Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
macharya
macharya began at the beginning.

Device: PB 360
New Owner

Hi ,

seeing the great number of reviews and help provided in this forum , i decided to buy the PB360(will get it this week).. and reading through the comments here also downloaded Adobe Digital editions(for my library ebbok program) and Calibre..just one question , is it possible to use google books or is that in a different unsupported format? noob here so be gentle ;-)
macharya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by macharya View Post
Hi ,

seeing the great number of reviews and help provided in this forum , i decided to buy the PB360(will get it this week).. and reading through the comments here also downloaded Adobe Digital editions(for my library ebbok program) and Calibre..just one question , is it possible to use google books or is that in a different unsupported format? noob here so be gentle ;-)
Google Books are in different formats all supported by MM. I recommend PDFs, cause most of the scanned books are not proven. U a member of the MM club yet?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Well the 360 supports a LOT of formats. But it really depends on what format Google Books is in. Since I haven't used Google Books I don't know what that format is. But the results of a quick search seems to be that EPUB is one of the formats supported by Google Books. Which of course the 360 supports.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
macharya

Thanks ... btw, what is MM club? also, would pdf's work ? i thought epub would be better than pdf's on smaller screens.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Thanks ... btw, what is MM club? also, would pdf's work ? i thought epub would be better than pdf's on smaller screens.
Not necessarily. Most Google books are in a smaller format and therefore work quite well on your reader, especially in landscape view.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
The MM club is the club for the owners of a Mighty Mouse, a nickname that mtravellerh assigned to the small Pocketbook 360. Small as a mouse, mighty as a conditional phrase, which might be true or not .

PDF's do work with certain constrictions, based mainly on the fact that most PDF's are meant to be printed in 11'' paper sheets, not read in a reader about 4 times as small. EPub is a good choice for the Pocketbook 360 too. And don't forget to look for the incredible modified reading software (FBReader by GrayNM). It will allow you to turn every non-DRM book into a lovely reading experience, as you can adjust everything, including things like removing the flash for each page turn, turning pages with no buttons and, as well, turning them automatically every certain time, aside of configuring margins, hyphenation, lots of font sizes...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
macharya

Thanks to everyone for their replies.. i will try the PDF;s also to see how they look. also , i will try the FBReader by GrayNM(did some reading on it and looks like its awesome) . will post my experiences once i have my PB360 in my hand and get to play with it for a while..
Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
PDF is my prefered (and as-good-as-only-read) format i use on the pb (360 as 302). The page turning is bit slower as in epub (but only a bit, in fact, it doesnt matter!). The Reflow of PDFs is working in the very most cases. The size of the font isnt too small for me (most time even without any zoomoption).
What you dont have in PDFs is, the customising of the font for yourself and the size of the font. But for the size there are pretty much zoom options
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
macharya

Thanks for the tips.. received my 360 yesterday and put the FBreader by GrayNM . downloaded some books from Gutenberg and google books and from my local library.. everything works .. so i'm good.. now just tinkering around with the setting in FBReader ;-)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Macharya: If you want to compare PDF and ePub side-by-side in your new device, pop into my site (below) and pick a book that's available in both formats (we're in the throes of converting all titles to ePub, but have only a dozen or so done and dusted so far), then drop me a line on ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course) and I'll send the book to you in both formats with our compliments. It'll be interesting to hear how they compare on the 360. Good to have your company, by the way. Hope you get as much of a kick out of MR as I do. Happy reading. Neil

PS: If anyone else in this thread wants to try this experiment, please just email me and I'll send two versions of the same title to you. Best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
macharya

Hi NeilMarr, Thanks..just sent an email to you.. the 360 is a nice device and i just got the fbreader from GrayNM and wow.. that makes a huge difference..Will let you know how they compare on the 360 once i receive them

Thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya, Macharya: Glad to hear you're happy with your new 360. I'll look out for your email. I'm working out in the sun on a wee netbook right now (ideal for proof reading, folks), so it means hobbling back indoors to my PC. With you very soon. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
macharya

Hi Neil, Thanks for the books.. started the pdf one first(not completed it yet).
My Impressions: It displays perfectly though i zoomed in a little more for my convenience.
I havent yet started the EPub book yet. will start it on the the upcoming long weekend . by then i should have a fair idea , but till now i think the reader is a very good buy!!