Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Read something else.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You guys are funny.

I recommend taking Harry Potter off your reader. Then, try reading Dresden Files or some other Fantasy. As another mentioned, chances are you are intimidated in trying other books. It's ok.. Harry will still be there in the future.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #18
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I sympathize. I have hundreds of books, but there are only a few that have that special magical spark, LOTR and Harry Potter and Narnia are the main books I revisit over and over again.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Hard to find good books. His Dark Materials by Pullman is good.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #20
History
Enthusiast
History began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for your input,

I am old (for a HP reader - nearly 40) male. With English is a second language (start learning quite late 20+), my reading speed is quite slow. I do read (and enjoy) other books, but my reading slow down a lot more because of Harry Potter (I kept put other books on hold while took a "huge" look at Harry Potter).

I will put the paper copy of my Harry Potter in a box (right now it is in the most dominant place in the book shelf). I will delete them from my e-readers (not sure it is much of use since putting them back take only a minute) - may be edit the books and replace every "Harry" with "STOP-NOW".
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #21
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
So why not read something in your own language to get over HP? You can find a translated series (fantasy for example, if you like that, and Im guessing you do because HP)...say His Dark Materials series. Start with translations and if they catch you continue in English.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I would think that reading something in an entirely different genre would make more sense than reading another fantasy, which might suffer by comparison.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
How old are you History? I'm thinking young. Look, reading (fiction books) is supposed to be an enjoyment. Now, if you're having fun doing what you're doing why stop? When you get tired of it, you'll stop on your own.
When you really wish to read something else from your tbr list you will. Until then stop beating yourself about it.
An excellent post. There's nothing wrong with re-reading favourite books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would think that reading something in an entirely different genre would make more sense than reading another fantasy, which might suffer by comparison.
Speaking as a reader of fantasy, I have never experienced that. Perhaps nonfiction is more prone to that? (on account of you are all trying to get some sort of deep philosophical meaning out of everything. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #25
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Reading one book doesn't lessen the other. Not in my experience.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Have you ever heard about Harry Potter fanfiction? Start here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3401052/1/A-Black-Comedy

And here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163261

Yes, I am evil =)

Last edited by GERGE; 03-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #27
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
History-

I'm the same way, I've read HP over 10 times each. I do read other books in between, but HP is my old go to when I'm in a reading funk. Also if you try fan fiction like Gerge says, I'd recommend Cassandra Clare's Draco Trilogy. It takes place after HPGoF. Excellent trilogy in the Draco POV.
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Have you ever heard about Harry Potter fanfiction? Start here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3401052/1/A-Black-Comedy

And here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163261

Yes, I am evil =)
That's how I got started on HP Fan fics. I'd read them in betwen releases of the books in Canon to get my fix of HP. Some of them are pretty good. There are even multi story trilogies in the HP universe.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #29
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Since FF has been mentioned, you could read the James Potter series too. At least that would give you more books to read before starting over. Maybe HP and the Methods of Rationality as well.

I know until I got my e-reader most of my reading was actually re-reading. Lots of Forgotten Realms and Eddings and Pern and Tom Clancy and Earthsea and ... Over and over again.

I still re-read but have found so many more good books to add to my re-read list that I try not to do it too much.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
And there are plenty of classics here at MR to choose from as well. More than a person could read in a solid year of reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addiction, advice, harry potter, suggestion