Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-09-2023, 02:41 PM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinlodos View Post
I’ve already admitted my fault in forgetfulness that it’s used as a library and document storage platform.
Library management is actually the main purpose of Calibre. So most changes and updates are done with that in mind.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:50 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That generally defeats the purpose of a GUI. With calibre I can use the control key to select multiple files. Right click and chose convert. Chose from the drop down my format. And click ok.

When it’s finished I can right click and choose delete type. Allowing me to (no longer actually) delete a specific format. Drag to a new folder for output. Then (no longer actually) delete the files from the program.

The command line takes much more time and effort. Especially for multiple but not all, files in a folder.

I’ve already admitted my fault in forgetfulness that it’s used as a library and document storage platform.

I reiterate: there should be an option to disable it. I thing less and nothing more.
I suspect that you are in a small minority here. Most people use calibre as a library and document storage tool. We likely have hard drives that are large enough to handle deleting less than 100 megabytes of files without leaving us running low on disk space.

For me, again I like the option. It makes restoring a file a lot easier, takes a minimal amount of space and auto-cleans up in anything from 1 to 99 (or more) days.

How many books do you convert and trash every day? Given that my current library structure contains about 13,000 books, cover images and .opf files in ~13.5GB of space which is about 7% of my disk space, I can't see your calibre installation and libraries chewing up a massive percentage of your disk space.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 04:56 PM   #63
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Just set it to one day then. I doubt Kovid will change it.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:13 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm lazy. I empty my trash perhaps once in 2-3 months, sometimes even less often. Usually it has accumulated 10-50 GB by the time I empty it, but 50 GB still is no more than 5% of my total disk space. 1 TB or larger SSD-s are pretty common these days.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:59 PM   #65
lostinlodos
Enthusiast
lostinlodos began at the beginning.

Device: multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect that you are in a small minority here. Most people use calibre as a library and document storage tool. We likely have hard drives that are large enough to handle deleting less than 100 megabytes of files without leaving us running low on disk space.

For me, again I like the option. It makes restoring a file a lot easier, takes a minimal amount of space and auto-cleans up in anything from 1 to 99 (or more) days.

How many books do you convert and trash every day? Given that my current library structure contains about 13,000 books, cover images and .opf files in ~13.5GB of space which is about 7% of my disk space, I can't see your calibre installation and libraries chewing up a massive percentage of your disk space.

I believe the difference is in the book types we use. I have technical books fills with schematics that are over a gigabyte. Each.

But that’s not the point. How about a real world comparison. When you finish dinner you put the waste in the sink, not the trash. That’s exactly what moving books to another folder is.
It’s a matter of preference.

As for document management;
Maybe not directly, but definitely publicly: Calibre was originally marketed as Calibre ebook converter.
That’s the title when looking it up on multiple free-software sites to this day.

Calibre, being extensible, has the widest selection of input and output formats for a GUI converter. For many, I’m clearly not alone, the converter is the primary use.

In my case, I use it over eCanCrusher for one reason. The software is easy and capable of creating ePubs using my chosen dedicated font, over ride other font and display functions, and download my news feeds directly to ePub files using my default formatting choices.

Last edited by lostinlodos; 06-10-2023 at 11:22 PM.
lostinlodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 11:07 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe the difference is in the book types we use. I have technical books fills with schematics that are over a gigabyte. Each.
What type of technical books with schematics? The few of those that I have are well under 500MB each. Given that Adobe states the file size limit for a compressed PDF is 500MB, I'm wondering what type of technical books are that much larger, what format they are supplied in and, what format you are converting to. 99% of the tech manuals I have are supplied in PDF format especially the ones where you have the equivalent of A0 or A1 paper sizes for the schematics.

Quote:
IBut that’s not the point. How about a real world comparison. When you finish dinner you put the waste in the sink, not the trash. That’s exactly what moving books to another folder is.
It’s a matter of preference.
Actually, I put part of my dinner waste in the organics recycling bucket, non-organic recyclables in a bin and any non-recyclable bits and bobs in a lined trash bucket. Once a week or so, I take the organics recycling bucket out and dump it in the complex organics bin, empty the recyclables bin in the complex recyclable bins and the trash bag goes into the trash dumpster.

Quote:
IAs for document management;
Maybe not directly, but definitely publicly: Calibre was originally marketed as Calibre ebook converter.
That’s the title when looking it up on multiple free-software sites to this day.

Calibre, billing extensible, has the widest selection of input and output formats for a GUI converter. For many, I’m clearly not alone, the converter is the primary use.

In my case, I use it over eCanCrusher for one reason. The software is easy and capable of creating ePubs using my chosen dedicated font, over ride other font and display functions, and download my news feeds directly to ePub files using my default formatting choices.
For me? I remember when calibre was libprs500 and was created as a document manager and converter to LRF format for Sony's PRS-500 ereader. For more information, see calibre's About - History. I've seen it referred to as calibre ebook converter or even misspelled as Calibre ebook converter however Kovid Goyal refers to it as "a comprehensive e-book management tool". That still seems to be the main purpose for the majority of calibre users.

I am wondering why you would refer to eCanCrusher as a conversion tool since the only purpose that it has—that I am aware of—is converting an unpacked ePub directory structure to or from an ePub .zip compressed archive. That hardly qualifies as conversion, IMNSHO.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:14 AM   #67
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Interestingly the “About Calibre” section on calibre-ebook.com has

calibre is a powerful and easy to use e-book manager. Users say it’s outstanding and a must-have. It’ll allow you to do nearly everything and it takes things a step beyond normal e-book software. It’s also completely free and open source and great for both casual users and computer experts.
- Save time on managing your e-book collection
- Use it everywhere and with anything
- Comprehensive e-book viewer
- Download news/magazines from the web
- Share and backup your library easily
- Edit the books in your collection
- Satisfy every e-book need and get support

The ‘conversion’ capability is not even on that list.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:39 PM   #68
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
What type of …

Quote:
What type of technical books with schematics?
We’ll start in the more basic end. Microsoft’s Encyclopædia of Networking comes in at 822MB in ePub.
The Illustrated Guide To Commodore Components is 1.3GB
Multiple game platform A-Z books are over 1GB.
D&D books regularly exceed 500MB. Some well into the Low Gigabyte range.
All of those are ePub, not PDF.
Comic books, art books, etc

Quote:
I've seen it referred to as calibre ebook converter or even misspelled as Calibre ebook converter however Kovid Goyal refers to it as "a comprehensive e-book management tool"
Quote:
The ‘conversion’ capability is not even on that list

Sure. But it’s marketed across the web as a powerful ebook converter.
Many people are going to find it when they type in ebook converter to any of the dozen or so independent search engines.
It may be more, but its general presence on the internet is first and formost as a converter.

I bring up ECC for a good reason. The continued statement use the command line.
Well, that would be great for making an epub. Which then needs extracting to manually modify the HTML to match my visual preferences. Then recompressed, a difficult task for compliance. ECC makes that recompress one step.
It’s a method I use on a rare occasion for over complicated non-drm books that calibre has trouble with.
When all else fails extract, load the HTML files into NeO, make the changes, save, and ECC produces a nice neat file to send to my phone or Boox tablet.
================

As for what Adobe says about pdf sizes, I don’t know what you’re looking at. But I have many well over that size you posted.
Acrobat is quite capable of creating PDF files of cad and cam exports exceeding 10GB.

Finally, times change I guess. Whatever you’re using Calibre for is your choice. For all of us, we use what’s right for us. Calibre has plugins, and is easy to create plugins for, that cover a very wide range of formats.

You choose to use it as a document manager and library.

None of this changes my original point: there’s no technical reason we can’t option it for disable storing deleted files.
For the however many that found calibre through a web search looking for the best converter available… it would be greatly appreciated.
Again, I’m not the only one who said anything.
Old 06-11-2023, 12:35 AM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, that would be great for making an epub. Which then needs extracting to manually modify the HTML to match my visual preferences. Then recompressed, a difficult task for compliance. ECC makes that recompress one step.
It’s a method I use on a rare occasion for over complicated non-drm books that calibre has trouble with.
When all else fails extract, load the HTML files into NeO, make the changes, save, and ECC produces a nice neat file to send to my phone or Boox tablet.
No need for all that. Calibre has an editor where you can edit the epub directly, without any need to extract or compress. I edit my ebooks in the calibre editor all the time (I'm very fussy about formatting).

You can use the editor as a standalone tool.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:01 AM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
We’ll start in the more basic end. Microsoft’s Encyclopædia of Networking comes in at 822MB in ePub.
The Illustrated Guide To Commodore Components is 1.3GB
Multiple game platform A-Z books are over 1GB.
D&D books regularly exceed 500MB. Some well into the Low Gigabyte range.
All of those are ePub, not PDF.
Comic books, art books, etc
The recommendation from Adobe was a few years back. The comment was that most of the early versions of Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat Reader were not happy with PDF files exceeding 500MB. In theory, you could go to 10GB using the 10 bit counters. With later version of the PDF standard and using a 64 bit architecture, you could exceed the 10GB limit but that would result in PDF files that could not be opened by most of the PDF reader software.

As for massive ePub files? Quite a few of even the newest renderers have issues with larger files internal to the epub.

I will admit to some admiration for your desire to keep obsolete information around. The last time I looked at the Microsoft Encyclopedia of Networking was the 2nd edition back in 2002—I might even have the CDROM still around. I have seen an ebook version dated from around 2014 but that was in DJVU format and clocked in at a massive 12MB. From the size you report, I would suspect that your copy is likely a collection of scanned images. Is yours the first edition with Mitch Tulloch as the sole author or the second edition with Mitch and Ingrid Tulloch listed as co-authors. BTW, it sounds very much as if you have a pirated copy of the book since it is still under copyright unless you scanned in your own copy.

Quote:
Sure. But it’s marketed across the web as a powerful ebook converter.
Many people are going to find it when they type in ebook converter to any of the dozen or so independent search engines.
It may be more, but its general presence on the internet is first and formost as a converter.
Marketed by whom? Not Kovid Goyal and he is the originator of calibre and still the main programmer.

Quote:
Well, that would be great for making an ePub. Which then needs extracting to manually modify the HTML to match my visual preferences. Then recompressed, a difficult task for compliance. ECC makes that recompress one step.
Sorry but you and I are going to have to disagree on just what conversion is. Unpacking an ePub file or repacking files into an ePub file is not conversion. I have a batch file that uses 7Zip to either unpack an ePub or repack it with the mimetype file left uncompressed and as the first entry in the .zip structure—I've seen ePubs where both of those requirements were flubbed. I would not call it a converter or editor.

I am wondering about your use for NeO as a html editor. I vaguely remember a co-worker using it as an outliner which she used to organize her information.

As for editing the xhtml files in an ePub, I used Sigil for a lot of versions since a few months after Strahinja Markovic released it in 2009. I've also used the calibre ebook-editor since it's early days. No need to uncompress and recompress the files, it's done in the background. I've fed ePubs into Sigil that had FlightCheck and/or ePubcheck generating multiple pages of error messages and still managed to edit them and correct the errors.

Quote:
Finally, times change I guess. Whatever you’re using Calibre for is your choice. For all of us, we use what’s right for us. Calibre has plugins, and is easy to create plugins for, that cover a very wide range of formats.

You choose to use it as a document manager and library.

None of this changes my original point: there’s no technical reason we can’t option it for disable storing deleted files.
For the however many that found calibre through a web search looking for the best converter available… it would be greatly appreciated.
Again, I’m not the only one who said anything.
Repeating your desire to have calibre's builtin deleted file manager disabled is not likely to do much. If being able to disable it was a desired feature, we would likely be seeing more requests from people who wanted it implemented. Perhaps most people have hard drives that are large enough that having a few gigabytes of deleted files is not a big deal?
Old 06-12-2023, 01:18 PM   #71
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No need for all that. Calibre has an editor where you can edit the epub directly, without any need to extract or compress. I edit my ebooks in the calibre editor all the time (I'm very fussy about formatting).
I think there’s simple a historical preference in my editor choices. NeoOffice has the idea toolbar layout for me. And it, and Microsoft Word, both support near 40 year old keyboard shortcuts.
ThT and over the year I’ve updated and maintained a series of macros that I bound to function keys for one click work.

Quote:
Quite a few of even the newest renderers have issues with larger files internal to the epub.
No doubt. Luckily both of my choices appear to have only minimal issues. My Boox tablet loads them quite well.
Apple Books takes a few moments to load and index, on the iPhone, but otherwise does fine once it’s in memory.
===
Again, I’m not using PDF; I’m using ePub. With reflow-able text. I simply choose not to downgrade images.
===
Type in calibre ebook into any search and you get many lists of best converters.
I’m sure the features beyond conversion are useful to many. To others, not.
===
ECC,
Again the idea is using calibre to convert from one format to another. If I wanted to go through extensive work for each document I’d use the command line and a script icon for drag’n’drop. I’d then have to open the epub folder, load the html into an editor, make all the formatting changes manually, then recompress it and ‘crush’ it.
Calibre makes the process a few clicks 99% of the time. A powerful converter.
===
I didn’t say I wanted the removed storage disabled. I said it would be nice to have the option to disable it.
My issue isn’t space: it’s my lack of interest in keeping multiple copies of things when only one file in one location would suffice.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:00 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Again, I’m not using PDF; I’m using ePub. With reflow-able text. I simply choose not to downgrade images.
Strange. About the only way I can see the Microsoft Encyclopedia of Networking reaching 822MB is using an image for each page, you are not going to see any text reflow. Hmm... 7'x9' page size, 1376 pages, scanned at 600dpi into jpeg format would give about 390MB of space used using approximately 10:1 compression.

Quote:
My issue isn’t space: it’s my lack of interest in keeping multiple copies of things when only one file in one location would suffice.
So set the time to keep to 1 day.

Though given the space I use for multiple copies of my files stored on various devices ranging from local external hard drives to cloud as backups, the 14 day default works for me. IMNSHO, 1 file in 1 location is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:29 PM   #73
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Ok, wrong title for the big one. I looked . The internet and networking dictionary.
1900-some pages.
But I have considerably larger ones. Like the Collected Church Fathers, with annotations. That’s the only ebook I have that creates trouble for my iPhone or tablet. Eventually I split it down to 4000 page blocks. And no, I don’t have the thought I’ll ever finish it. Lol

Ur that’s not the point. The point was why not add a minor bit of allowance.
Granted it only takes five clicks to delete now vs two.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:55 PM   #74
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I opened an enhancement request that may help:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2023604

My idea is a 'clear bin' menu entry. Then you can create an Action Chain with the 'clear bin' action and use the event manager to run it on Calibre shutdown (or a timer, though that might not be best for performance).

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-12-2023 at 08:59 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:20 PM   #75
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FFS: you can clear caltrash with two keystrokes, a user defined shortcut to pop the "Recently deleted books" dialogue, and Alt+C to 'press' the Clear button. If you want to keep the confirm message its three!

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote