Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
omelj
omelj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Wink I'm looking for someone willing to brick their kindle

Hi.

Recently, i've modified /etc/upstart/shutdown.conf

It's basically, small change that prevents kindle from shutting down in $SHUTDOWN_MODE_CUST_SERVICE. (Your kindle needs repair screen)

I'm trying to prevent that shutdown, thus giving owner unlimited time to fix issues, instead of < 30 second time window.

That's why, i'm asking for volunteers, willing to try it out (My changes *may NOT* work, leaving you with bricked kindle, if you can't fix it by other means).

Changed version here: hxxp://pastebin.com/DhQmCtVd
omelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Does it work on your PW2 ?
- - - -
Doesn't the "Cowards Rescue Pack (add-on)" avoid the "repair needed" state already?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232507
- - - -
PS: Pastebin uses the http scheme not the hxxp scheme.

Last edited by knc1; 04-10-2014 at 02:47 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
omelj

Quote:
Does it work on your PW2 ?
I don't have means for "unbricking" my kindle, if this idea fails, that's why i'm looking for volunteers. :P

(When tested with restart feature in settings menu, first "tap" gets blocked correctly, but second restarts the device - thus i'm unsure, if something similar doesn't occur when ui fails to start too many times)
Quote:
Doesn't the "Cowards Rescue Pack (add-on)" avoid the "repair needed" state already?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232507
Possible, but using this way, you can troubleshoot your kindle without having it connected to usb. :P (I didn't really see that thread before... oh well)

Nevertheless, this could be another interesting way, for making kindle harder to brick.

Quote:
PS: Pastebin uses the http scheme not the hxxp scheme.
I know.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelj View Post
I don't have means for "unbricking" my kindle, if this idea fails, that's why i'm looking for volunteers. :P
Its your idea, why not you waste a kindle to test it?

Just connect to the console serial port and learn how to de-brick it starting with u-boot/bis.
You can make the backup images you will be needing while your learning.

Or, pick a Kindle model that uses upstart and is easy to de-brick.
Used ones are widely available.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
omelj

Quote:
Its your idea, why not you waste a kindle to test it?

Just connect to the console serial port and learn how to de-brick it starting with u-boot/bis.
You can make the backup images you will be needing while your learning.
Obviously, i was looking for people with serial console access. <.<

Either way, although first idea could be argued about as being useless.
I've coded something else. With slight changes, it's possible to use that script for booting kindle in diags mode instead of showing "needs repair screen".

Which, imo is much nicer than having to unplug kindle every time I want to reboot it.

hxxp://pastebin.com/See3eSGm

Last edited by omelj; 04-11-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Advert