Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #46
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
When I try to give the checkout girl/boy the right change from my wallet, so shehe only have to give me notes back...

They can't count, so say 'no, thank you'... Sometimes I get a win, when I tell them what I need back....

Why aren't these people taught to count?
Calculators. Any math that can't be done on one's fingers is beyond kids these days.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #47
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Calculators. Any math that can't be done on one's fingers is beyond kids these days.
Calculators, like this?

Last edited by desertblues; 02-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #48
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Why aren't these people taught to count?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Calculators and games like electronic monopoly !! Half the fun of the game was counting the money, and while it was only a game I did learn the basics of budgeting and making purchases from it. Now you get a swipe card that kids already think is magic, my son has, on a number of occasions, said we could by something by "just using the card", he's only eight so we're still working on the concept of the money behind it. But the point is, that now they are making board games for lazy people!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #49
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
On the other hand, electronic monopoly removes the biggest source of cheating in the game -- the human banker.

I never understood why nobody else wanted to be the banker when playing monopoly as a kid. I'd always take the job and slip myself 100s while paying out other players. Real bankers get paid, so is it really cheating if the monopoly banker skims a little off the top for himself?
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #50
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I hate when people wait for my parking spot when there's plenty of places to park.
I hate the ones who wait for that parking place that's 20 feet closer to the door, and hold up traffic for a half a dozen other people. Of course they have to wait right in the middle of the aisle so no one can get by in either direction.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #51
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
People who pull into handicapped spaces because 'they're just waiting for someone to come out of the store' or 'just gonna be a minute' or just don't give a damn.

Inconsiderate bastiids.

As well as those who abuse the privilege of the handicapped stickers. Like the ones who drive their relatives car (without the relatives) and use the sticker.
Susie is wheelchair bound, and we bought a ramp van for her; but of course with a side opening ramp, she needs about seven or eight feet to have room to deploy the ramp and have enough room to maneuver her chair off the end of it.

The ADA has provided for that by requiring handicapped parking places to have access aisles next to them; until some bastard parks in it. The worst I’ve seen was when the shopping center rent a cop parked his golf cart there, and she had to wait for nearly an hour for him to come back and move his cart.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I viewed it as the responsibility of all the players to watch thebanker. We had a house rule that if you caught the banker stealing they lost all of their money. There was plenty of cheating but when you were caught you were screwed.

OK, new pet peeve. I hate driving behind a car with a smoker. If you want to smoke, that is your business. Roll up your window and inhale your own fumes. Do not stick your cigarette out the window and punish me with your nasty smelling smoke. Do not flick your ashes out the window. Do not toss your butt out the window. If is your habit. You can ejoy the fumes, the ash, and the butts. Don't inflict that on those of us who don't smoke and want nothing to do with the habit or its by products.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
THIS THIS THIS!!! Especially the second one. The worst I saw of this was this shiny new BMW pulling into the parking lot (which was pretty empty), up goes the tag, and out of the car comes a girl in her twenties that looked perfectly healthy. My guess was she was the daughter of a doctor.
When I see something like that, my suspicions are aroused as well, but I try not to judge them because there are many people with life threatening ailments who look perfectly healthy outwardly. There's no way to tell by looking who has a serious cardiac, seizure, sudden fainting or other serious disorder.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #54
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
When I see something like that, my suspicions are aroused as well, but I try not to judge them because there are many people with life threatening ailments who look perfectly healthy outwardly. There's no way to tell by looking who has a serious cardiac, seizure, sudden fainting or other serious disorder.
That is true, but at least my professional footballer anecdote couldn't fall foul of that.

Besides, there's a very easy answer to this issue. Simply place all the handicapped parking spaces as far away from the entrance to the shop as possible - et voila, problem solved
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #55
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
That is true, but at least my professional footballer anecdote couldn't fall foul of that.

Besides, there's a very easy answer to this issue. Simply place all the handicapped parking spaces as far away from the entrance to the shop as possible - et voila, problem solved

One of the criteria for legitimately getting a handicapped placard is to not be able to walk more than 200 feet without stopping to rest. Are you saying that someone would have to stop and rest multiple times just to get to the entrance?

Or maybe handicapped people should just not be allowed to go shopping, yeah that'd solve it!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #56
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
One of the criteria for legitimately getting a handicapped placard is to not be able to walk more than 200 feet without stopping to rest. Are you saying that someone would have to stop and rest multiple times just to get to the entrance?

Or maybe handicapped people should just not be allowed to go shopping, yeah that'd solve it!
I take it that you didn't get that sense of humour you asked for for Christmas then?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #57
wodin
Illiterate

Sorry Bilbo, but as a caregiver to someone who is wheelchair bound I see nothing funny about people's disabilities.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #58
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Sorry Bilbo, but as a caregiver to someone who is wheelchair bound I see nothing funny about people's disabilities.
My apologies if you read it that way. Clearly, though, it was not a joke at the expense of anybody's disability.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #59
wodin
Illiterate

Thank you! apology accepted.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #60
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I am VERY healthy looking, but also am still having huge post operative issues with my knee and the torn muscle/fractured femur in my thigh. I have the "red" (temporary) tag. I don't use it all the time, but some days are particularly bad and I really need it then. I get some very dirty looks. what can you do?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote