Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Epub to mobi problem with dashes

I'm converting a number of my epubs to mobi for my new Kindle using Calibre, ver. 0.8.6.

After the conversion, the dashes (en- or em- dashes, not sure) in the epub come out as squares in the mobi version. I've checked off "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII" which has worked in the past -- but this only results in question marks appearing in brackets instead of the square [?] for the dashes.

It's a commercial epub I purchased and this is the first time it's happened. For all other books, checking the "Transliterate" function solves this problem.

Help!! It's an expensive ebook and I don't want to re-purchase it again -- any solutions? or is this a known bug with Calibre?

Thank you in advance!

Mark

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I tried running the same epub-to-epub in Calibre with the "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII" option and the "converted" epub came out with the bracketed question marks substituted for dashes. When I ran it epub-to-epub without this option, the epub was just fine -- bit the problem persists when converting to mobi.

Last edit!!

Well, it turns out the problem was NOT with Calibre but with Amazon's Kindle for PC viewer. When I viewed the converted mobi (with no Transliterate option), through Calibre's viewer, all the dashes were in their place and no squares. And when I transferred the file to my Kindle, also no problem. All is well.

For those having similar issues, check your conversions out with Calibre's viewer to see if they go away. I learned a valuable lesson...hopefully someone else will benefit from my experience.

Bless you, Calibre!! (donation on the way

Last edited by markpearl; 06-23-2011 at 12:50 PM.
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote