Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
san3
san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.

Device: PW2
Unhappy Solved: yet another -semi- brick

Sorry for bothering you

last night while playing with my new paperwhite2, trying to port software for it i messed it up - somehow(it was quite late ).

I have access to the serial console and the system boots fine but it reboots itself after ca 30 seconds: it looks like my mesquite became messed up somehow
Code:
info mesquite:read_in_counters:REBOOTS=2, REBOOT_LIMIT=2, RESTARTS=5, RESTART_LIMIT=5:
info monitor:writing_file:file=/var/local/upstart/mesquite.restarts:crit mesquite:shutdown::
Do you know how to interfere with mesquite trying to start, or cancel the reboot process that follows ?

As a last resort, i have a backup of the first two partitions

Regards and many thanks in advance,
san

Last edited by san3; 12-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
san3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Time to use your backup of the first partition.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@san3: Provided you fixed the original cause of the issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Code:
#!/bin/sh

rm -f /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
rm -f /var/run/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts

# Hell, might need this too...
rm -f /var/local/upstart/x.restarts
rm -f /var/run/upstart/x.restarts

# Hai, PW2!
rm -f /var/local/upstart/mesquite.restarts
rm -f /var/run/upstart/mesquite.restarts
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
san3
san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.

Thanks for your advice! sadly I was not able to fix the original issue yet - 15 seconds each time is quite frustrating.

Instead I reverted to flash my backup.
At the moment I am stuck at enabling ssh on my diags partition (to flash mmcblk0p1.img)

I have the notion that neither ixtabs pack nor one of the ssh enabled diags partitions might work for my pw2

Do you have any other idea how to get a shell (with dd) that does not reboot after 15 secs?

EDIT: ah ok found out just quit the shell hmm ...

Last edited by san3; 12-15-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: clearing up
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not familiar enough with upstart, but there might be a way to tell it to just stop whatever it is it's trying to do? (Any Ubuntu wizards around? ).

Possibly a telinit 1?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-15-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
san3

Done Everything runs fine again.

Just to sum up short:

Spoiler:

Serial connection to the paperwhite using rs232to usb converter (type PL2303)
Baud Rate 115000

Interrupt startup and enter uboot

uboot > "printenv"
[...]
bootcmd=bootm 0x41000
bootcmd_diags=run bootargs_diags ; bootm 0xE41000

Boot into diags partition with:
"bist"
"run bootargs_diags ; bootm 0xE41000"

Select USB mode, copy mmcblk0p1 bin image to kindle
Quit menu Exit to login prompt, login as root

"dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K"

reboot
remove all the logs:
"rm -f /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
rm -f /var/run/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
rm -f /var/local/upstart/x.restarts
rm -f /var/run/upstart/x.restarts
rm -f /var/local/upstart/mesquite.restarts
rm -f /var/run/upstart/mesquite.restarts"

Done

for being with me today ...
Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Right, you were over serial, thus not locked to main .

Yay!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
alexgen82
alexgen82 began at the beginning.

Hi guys.
Help with this problem. I connected to the book with the help of COM, something clicked in the recovery menu and now only see:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:
CHS=4/16/43712 size=1432354816 bytes
flag type first last lba first lba size
Partition p1:
0x00 0x0b 16 <large> 16 2797552
CHS: 0/1/1 - <large>
Partition p2:
Partition p3:
Partition p4:
[ 5.519327] FAT-fs (loop1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
BOOTING DEFAULT.
IP-Config: no devices to configure
kinit: Unable to mount root fs on device dev(179,1)
kinit: init not found!
alexgen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgen82 View Post
Hi guys.
Help with this problem. I connected to the book with the help of COM, something clicked in the recovery menu and now only see:
- - - -
Details, details, details!!!!
We can't see over your shoulder.

= = = = =

What is the meaning of this:
Quote:
I connected to the book with the help of COM
??

What is the meaning of this:
Quote:
something clicked in the recovery menu
??

The contents of the flash chip don't "just disappear" - -
You must be doing things (a lot of things) that you have not mentioned.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
alexgen82

I have connected to a serial port of my PW2 with USB-TTL converter. I got into the recovery menu:
Menu
====
3. Load MMC0 over USB storage
4. Erase MMC0
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit
Choose: 1 -
Menu timeout

I think I run "Erase MMC0"...
Now starting stop in these strings:

Menu timeout
[ 16.571045] FAT-fs (loop1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
BOOTING DEFAULT.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have connected to a serial port of my PW2 with USB-TTL converter. I got into the recovery menu:
Menu
====
3. Load MMC0 over USB storage
4. Erase MMC0
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit
Choose: 1 -
Menu timeout

I think I run "Erase MMC0"...
Now starting stop in these strings:

Menu timeout
[ 16.571045] FAT-fs (loop1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
BOOTING DEFAULT.
Ah, another one of those: "I wonder what erase all does?" people.
Guess what, it erases all (and then re-installs u-boot from the copy running in memory).

You need to re-install both of the systems (main and diags).
Old 11-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
alexgen82

Please tell me how to do it?
Old 11-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Please tell me how to do it?
Read about how to install images in the 'manual' de-bricking threads.
This (user blanked) Kindle is the same as a bricked device.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
alexgen82

I could not find detailed instructions unfortunately. Do not take the trouble to help me with finding repair manual please.