Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Flash on page turn

My Kindle 3 arrived earlier this week, and I'm very happy with it. When my wife saw it, she was impressed, until she came to change page, and the display flashed (for want of a better term). She really didn't like it, and won't have an e-reader that does that.

Am I right in thinking that this is an e-ink thing, or is it unique to the Kindle? I'm going on holiday with several people tonight, and at least one of them is thinking about buying an e-book reader. If it bothers them, I'd like to know whether it only happens with the Kindle.

Russ
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Flash is an e-ink think.

It disturbs at first, but most peaple don't see it anymore after a little while

The cybook can deactivitate it, but at the cost of leaving "residue". So pages are less clean.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sorry, but that's just the way eInk displays work. Since they "remember" they must be cleared to display new information.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Once you get reading, it's a feature that your brain will tend to ignore in much the same way as turning the page of a book used to distract.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
After a month, I still notice it, but it's not really annoying unless you go back a page (which at least on my K3, takes probably twice as long. And sometimes you have to hit the button twice).

Sort of like static on an AM radio station (which er, probably doesn't mean anything to you since you're in the UK...)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
we know static on am radio ! why should we not
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Sort of like static on an AM radio station (which er, probably doesn't mean anything to you since you're in the UK...)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
My Kindle 3 arrived earlier this week, and I'm very happy with it. When my wife saw it, she was impressed, until she came to change page, and the display flashed (for want of a better term). She really didn't like it, and won't have an e-reader that does that.

Am I right in thinking that this is an e-ink thing, or is it unique to the Kindle? I'm going on holiday with several people tonight, and at least one of them is thinking about buying an e-book reader. If it bothers them, I'd like to know whether it only happens with the Kindle.

Russ
Reminds me of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Well I'm flashing my Kindle on the way to work everyday. So far I haven't seen an enormous surge in readers on the train. Perhaps I need to get a bigger one so it's more visible
Ok, I just got this image of a Kindle wearing nothing but a raincoat and a leer on its screen. Thanks for THAT visual.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-01-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
My wife also noticed it but doesn't mind - she takes it "on the chin" well, accepting it as a normal part of eInk. Right now the only thing she's upset about is the woeful formatting quality of a book that she bought.... great start :\
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sorry, but that's just the way eInk displays work. Since they "remember" they must be cleared to display new information.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense, now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Once you get reading, it's a feature that your brain will tend to ignore in much the same way as turning the page of a book used to distract.
It doesn't bother me at all, but Jen (my wife) says it would bother her too much, so I don't think she'll be getting an e-reader any time soon. At least she won't be borrowing mine

Mainly I wanted to know if it was something that all e-ink displays did.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
My wife also noticed it but doesn't mind - she takes it "on the chin" well, accepting it as a normal part of eInk. Right now the only thing she's upset about is the woeful formatting quality of a book that she bought.... great start :\
Just as long as it's not her book that's badly formatted
Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Just as long as it's not her book that's badly formatted
Thankfully not. It was a book she bought off Smashwords ($4.99, 60,000+ words).

We'd been receiving notes in reviews of the ebook version of "Tree of life" regarding the good formatting, which we thought was a bit interesting; now we understand why.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
i may be wrong, but from what i heard sipix displays can flash "through" white so the flash could be less noticable and bothering... e-ink as far as i know flash through black, thus page change is more visible and could be annoying for some...
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
DiamondDave
Enthusiast
DiamondDave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
They have it too, but they call it a "lorry" or a "lift" or a "flat" or "crisps" or some other word that doesn't make any sense. Thank goodness we Yanks rescued the English language from these heathens!

I kid, I kid...
DiamondDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
LCD screens do not have the flash on page turns

The ECTACO jetBook / jetBook Lite and Aluratek Libre Pro readers use LCD screens and do not display the flash on page turns. These LCDs, unlike regular computer and phone screens, are *not* backlit and are very easy on the eyes. If you get a chance to see one of these readers "in real life" to compare with the Kindle and other e-ink readers you may find you like it better, or not. A matter of personal preference. Me, I like all gadgets and accept their pros and cons - they are what they are.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote