Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
tripwire1802
tripwire1802 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Which one to get

Hi
Please can someone help me?
I would like to be an ereader but have absolutely no idea which one to buy.
I am looking for a cheaper version if possible, but the main problem is that i have a large number of ebooks already on my laptop, and if i get an ereader i would like to be able to transfer them onto it so that i can read them on there. A lot of the reviews i have read for various ereaders say you can only read books on them purchased from their own websites - does anyone know which ereaders (or makes of ereader) can be used to put your own ebooks on as well please?
Thank you in advance for your help
tripwire1802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can put your own books on ANY reader. You may need to change them to a different format first, but that's very easy to do.

Personally I like Amazon's range of readers (the various models of Kindle); they are good value for money, Amazon have a great bookstore, and unparalleled customer service. But I'm sure you'd be happy with any of the major readers - Kindle, nook, Kobo, etc. They're all good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
hazlit
hazlit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Reviews are a big help

trip I'm new to ereading too but I found that googling the reviews on the different brands was the best help to me.

Across the board it seems that kindle is the most recommended and Amazon have the largest collection of books. Kobo seems to run second to kindle in the size of their ebook collection, but as HarryT says, you can convert the books to a format compatible with your reader, so that's not really a problem.

I ended up with a Kobo Touch due to it's affordable price and because it has a touch screen. Also it was available locally thru a major store (I always buy electronic equipment this way rather than online so that any service/warranty issues can be cleared up quickly, without freight costs). File conversion via free Adobe Digital Reader is a plus, and the Touch had GLOWING reviews... which, as reviews go, is a bit of a rarity, so I felt confident that this ereader would do for me. The Kobo Glo was another possibility but it had terrible reviews so I sacrificed the luxury of an illuminated screen for something more reliable.

I'd highly recommend you browse reviews on the different brands-models to find what suits your requirements
hazlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think tripwire needs to be a bit more picky about the features of a new book reader, pretty much all of them can do what trip wants them to do. Do you need a book light on your reader? Do you want to be able to walk into a store and store and get technical support (Try doing that with a kindle or a Kobo)? Would you settle for on-line customer service (amazon has great tech support but its online only). Do you absolutely need to have a keyboard on your reader versus a touch screen model?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
I have 4 Kindles and 1 Nook Simple Touch. For many reasons, I would advise you to buy a Kindle, but stay away from the lit screen models, no matter the Kindle Paper white or the Nook Glow light. I like my Nook simple Touch, but the Kindle http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCNJU/ref=sa_menu_kdptq3 would be my #1 choice today. Very simple, resourceful, light weighted, good hardware, and a real bargain $ 69.00. Amazon has a huge variety of books at a very low prices; their support team is absolutely efficient and kind. You'll get happy with the device and Amazon's eco system, spending just a modest amount. Buy a good clip-on light if you really need it. I hope I have helped you to make a decision. Good luck!

Last edited by fcm52; 12-16-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Low case correction
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcm52 View Post
I have 4 Kindles and 1 Nook Simple Touch. For many reasons, I would advise you to buy a Kindle, but stay away from the lit screen models, no matter the Kindle Paper white or the Nook Glow light. I like my Nook simple Touch
I must respectfully disagree; the Kindle Paperwhite is the best reader I've ever owned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire1802 View Post
I am looking for a cheaper version if possible, but the main problem is that i have a large number of ebooks already on my laptop, and if i get an ereader i would like to be able to transfer them onto it so that i can read them on there.
In which format are they?

And, welcome to the forum!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must respectfully disagree; the Kindle Paperwhite is the best reader I've ever owned.
Well Harry, I was really impressed when Amazon launched this model some months ago, however a friend of mine bought one and left it with me for a test. I found the device exceptionally well designed and very good in many aspects, like the resolution for example, but the screen...that four spouts at the bottom really bothered me; moreover, there are many people complaining about colored blotches on the middle of the screen. I particularly prefer the non lit screen models. When the circumstances demand a more resourceful device, I use my tablet.
But this is just a matter of preference, because I have a great respect for your opinions wich already helped me on many occasions.
Thanks and take care.

Last edited by fcm52; 12-16-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Just a mistyping correction.
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote