Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
Pet peeves?

I read this discussion on the phrase "begging the question" where Toddos explained the real meaning of it.
Now, I'm a bit offended, because not only did I understand the term incorrectly, but I'm also a journalist.

Of course, I'm a Danish one of the sort, doing journalism in Danish, so I guess that's some sort of comfort

Here's one of his posts:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=40

Anyway, journalists and writers usually don't know how to handle numbers. They often get it wrong, and can't do the most simple thing. I often have to help colleagues out in that regard. Getting numbers wrong is something that really, really annoys me as a reader/listener/viewer.

My latest annoyance is a book by Lee Child, called "Bad Luck & Trouble".

The main character is a bloke called Reacher, and throughout the book, Lee Child describes him as someone who not only likes numbers, but are pretty much obsessed by them. At one point, he "automatically" calculates 42 feet in yards, percentage of a mile, inches and centimeters. And the book is littered with that sort of thing.

That alone would be fine, but at least three times in the book, Reacher proclaims that there is a fifty-fifty chance of something happening, because there are two choices. Yes, in a random pull of number, that would be true. But among other things he's using it to describe the chances of two people being behind some murders, and because there are two people who might have done it, apparently there's a fifty-fifty chance.

At another point, there's a "fifty-fifty chance" that someone is at home, because he either is "at home or at work".

By the same token, there's a fifty-fifty chance evolution is wrong and creationism is right. Or a fifty-fifty chance that I'll marry Christy Turlington, or a fifty-fifty chance I'm dead tomorrow.

Anyway, what are some of your pet peeves?

Last edited by AGB; 12-09-2010 at 04:44 PM.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
One of my biggest pet peeves is when it's -30 degrees outside and everyone you run into that day says "Cold enough for ya?"

I have a lot more.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
I have the same thing, but only in summer when people go "Hot enough for ya?"

Or when pure amateurs (shop assistants) think they know all there is to know, but they know absolutely nothing. Then, after having asked a couple of very specific questions, they then try to act arrogant and try to teach me about, say, audio or even basic stuff about HDDs or other computer hardware (I'm a journalist by trade but work with audio production on a daily basis these days).

There's a reason I usually shop on the internet these days: You can look stuff up instantlyinstead of asking them "how fast is the rpm? How big a buffer does it have? How many platters is inside it?", and you don't have to deal with idiotic retailers.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I totally agree. I try not to ask for anything in any store. They either don't know, or pretend that they do and fail miserably.

Most of my other pet peeves are with drivers. Like slowpokes in the left lane. Not using signals. Driving too close. I could go on forever...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Running out of staples! I have no idea why - but when I'm using a stapler and I'm suddenly clicking away on empty I just lose it!
Maybe something primordial? I really want to smash it.
Then I refill the dang thing and calmly continue.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I hate purchasing a DVD brand new and the dang thing has scratches or finger prints on it.

I also have a hard time putting up with people who do not use their turn signals.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I hate when people wait for my parking spot when there's plenty of places to park. Or when I park far far away from other cars and someone still parks right next to mine. Or like the other night, I was at an outdoor shopping center that has giant sidewalks, but these three girls decided that the road going through the middle of the center was a better place to walk despite the sidewalk five feet away.

Or the guy at my work who says "ideals" instead of "ideas." Or whistling. Or people who are having bad days and take it out on everyone. Or lazy people.

I have lots more...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Running out of staples! I have no idea why - but when I'm using a stapler and I'm suddenly clicking away on empty I just lose it!
Maybe something primordial? I really want to smash it.
Then I refill the dang thing and calmly continue.
I love staples and finishing a set. I actually dated my newest box to see when I run out.

<---weird
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I love staples and finishing a set. I actually dated my newest box to see when I run out.

<---weird

definitely not of the norm!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGB View Post
I read this discussion on the phrase "begging the question" where Toddos explained the real meaning of it.
Now, I'm a bit offended, because not only did I understand the term incorrectly, but I'm also a journalist.

Of course, I'm a Danish one of the sort, doing journalism in Danish, so I guess that's some sort of comfort

Here's one of his posts:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=40

Anyway, journalists and writers usually don't know how to handle numbers. They often get it wrong, and can't do the most simple thing. I often have to help colleagues out in that regard. Getting numbers wrong is something that really, really annoys me as a reader/listener/viewer.

My latest annoyance is a book by Lee Child, called "Bad Luck & Trouble".

The main character is a bloke called Reacher, and throughout the book, Lee Child describes him as someone who not only likes numbers, but are pretty much obsessed by them. At one point, he "automatically" calculates 42 feet in yards, percentage of a mile, inches and centimeters. And the book is littered with that sort of thing.

That alone would be fine, but at least three times in the book, Reacher proclaims that there is a fifty-fifty chance of something happening, because there are two choices. Yes, in a random pull of number, that would be true. But among other things he's using it to describe the chances of two people being behind some murders, and because there are two people who might have done it, apparently there's a fifty-fifty chance.

At another point, there's a "fifty-fifty chance" that someone is at home, because he either is "at home or at work".

By the same token, there's a fifty-fifty chance evolution is wrong and creationism is right. Or a fifty-fifty chance that I'll marry Christy Turlington, or a fifty-fifty chance I'm dead tomorrow.

Anyway, what are some of your pet peeves?
singling someone out that is not involved in a discussion and able to speak up for themselves. c'mon seriously?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
People who pull into handicapped spaces because 'they're just waiting for someone to come out of the store' or 'just gonna be a minute' or just don't give a damn.

Inconsiderate bastiids.

As well as those who abuse the privilege of the handicapped stickers. Like the ones who drive their relatives car (without the relatives) and use the sticker.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
People who pull into handicapped spaces because 'they're just waiting for someone to come out of the store' or 'just gonna be a minute' or just don't give a damn.

Inconsiderate bastiids.

As well as those who abuse the privilege of the handicapped stickers. Like the ones who drive their relatives car (without the relatives) and use the sticker.
Agreed!

Also, people that stop in the middle of the aisle at a grocery/department store so nobody can pass them while they take their sweet time looking at the items on the shelves.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Agreed!

Also, people that stop in the middle of the aisle at a grocery/department store so nobody can pass them while they take their sweet time looking at the items on the shelves.
And the ones at Costco and Sams who glom onto the "sampling" centers, blocking aisles in 4 directions!

Good God people, eat before you shop!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
And the ones at Costco and Sams who glom onto the "sampling" centers, blocking aisles in 4 directions!

Good God people, eat before you shop!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I hate when people wait for my parking spot when there's plenty of places to park.
Or worse, people that just camp out near the front of the lot, blocking traffic, hoping someone will come out and leave. People do this all the time at my local CostCo. More than once, I've parked way in the back, walked all the way up to the store noticing one or two of these campers, proceeded to do my shopping, pay, and leave. As I walk back to my car the same camper is still sitting there, still hoping that someone will leave so she can get a spot right in front. Had she parked in a farther away but available spot, she would've already finished her shopping and been on her way home.

And AGB, no offense intended from the other thread

Last edited by toddos; 12-09-2010 at 08:38 PM.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote