
A Melbourne outfit sells ebook readers generally better known as suppliers to librarians and libraries.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
Wayne Watson
Wayne Watson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Whitcoulls in New Zealand have just started selling ebooks:

Here
Wayne Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
you can do what I do, create an account with a US based book store using your Australian Credit Card but give a US billing address. and when you use your web browser to buy the book, run Hotspot shield first.

I buy books from a number of US book sellers without any problem
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
courton
courton began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
This is a big problem... hopefully, this mess should be sorted out in the next 6 months with so many ebook readers coming on the market.
courton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Borders has just started selling ebooks - but I can't actually download anything from their site without using the Kobo software So be wary of buying anything from them unless you can successfully get a free ebook of theirs onto your reader!

Edited to add: Just wait... Download links work fine from my work computer... but from home computer they link to the Borders main page Weird.

Last edited by nomesque; 06-07-2010 at 03:26 AM.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
I struggle on most of the websites in that every time I think, wouldn't mind that book, I click through - unavailable due to geographic restrictions.
I realise there is only a select group of publishers that have released rights to Australian consumers - does anyone have a list of those publishers? That way I won't waste my time clicking on books that aren't released yet - taa
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Night Shade and Pyr, for a couple.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
BlixemDownUnder
BlixemDownUnder began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus
See this for an explanation: http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2010/07...n-english.html
BlixemDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #12
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
www.bookdepository.co.uk

ebooks tab on the side.

I have been able to get many books that I was unable to from others sites - due to 'geographical restriction'.
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #13
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
you can do what I do, create an account with a US based book store using your Australian Credit Card but give a US billing address. and when you use your web browser to buy the book, run Hotspot shield first.

I buy books from a number of US book sellers without any problem
These days you need to also need a US card such as US unlocked or other such cards to be able to buy any book you want.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkers View Post
These days you need to also need a US card such as US unlocked or other such cards to be able to buy any book you want.
Diesel in particular is very hard to use a non US card to buy GR ebooks.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote