Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Do all voyages have the gradient?

I got a voyage finally for the $120 refurb price. Plus: the text is crisper than my PW2. Minus: 1/ the tapered body makes it harder _for me_ to hold; 2/ I see the gradient.

The screen is a cooler color on the bottom left, then it gets progressively warmer until the top and right side is kind of a brown color. In bright daylight, it's fine, but less than
bright daylight, I see it.

The cooler part is like my PW. I actually like the warmer part and would be happy if the whole screen were like the top, but the gradient is distracting. It makes the screen look dirty, for lack of a better word, like an old paperback with yellowing edge.

I'm considering trying for an exchange, but I can't tell how "bad" it is. I suspect it may be normal and another one won't make a difference. Has anyone had one with a gradient that bothered them, exchanged it, and got one they felt was acceptable or even "perfect"?

Thanks
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I don't have a KV but that is just not right - return it.

IIRC, the KV is the model with extra 2 leds (6 rather than 4) -
not all of yours are working.
But even if I am wrong, none of the front lighted devices should show a gradient.
(Since it is refurbished - it might have a mis-matched waveform file installed.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never heard of anyone having a Voyage that doesn't have a colour gradient. The only questions are whether you see it at all and, if you do, whether it bothers you. If it bothers you, my honest advice would be to get a different device.

I (like most people, it seems) don't see it visually, but if I photograph my screen and look at the pixel colours, I can see that it goes from yellow-tinged at one end to blue-tinged at the other.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the Development sub-forum and to the main Kindle Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I never noticed that -
no KV but I do have a PW3 (supposedly the same screen).
Hmm...
Which answers my own question - it must the KOA that has six leds.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I never noticed that -
no KV but I do have a PW3 (supposedly the same screen).
Hmm...
Which answers my own question - it must the KOA that has six leds.
The Voyage has the gradient, but the PW3 doesn't. I think the Voyage uses a different type of light diffuser, probably because of its flush screen.

You're right about the LEDs: the Voyage has 6, the Oasis 10.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

The whole key to the discussion is your eyes and whether it bugs you enough to get a different unit or model. As Harry says, some people see it and others don't. Some see it so much that it bothers them, while others see it but can live with it as it is not too much of a distraction. I see it on my Voyage, and it is like a bluish shadow. But it is not that bad. My Voyage has a faint bluish tint over the entire screen at comfortable light levels which I find annoying as my eyes work better with a warmer tint, but even with the gradient I can use the Voyage to read in daylight. I much prefer using my iPad Mini 2 Retina when lighting of the screen is necessary. But that is just me. I don't care for any lit eInk device I've ever owned and that includes the PW1, PW2, and Voyage. The light layer just messes things up for my eyes. I returned both PWs after trying several replacements, but my Voyage was barely okay enough to keep for bright area reading (in a well lit room or outside in daylight). I still wish Amazon would make a non-lit eInk device with the Voyage or better screen, but minus the light layer of course. I never had visual issues with any non-lit eInk device.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-27-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Moved out of the Development sub-forum and to the main Kindle Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Sorry about that. I didn't notice I was posting in the dev forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The whole key to the discussion is your eyes and whether it bugs you enough to get a different unit or model.
I still wish Amazon would make a non-lit eInk device with the Voyage or better screen, but minus the light layer of course. I never had visual issues with any non-lit eInk device.
Yeah I know it is iffy. That's why I want to know if anyone who was bothered by the gradient got an exchange and it was better.

I don't know if the crisper text I see has more to do with the higher PPI or the glass screen. If the former, I may be happier with the PW3.

As for the bare, non lit kindles, I agree, those don't have these issues and they have a lighter background due to not having any layers. Unfortunately, I'm reliant on the light now.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Sorry about that. I didn't notice I was posting in the dev forum.

Yeah I know it is iffy. That's why I want to know if anyone who was bothered by the gradient got an exchange and it was better.

I don't know if the crisper text I see has more to do with the higher PPI or the glass screen. If the former, I may be happier with the PW3.

As for the bare, non lit kindles, I agree, those don't have these issues and they have a lighter background due to not having any layers. Unfortunately, I'm reliant on the light now.
I think the sharper/crisper text is mostly due to the higher PPI, however I really like the glass that runs across the front of the device without the drop down for the bezel like older Kindles have. It is more like the tablets we have these days.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Barty I have seen 2 side by side Voyages. Both are a little different. Both bought in the last few months. Mine seems whiter and I don't see a gradient. My husbands has a tan or warmer tone to the screen. We both can see the difference in both devices. Both have good contrast. You might want to try again and see if you get something less noticeable. Some screens are bluer or cooler tones, others are warmer. Some have a spectrum of gradients across the screen. I would try for one that has an even color across the screen even if it's not white to you. Hopefully you'll get one that's just right for you. I don't think it matters if they are refurbished or not. You just need the best match for your eyes.

Last edited by Wearever; 11-27-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think the screen gradient is there to some extent in them all, but there is a lot of variance, and it's not just down to differing eyesight. If it bothers you, try an exchange. I did that when I bought my PW (I felt it had a blue tinge to the screen at low lighting conditions), but when my replacement arrived it was a lot worse, and I realised that the screen on my original was actually pretty good.

I've attached an image of my Voyage (sorry it's not the greatest pic), and I can clearly see a gradient in low lighting or when reading in the dark, but it's a 'smooth' gradient from bottom to top (and to my eyes, not too bad). If one side was lighter as well, I don't think I'd be happy to live with that, refurb or not.

Incidentally, contrary to jswinden's view, I think its the glass screen more than the PPI that makes the text look much clearer on the Voyage. When I look at the likes of the PW3 & Kobo Glo HD I can only really notice how much better the text looks when I see an older ereader next to it. With the Voyage, I can look at it on its own and see that the text just looks better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voyage_dark.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	153274  
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #12
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
I think the screen gradient is there to some extent in them all, but there is a lot of variance, and it's not just down to differing eyesight. If it bothers you, try an exchange. I did that when I bought my PW (I felt it had a blue tinge to the screen at low lighting conditions), but when my replacement arrived it was a lot worse, and I realised that the screen on my original was actually pretty good.

I've attached an image of my Voyage (sorry it's not the greatest pic), and I can clearly see a gradient in low lighting or when reading in the dark, but it's a 'smooth' gradient from bottom to top (and to my eyes, not too bad). If one side was lighter as well, I don't think I'd be happy to live with that, refurb or not.

Incidentally, contrary to jswinden's view, I think its the glass screen more than the PPI that makes the text look much clearer on the Voyage. When I look at the likes of the PW3 & Kobo Glo HD I can only really notice how much better the text looks when I see an older ereader next to it. With the Voyage, I can look at it on its own and see that the text just looks better.
^^ your voyage looks SO nice. I just got a PW3, I really wanted a voyage but in Canada its $299 vs $120 for the PW
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
Barty
doofus

I'll use it for a few more days to see if I get used to the gradient. I should mention I set the light around 13 (50%) and I don't read in the dark, so it's not b/c I have the light too high. Since the screen is the only reason I want the voyage, it needs to be good. I don't use the haptic buttons at all and I hate that they put the power button in the back.

Was there a big problem having the power button at the bottom? I've turned it on accidentally like twice in 3 years. It's a more natural motion to press the button when it's at the top or bottom. The button in the back is harder to locate, and when pressing it I'm wary I'm going to flex the screen and break it. Wish I could turn it on by the haptic buttons.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I keep my Voyage in a case now so the location of the power button no longer matters to me but I use to leave it out of the case and then I was glad the button was on the back. It takes no thought or fumbling like I had to do with my Paperwhite to locate the button and press it. That Paperwhite button design was pretty poor in my opinion.

I don't see any gradient on my Voyage. I can't say whether that's because of my eyes or because of my Voyage. Many decades ago I worked in a hardware store and when they needed someone to match a color they always came to me. I had a good eye for color. So I suspect it's my Voyage.

I don't think anyone really knows the reason for the gradient. A lot of people think it's the viewer. A lot of people think it's the device. Maybe it's both. What I think is nobody knows. Everybody's guessing. I do know that it was a big problem with early Voyages and it seemed to become less a problem over time. Maybe they improved the light. Maybe people just got used to it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think most if not all Voyages have the gradient to some degree. I was fortunate to find one I am very happy with after returning two before that. Some people aren't as sensitive to color variation or don't even see it. I noticed a slight variation on my current Voyage initially and though it is still there if I look for it, I really don't notice it any longer. I tried the new Oasis and they have a color shift also but it is from side to side instead of top to bottom because of where the LEDs are placed and that bothered me more plus the shadows on the side from the lights. I also think the Voyage has better contrast because of the glass screen and it is my favorite Kindle to date. I would try an exchange and see if you can't get one that you are happy with.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote