Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Disappearing ebook.

I bought an ebook from Amazon and put it on my Kindle Paperwhite 2; however, I can't get it to show on the reader.

I downloaded it the usual way, using the 'transfer via usb' option, and side-loaded it. I always do this and normally have no problems.

I've had four attempts to do this now, each time deleting the book, redownloading it from Amazon, then re-sideloading it. I've done several reader restarts, but it still won't show.

It's showing in the Kindle 4 PC software, but not on the reader.

I've checked the indexing, but it isn't stuck indexing.

I've also checked that the PW2 has enough room; it has masses of space left.

Does anyone have any ideas where this book disappears to and how to get it to be readable?

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
any download from amazon should have device specific DRM, so if you downloaded it for the PW2, it should be unreadable in Kindle for PC, and should not automatically appear there - is it ?
I assume transfer via USB asks you what device is is going to and that the PW2 is registered ?
this is amazon help for that process. is this what you are doing ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201733700

? why not download it direct from amazon to PW2, via wifi ?

the other , much simpler way that i would use is to ask amazon to send it to your Kindle for PC install , registered to the same amazon account,( using version 1.7 or older) , then add it to calibre ( with tools installed) and you have a version that now works anywhere.... sideload that..

Last edited by stumped; 12-26-2018 at 06:45 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
any download from amazon should have device specific DRM, so if you downloaded it for the PW2, it should be unreadable in Kindle for PC, and should not automatically appear there - is it ?
I assume transfer via USB asks you what device is is going to and that the PW2 is registered ?
this is amazon help for that process. is this what you are doing ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201733700

? why not download it direct from amazon to PW2, via wifi ?

the other , much simpler way that i would use is to ask amazon to send it to your Kindle for PC install , registered to the same amazon account,( using version 1.7 or older) , then add it to calibre ( with tools installed) and you have a version that now works anywhere.... sideload that..
The OP doesn't have wifi. And yes, her PW is registered.
Unfortunately I cannot help, as I sideload all my books from Calibre and have not encountered this issue.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

most likely she is not following the exact steps of the amazon link
i re-read it and you do have to select the target device for the book i.e. select from " my devices" where you plan to copy it to via USB, after you have downloaded it . if she is selecting PC, not PW2, that could explain it.
All I can suggest, if she want to do it amazons pay, is to print off the instructions, follow them exactly, call amazon if it does not work..
[ and maybe try another book e.g. a random free book, as a test run, to see if that shows up ok.]

Me, I'd do what most others here do, get it De DRMed & into calibre via K for PC, confirm it is readable in calibre, then copy it to wherever, however... as needed
the other way, with no personal wifi, is take the PW2 to a library or a coffee shop... somewhere with free wifi for patrons.... and use that to go direct from amazon to device.

if that is done with the device connecting securely and directly to amazon, it should be safe, even on public wifi - there is no need to type in credentials at any point ?
Old 12-30-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been downloading books this way for a long time. My kindle now has a name, I select the "transfer via computer" in the purchase options, then tell it where I want to read in (in my named kindle), then a box pops up giving me the option to save the file, which I do. This goes to my computer desktop. I then put this, via usb into the 'documents' file on my kindle.

What normally happens is that the book then shows up on my kindle AND on my kindle 4 pc (all my kindle books eventually show up there).

This time, however, the book just isn't visible on my kindle.

I bought another set of books at the same time (The Mouse That Roared series) and had no problems with this.

I've decided to return the book for refund, giving the reason as 'downloading problems'.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-30-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Advert
Old 01-01-2019, 01:09 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J

This morning I transfered a free Amazon book to the reader. Lo and behold, the missing book is now showing!
Amazon have already refunded me for the book, so I suppose I'll have to get back in touch with them. It cost £1.88. I'll try to do this via chat later. I hope they're working on new year's day.

I thought it might be easier to re-order it, but after doing this I think I've been credited with the refund, so haven't paid for it.

Sometimes honesty is just a lot of trouble!

Last edited by BookCat; 01-01-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:39 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
This morning I transfered a free Amazon book to the reader. Lo and behold, the missing book is now showing!
Amazon have already refunded me for the book, so I suppose I'll have to get back in touch with them. It cost £1.88. I'll try to do this via chat later. I hope they're working on new year's day.

I thought it might be easier to re-order it, but after doing this I think I've been credited with the refund, so haven't paid for it.

Sometimes honesty is just a lot of trouble!
I would not bother
It should just vanish again next time the device syncs with their servers.

But I would be inclined to order more free books just to stress test the delivery system to that device, in case there are still unresolved issues
You could check in content and devices on web or via kindle for pc to see if you apparently still own the book, and you could delete it from your cloud if so, if you want to be scrupulously honest

For any issues with any stuff under £5 Amazon usually just say keep it, it's not worth their time to try to untangle the refund.

Last edited by stumped; 01-01-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I would not bother
It should just vanish again next time the device syncs with their servers.

But I would be inclined to order more free books just to stress test the delivery system to that device, in case there are still unresolved issues
You could check in content and devices on web or via kindle for pc to see if you apparently still own the book, and you could delete it from your cloud if so, if you want to be scrupulously honest

For any issues with any stuff under £5 Amazon usually just say keep it, it's not worth their time to try to untangle the refund.
Because the kindle is in permanent aeroplane mode (I don't have wifi) it never syncs - it tells me this when I move books into a Collection. The book is available in the devices and contents on Amazon.

I'll try downloading more free or low cost books from Amazon to check that there isn't a delivery issue.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

in aeroplane mode, the device does not know about the recent return and refund, so it's probably behaving normally. in that it has found a book that you loaded via USB a while ago.
the only mystery is why it need a push from another book in the usb queue to get around to finding that one.

looks like amazon just credited you for the book because of a reported problem and that's all they did. Your goodwill is worth more to them than getting their $2 back !

i recall, long time ago, a quite expensive sat nav from amazon turned up , several weeks after we'd reported it as not delivered and been given the money back. When I told amazon about that , they just said keep it.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J

This is happening again. I've noticed that it happens with AZW format. If I convert this to AZW3 then load onto the reader, the book will show. However, a few days ago, I downloaded a free book from Amazon which is AZW. Calibre can't convert it because it's drm'd and I've let my friendship with Alf slip.

Is there some reason why my reader can't 'see' these books? The reader is registered and the book is totally legit.

Thanks in advance.
A very puzzled BookCat.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you 100% certain that you’re specifying the correct device when you do the “transfer via USB”? DRM for the wrong device would explain the symptoms you’re seeing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

I'll try downloading it again.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J

No that didn't help. I definitely specified the correct device. Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Recapping. So you buy at Amazon and request it via usb for pw2, the book file reaches pc ok. Goes via usb ok but fails to show on device, in device menus. I assume you can see it on device within a pc file explorer?
All I can think of is that the pw2 whih has been in aeroplane mode for years lacks some necessary firmware upgrade, and if you call Amazon that will be high on their troubleshooting ideas.

You say the method used to work ok. I am just wondering though if the pw2 needs to go online to get cover or metadata, or thumbnails, or if the usb transfer has 100pc of what is needed.

Or you have owned more than one pw2 and so as H suggested you are asking Amazon to prep it for the wrong device. Take a good look at my content and devices and see if any cross checks are possible e.g. via device Mac or device sn
So I think you need toilet the law go on line one time and let the device update its firmware... If that does not solve it then ask Amazon for help

I would update alf stuff also, not hard even if you have mostly forgotten how to, so you have a backup route of buy, send to k for pc, add to calibre , then pass tomdevice from there.
Just as a general principle it is good to have unlocked versions of all purchases.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J

Stumped: I have only ever owned one Kindle.

This was recently - about a month ago - registered and the firmware was updated to the latest which is available for the PW2: 5.9.7 There is no further update for the PW2 in the UK. I did this by using a friend's wifi, so it was online not long ago.

Yes, I can see the book on the device via pc file explorer.

So I'm, pardon the pun, stumped as to what is going wrong. But this happened with one, non-drm'd book (from Amazon) and converting AZW to AZW3 solved the problem.

So I'll update Alf and see if this solves the issue. If that doesn't help, I'll contact Amazon, though I don't expect them to be a great deal of use.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has this problem.

Tags
disappearing book, transfer