Notices

Old 06-03-2023, 03:14 PM   #46
lostinlodos
Enthusiast
lostinlodos began at the beginning.

Device: multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
One day makes no difference unless your disk is already too small.
I think we get it. You don’t care about residual files on your system.
Some of us do. Clearly.

There is no reason why a direct deletion option cannot be implemented.

For those of us who prefer deletion to actually delete, the calibre trash folder is in the same folder as the book folders. And it takes two clicks to delete it. After 4 clicks to get there.
Extra unnecessary effort; but works quickly.
lostinlodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #47
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you use command-line to convert, you can skip Calibre trash entirely.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2023, 03:27 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinlodos View Post
I think we get it. You don’t care about residual files on your system.
Some of us do. Clearly.

There is no reason why a direct deletion option cannot be implemented.

For those of us who prefer deletion to actually delete, the calibre trash folder is in the same folder as the book folders. And it takes two clicks to delete it. After 4 clicks to get there.
Extra unnecessary effort; but works quickly.
Are you telling us that you empty the trash on your Mac after every delete operation?

As for permanently deleting the deleted files? I counted only 3 clicks and 1 key combo to do so. One click to get to the book menu, 1 click to open the Recently deleted item, 1 key combo to select all and 1 click to permanently delete selected items.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:17 PM   #49
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you telling us that you empty the trash on your Mac after every delete operation?
No. Not every time A script takes care of auto dumping hourly. For larger files, I’ll command click and delete permanently.

Is that really that strange to want deleted files to be deleted?
I know there’s some windows user thing of storing files in the recycling bin. But really?

Maybe some of you never used older systems where deletion was one step and permanent… or forgot.
But yes I generally empty the trash as soon as I add files to it.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:55 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No. Not every time A script takes care of auto dumping hourly. For larger files, I’ll command click and delete permanently.

Is that really that strange to want deleted files to be deleted?
I know there’s some windows user thing of storing files in the recycling bin. But really?

Maybe some of you never used older systems where deletion was one step and permanent… or forgot.
Does using DEC OS/8 and DG RDOS qualify me as using an older system?

Personally I prefer to keep deleted files around for a while. I don't know about the users you work with or if you only work on your own personal system but being able to restore a deleted file has been a life saver on occasion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2023, 11:37 PM   #51
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So why don't you fold emptying of the .caltrash folder into your auto-dump script?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:04 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I set it for 1 day.
But you seem to be more willing to keep around gigabytes of junk than I am.
In order to keep gigabytes of deleted eBooks, I would have to delete quite a number of them.

At present, I have 1 eBook and 3 formats (original_ePub) deleted. That is far from gigabytes of junk.

Just chill. This is a feature that helps.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:10 AM   #53
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
My Linux File Manager has a Delete command that actually deletes if I want to bypass trash. I think Windows Explorer has an option to bypass Recycle and instantly delete (Shift Del?). A quick search suggests three ways to avoid Trash on Mac OS. One involves disabling it. Another is to hold Option Key in Mac File Manager. A third is a utility.

So why add files to Trash to delete them? Can be avoided on Linux, Mac and Windows.

Also the Calibre caltrash is like a sort of cache if set to 1 day. It's obsessive to worry about that.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:45 AM   #54
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My Linux File Manager has a Delete command that actually deletes if I want to bypass trash. I think Windows Explorer has an option to bypass Recycle and instantly delete (Shift Del?). A quick search suggests three ways to avoid Trash on Mac OS. One involves disabling it. Another is to hold Option Key in Mac File Manager. A third is a utility.
Shift-del, yes. I believe you can also set the recycle bin to 0 mb and disable entirely.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:20 AM   #55
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's a radio button in the Windows Recycle Bin Property sheet: "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted."

If you don't want to do that, you can also use the 'del' command to remove a file permanently - recycle/trash/garbage bins hadn't been invented when it first saw light of day - RT11, OS/8 - something like that.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:31 AM   #56
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

There's also a few shell extensions (FileMenuTools) that can add direct-delete to the context menu. I imagine most third-party file managers worth their salt also have the option - XYPlorer does.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:38 AM   #57
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
There's a radio button in the Windows Recycle Bin Property sheet: "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted."

If you don't want to do that, you can also use the 'del' command to remove a file permanently - recycle/trash/garbage bins hadn't been invented when it first saw light of day - RT11, OS/8 - something like that.

BR
rm

Most distros now warn if it would delete everything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:47 AM   #58
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
rm

Most distros now warn if it would delete everything.
A bit of extra annoyance. But I understand it. Like here, I’d forgotten people use Calibre as a document management platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
So why don't you fold emptying of the .caltrash folder into your auto-dump script?

BR
Simply; because it resides in the system path. Which requires escalation.
I’m not willing to script my user password into an action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
... That is far from gigabytes of junk.…Just chill. This is a feature that helps.
Fairly small files. I regularly deal with much larger ones. The largest on on my iPhone is almost 800mb. Others routinely pass the 100MB mark. Hell, my daily news feed from 9-5Mac often passes 50MB.

As for helping, it doesn’t do anything for those of us using the program as a converter.

Quote:
So why add files to Trash to delete them? Can be avoided on Linux, Mac and Windows.
Option delete works on MacOS. Which is my usual method from Finder and FindAny.
But that doesn’t work from within most software file dialogs. I wasn’t obsessing. I was pointing out that the “feature” comes with no way to disable.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #59
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
As for helping, it doesn’t do anything for those of us using the program as a converter.
Use the command line to convert. This lets you avoid the trash-bin entirely.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:13 PM   #60
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Use the command line to convert. This lets you avoid the trash-bin entirely.
That generally defeats the purpose of a GUI. With calibre I can use the control key to select multiple files. Right click and chose convert. Chose from the drop down my format. And click ok.

When it’s finished I can right click and choose delete type. Allowing me to (no longer actually) delete a specific format. Drag to a new folder for output. Then (no longer actually) delete the files from the program.

The command line takes much more time and effort. Especially for multiple but not all, files in a folder.

I’ve already admitted my fault in forgetfulness that it’s used as a library and document storage platform.

I reiterate: there should be an option to disable it. I thing less and nothing more.